Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Airbag light

cavanmick

Country Flag
ireland
Hi folks, recently changed the airbag ribbon behind the steering wheel on my 1998 95 as it had broken, the light is still flashing though so do any of you good folks know how to reset the system please. Cheers

When I changed the 'spiral cable' in my '98 95 I found that I didn't have an earth connection around the steering wheel. I still don't know why, but I used a spare connection on the ribbon and wired an earth at each end - the Airbag light went out and the horn worked after that.

Does the horn work on yours ?? If it does I guess it isn't an earth problem.

I didn't have to reset the airbag light after replacing the cable so I'm guessing the problem is more fundamental than that.

Cheers.

Bob.

Yeh horn works perfect bob, that was why I changed it in the first place, PO had changed the steering rack and broke the ribbon in the process, ribbon I fitted to it looks perfect but airbag light is still flashing.

All I can suggest is that you do a continuity check across the spiral cable input and output plugs (the yellow ones). Don't go putting voltage into the airbag itself though :shock:.

Do you have the Max Ellery Manual ?? There is a section on fault finding which may help in tracing the problem.

Bob.

Try disconnecting both the battery terminals overnight and touching the leads together in the morning to make sure there is no residual power in the truck sometimes it its enough to reset . Failing that i've got a spare squib i bought it because my indicator stalk was shorting my headlights out , as it turned out my squib was a male connector and the replacement came with a female so i just took the stalk out of it . You can have that for post cost if it will help .

Last edited:
Thanks Bob and shayne, I will take the battery leads off this morning in work and leave them for an hour or so, had thought about joining the leads alright so will try that and see how we get on, thanks again lads.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back