Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AHC question

foss

Hi
am I right in thinking AHC is similar to ACE on a Disco 2 (hydraulic stability control)...I removed this on my D2 and it was much more capable off road and less problematic with standard roll bars...is this the same reasoning on an LC?
What sort of costs are involved in a swap ? And do all 100 series have AHC ?
Thanks
Foss

I removed mine and replaced it with an OLD MAN EMU kit . It cost me £900 for the full kit which includes torsion bars springs,shocks and two wishbone strengthening brackets. I replaced it on my own so no labour cost just some busted knuckles!!
I think pre 2000 the 100's were on standard shocks n springs but I'm not too sure!

From what I have read AHC was an option on GX models and standard on higher spec models.

Hi
am I right in thinking AHC is similar to ACE on a Disco 2 (hydraulic stability control)...I removed this on my D2 and it was much more capable off road and less problematic with standard roll bars...is this the same reasoning on an LC?
What sort of costs are involved in a swap ? And do all 100 series have AHC ?
Thanks
Foss
Don't now ACE, but it doesn't sound like the same, as the cruiser is actually more capable offroad with ahc than without, in stock version. It's softer, higher (high and X-tra high) and the anti roll bar is slightly softer. So, more flex and more height than the standard in stock version.

The AHC is a hybrid gas/steel (steel = coils & torsion bars) suspension system, with hydaulic transfer of suspension movement from the wheel ("shock") to the gas sphere (nitrogen). The damper function is then in a system of valves between the shock and the gas-spring, making it very adjustable. The system uses input from G-force, steering, braking, accelleration, suspension height and movement, resonant movement in suspension (wash board), and user input.

Drawbacks are complexity and more parts, and that the coils springs have to be changed every 5 years or thereabouts.

To swap to OME or something like that doesn't cost more on an AHC vehicle than on one with conventional suspension, as you have to change all springs and shocks in any case. Only a bit more work to remove unwanted parts/weight of the ahc system.
It is possible to make the ahc suspension stronger or higher, but not with a ready made kit.

I was going to post a separate tread about my experience with the AHC but it seems more sensible to post it here. I have had my cruiser now for over a 16 months. It was first brought as a replacement for my Vauxhall Frontera because Sharon was finding it increasingly difficult to cope with it's firm ride duiring our manys trips to the Royal Free Hospital. The AHC of the LC100 was a god send. Sharon took her last journey in Hanna and as always it was as smooth as silk. Got to change the coils springs though. Then on Friday, I disccovered the "other" reason why Shaz and me had brought our LC100 when I ventured off road for the first time. OMG! I can't express in words the amount of sheer joy and excitement I had. You could see my smile from outta space. I did things in that car I didn't think I was capable of and not once did my truck miss a beat. This was going junglist in deepest Kent. I mean mud everywhere, steep tree covered inclines. Ruts you could sink a house in. And "we" did this on run of the mill road going tyres and AHC. Slap me in the face and call me Honky, man did I have fun. So sorry folks there is no way that I'm ripping out my AHC system, not anytime soon. If ever!John

I agree with John the AHC is fantastic. The other week I gave my aged parents, they are in their 80's, their first ride in my V8. My mum who never coments on cars remarked on how smooth and comfortable the ride was. To top this my wife who never can sleep in a car now can and does. I love it.

Sorry that you lost Sharon and she was unable to enjoy the offroading experience with you but it sounds as if you had fun.

Paul c

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul

You couldn't be more wrong (but I appreciate your kind sentiments). Sharon was there with me in spirit, screaming her bloody head off! I just really get cheesed off with the prevailing notion that the AHC is rubbish and needs to be gotten rid at the earliest opportunity. Yes, it can be VERY expensive when it goes wrong BUT it needs not be, with a little thought and a trip to Peterbourough. Now don't get me wrong , if you intend to take your motor well and truly off the beaten track then replacing the AHC system with a set of OME springs and dampers would be the most prudent thing to do. BUT if your car is going to be staying in the UK, anywhere in the UK then (and this is only MHO), removal of the AHC is sheer madness. I intend to purchase another LC100 but this time a oil burner for my African adventures. It won't be arriving in JHB with the AHC still attached. Mores the pity!

John

Last edited:
Back