Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alps in July - Switzerland,Italy,France

I didn't mean boxed wine, but bottles in a box :). We got a load of wine near valence a couple years ago. At Tain l'hermitage near touron Rhone. There is a wine co-op where a load of local vineyards sell wine and you can taste lots different wines and by bottles in boxes for easy transport :). Also found a similar place on outskirts of Beaune which is handy for bulk buying. Hope to stop at both in October. Wonder if I can fill the 70l water tank with wine too ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting... Yeah I meant the boxes of 6 too! Couldn't be having wine boxes..But we went to a hypermarket for this run. Will definitely check out the wine co-ops next time. We did get some prosecco in Italy from a local producer, and some wine from an old lady who minds a church - makes her own wine and filled our 3litre plastic bottle for €4... It was delicious!

Great photo's i'm green with envy , how long was your trip ? days or weeks i mean .

Last edited:
Great pics Bob, and nice to see the French wine is heading safely back home. We are also off over to France in 2 weeks and need to replenish our wine mountain....:icon-biggrin:

We took 3 weeks altogether Shayne, a week in each place. (3670 miles for those who are interested) As usual we would have stayed longer.. (both teachers by profession). We came home as we had tickets to see a country music star who cannot be named in these parts... Damn....

great pics, fond memories, love love love the Alps. One of the few places I would consider living outside the UK

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glad you enjoyed the 'Deche; I've spent about 3 months working on it as a guide for one of the UK companies, so know it pretty well. What the rent-a-crash mob don't tell you is how dangerous some of the rapids are on the lower section... there are a couple with some nasty bits that are undercut or will just pin and wrap on you.

Also in/near the Ardeche department is the Chasserzac, which is another nice river, not as big or as busy as the Ardeche is, but still very pleasant.

I've done a bit of mountain biking in the Ardeche, which ended up becoming mountain goat trails...

There's always been a lot of 70 series down that way; at least one company ran a Troopy as one of their shuttle trucks.

I agree with you there, there were one or two tricky rapids that would catch out people who didn't know what they were at. Which in the case of the crowd we rented from could be anyone. They just give you the kayak and paddle and tell you where to get out. I wouldn't be experienced but knew enough to have fun with them.

Did you do Black Tooth (Dent Noir) or Gournier? Black tooth is on a right hand bend, where the Pompiers are stationed, just before Gaud Bivi site, whilst Gournier is on a sweeping left hand bend that then kinks to the right (again Pompiers are stationed there) and the Gournier Bivi site is on the LHS. They're the 2 worst ones, but there are a couple of others that I really like, but for the life of me can't remember the name of...

What people don't realise is that there are only a few routes out of the gorge; Gaud, Gournier, La Mas and Nudist are the 3 main egress points once you are in the gorge, until you get to the end nearer British Airway's (I can't remember the French name) when it starts to open up again.

One event that sticks in my memory was when I was guiding I ended up giving a Pompier one of our canoes to evac someone as they'd damaged an ankle; as we carried a lot of spare kit (PFD's and paddles) we could safely lend them the boat, put the kids in with an instructor and carry on our way. Having seen the Pompiers walking in to the casualty with all their kit (I'd say it was at least 8km from the end of the main bit of the gorge, and no idea where they'd left their truck...) it was only fair! Another, more sombre one, was hearing that someone had got trapped in the approach to the Pont D'arc wave train, under one of the rocks at the top... that didn't end well... There's a reason why all whenever I paddle on white water I wear a helmet and minimise my snag risks as much as I can.

Oh, and the view from the top of the hill at Gaud Bivi is pretty good:

205528_4905590855_4723_n.jpg

And me playing at Pont D'arc:
1918008_138901955855_3585339_n.jpg

I stopped (professionally) guiding on the river as I loved the area too much, and guiding on it 6 days per week for months on end started to spoil it... Since stopping the guiding, I've paddled it another 2 times recreationally, and that last photo was when I organised for the canoe club to go down. We took over one area of the Camping Mondial, on the river right bank, over the bridge from Vallon Pont D'Arc, with 6 or 7 car loads of us down there.

If people do want to paddle the river, and know what they are doing, the better time for river levels is April/May/June; July and August can be hit and miss depending on rain fall, and they do close the river to individuals, only allowing professionally guided groups when it is too high.

(OK must remember I'm supposed to be talking about cars here, not kayaking and canoeing... Does my user name give it away that I enjoy kayaking?! :think:)

I don't know the names Ed, but it was a right hand bend if that's a help. Quite a few rocks, but plenty of people around if you get in trouble including the pomps. I really enjoyed it, and will definitely go back.. Especially for the first bit we did from Sampzon to Vallon over the digues, which was so peaceful... Only ourselves and one other kayak.

As for other diesel related issues, the cruiser was very efficient on the run. I managed 470 miles from one tank which was the best I've ever had. Interestingly (gets anorak)... It was on the cheap Gazole in France, not the dearer excellium..

Back