Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AHC or other

warrenpfo

I was just wondering if you had the money to maintain and service the AHC system on your 100 for the life of the vehicle would you? OR would you rather swap it out for OME, Ironman, Bilstien, Fox etc...

The only reason i ask is that my AHC works well and yes the 100 rolls round corners but if i flip the switch to sport is gets better but then when on the motor way when on comfort its like driving my sofa about which is great. I guess its just a matter of cost that people swap it out for the system of their choice and the fact it reduces roll and dip on breaking.

Personally, swap. I have used mine in some pretty remote places and didn't want the added complication

Julian that is a fair call. If you where going to use your car as an everyday drive and perhaps do the odd tip to Europe would you still have the same opinion as I can understand the swap out if you are doing an overland journey.

I think the simple fact if it fails your fooked would mean its non desireable in something well travelled. Unlike a coilspring which you can bodge/replace/repair.

The 80 series JDM cars have adjustable dampers called TEMS which are adjustable between soft & firm, these are dead simple & reliable plus its just a damper at the end of the day.

Citroens were never reliable with the bouncy balls though Mr T may have improved on the idea (its a Citroen patent at the end of the day) a spring is a spring, gas, liquid & rubber really are'nt such a clever concept in the reliabilty stakes.

Warren, It had to go in my opinion. I did have the misfortune of driving mine with a failed AHC system, 5 minutes is about all I could stand, the thought of driving back from Southern Spain like that would fill me with dread
I however would probably do the dead when current AHC failed, I can't think it is good value to repair when you consider the price of Mr T parts
If you are interested I do have some parts that might smooth the transition along

I'd keep it.
For the comfort.
For the possibility to be a bit higher when needed.
Stays level with or without any load.

Not that difficult to maintain and repair, but takes a bit more time all in all.
The first things you have to replace are the rear coil springs, whether you have ahc or not.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think it's horses for courses. I can see the reasoning behind removing and replacing the AHC when travelling in far off and remote places (I don't know of a single South African that would seriously considering the use of AHC while driving in the bush). Alas I don't live in South Africa and I don't drive in the bush. My truck is a beast of burden, a luxury load lugger more suited to the M25 than the outback and that's why I just LOVE the AHC. But I'll take uHu's advice and change the rear springs. I always thought that they were a bit too skinny for my liking.

John

The Dark Dude

BTW uTu!

If I am to get rid of those skinny little rear coil springs WHAT exactly am I to replace them with? Suggestions welcomed....

John

The Dark Dude

The AHC needs to carry it's part of the load. I.e. to have a certain pressure, for the shock-absorber valving to function correctly. So, we can't just throw in a beefier spring unless the weight of the truck has increased.
What I was pointing at three posts up was that the first part to need replacement due to wear, in the suspension of all LCs, is the rear coil spring. (And the front needs tightening of the TBs)
Looks like the coils of the AHC version weakens even faster than those without AHC. After five years, the Neutral Pressure is for sure too high.

uTu

Thanks for the tip and I think you're right. After 13 years, I think my "original" rear spring are in dire need of a rest and retirement. Another job for Greg and company, I guess!

John

The Dark Dude

uTu

Since retro-fitting a "swing away" spare wheel carrier onto my LC100 I've noticed that the ride of my truck as improved. Do you know of ANY reason why this would be the case?

John

The Dark Dude

I presume the spare used to live underneath, it might be the transfer of wheel/carrier weight a little further rearward could have made a difference, does the front feel any different going over bumps?

Well, Andrew, I don't know about that but Cossack might have a point. I usually ride normal trim, (no sport or comfort) and a week ago taking a bump on the front end wasn't for the faint hearted. Now it is, my truck just floats over them. If this is a dream, I'm going to be keeping off the cheese for the foreseeable future.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John

The Dark Dude.

I'm a real fan of the AHC. If well maintained, with fluid changed and spheres regassed before they go flat (fairly cheap by Pleiades), the system shouldn't be any trouble.

let's not forget that the idea had been perfected by Citroen, Roll Royce and others for nearly 40 years before Mr. Toyo decided to make it even better and fit it to the 100

Yes. Sure the AHC/tems is comfy and practical. Nice to be able to switch off the corrugations on bad roads.
I like the benefits, but when I bought the 100, I was looking for one without ahc, with manual gearbox, as simple as possible.
There is no doubt, e.g. when you cross africa or something, that it's better without the ahc. To be able to drive an ahc equipped vehicle, quite a few extra parts have to do their part:
  • The pump has to work
    The spheres have to hold up
    If the weight is too high, the ahc will just give up
    The "shocks" have to hold up (not leak)
    The sensors have to give the right signal
    and sensor links can be broken
    The valves and the ECU have to work
And this is in addition to the normal suspension parts, i.e BOTH the ahc And the normal springs have to be in good shape.
With normal conventional suspension there are less parts to keep maintained, and easier to repair in the field.

I think Toyota should have designed greater load capacity into the system. Mine would play up on family camping trips in the UK, not to the point of total failure, but droping to L and refusing to come up to N without weight being removed, that with 80 series springs in the rear and torsion bars cranked to ensure pressures were in spec. It's a nice system if you're not going far from home or overloading :)

Jon Wildsmith said:
...It's a nice system if you're not going far from home or overloading :)
succinct :thumbup:

Back