Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alps in July - Switzerland,Italy,France

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
Just been on booking our trip for July. Driving to Lake Garda first. So looking for a recommendation for a good day trip in the area. Looking at Bormio and the Stelvio Pass, but not sure if there's any lanes or off tarmac tracks in that area.

After that it's a week in St.Tropez - beach & relaxation

Third leg is Vallon Pont d'Arc in the Ardeche national park. Again, wondering if there were any suggestions for that area .
Truck is fairly standard so nothing too crazy...

Appreciate any ideas.

Bob

Hi, Vallon pont de'Arc is very close to where the "Trophee Cevenol" used to be held, one of the best events in Europe, not bash and crash, just technical very difficult driving, there are some amazing off road tracks there, thing is that some of the Cevennes National park are now a big no no for 4x4, However if you are interested I can put you in touch with a guide for that region, he usually charged €100 per car per day, but, it'll knock your socks off, he'll tailor the trail tough or touristy, whatever you want, my friends and I have used him in the winter and spring and hope to go to Corsica with him on holiday (4x4 of course) in Sept/Oct time, not as paying clients though. However if you don't go trailing I'm confident you'll have a lovely holiday there, are you using the campsite on the river? It's beautiful, canoeing, fishing, mmmmm have fun ( pm me if you want info, I'm not connected with the guide, but he is a friend) best regards, Bill Westley
PS, he has a bruiser 70 with everything for the tough bits and a very nice 80 with everything for overlanding

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Bill,

staying in a campsite close to the river alright, but not the municipal one. Those trails sound fantastic, although more suited to a modded truck. As mine is my daily driver, I'm not too keen on very technical trailing. I would be interested to know if there were any soft trails open to the public. Really appreciate the offer of your friend though.

Get a copy of the IGN map for the area, either electronic or paper - Chemins - these are sort of stone/unmade roads that criss cross the country side - most always open and clear as the hunters use them! (dont worry, Hunting between September and Feb!) Most of them are pretty easy, so would suit your truck. as long as your truck/moto is road legal, you can drive them. Some are even signposted! (found some near me the other day & didnt even know they were there!) You can see most on google maps too

Get a copy of the IGN map for the area, either electronic or paper - Chemins - these are sort of stone/unmade roads that criss cross the country side - most always open and clear as the hunters use them! (dont worry, Hunting between September and Feb!) Most of them are pretty easy, so would suit your truck. as long as your truck/moto is road legal, you can drive them. Some are even signposted! (found some near me the other day & didnt even know they were there!) You can see most on google maps too

hello again, that's handy to know about the IGN maps, I'd forgotten about them, also some Garmin satnavs have the tracks, my old "quest" does, but we are reliably informed not all the tracks in the Cevenol Park are 4x4 useable and a lot are restricted and policed by Rangers some on motorbikes some in 4x4s, I'm sure it would be possible to find out out which are open and which are closed, otherwise how would anyone know where to drive?, our pal Jacques, the guide, has the restricted areas on his i pad, and he must have got it somewhere!
Anyway, hope this is of help, have fun

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry meant sat nav, oops edited now

Last edited:
So we've been looking at a route to take us to our 3 destinations. The idea is to do a loop, rather than doubling back. Only 3 and a half weeks to go now.. Looking forward to it!

b7a17c0f94a11d95161435e0fa09b147_zps8c352a09.jpg

Hi, not long now, route looks good, are you familiar with the Lyons to Reims route? If you are in a hurry for that last leg, may I point out that's a very dull road, good if you are towing a caravan as it's quite level with no steep or very long hills, and it's a toll road, apologies if you know this already, best regards, Bill Westley

Cheers Bill, yeah I've driven it a couple of times. To be honest, at the end of a trip we usually just want to get on up the road. The pootling about will be done on the way down and while we are there.

Have an IGN map for the Ardeche now, so I'm looking at routes in that area. Also have some Kayaking planned there. For Italy I have the Stelvio Pass pencilled in..

Now to service the truck, and replace the rear discs as I think I have a warp in one but other than that the truck is 100%

So far so good. ... 1 week... Tick tock....

Last edited:
Well we're all packed up and ready for the off in the morning.. plenty of room for wine on the way home too behind the front seats. I'll wave if I spot any familiar trucks on my way through

IMAG0112_zpsny9i91am.jpg

Ok, got some WiFi... So just a little teaser from passo Stelvio.... Absolutely majestic...

IMAG0165_zpsw9nagzej.jpg

Our trip to Italy & France

The drive down: We crossed the UK in the evening for the first time – crossed it 20 times during the day – what a revelation!! No traffic jams! Took an overnight in Ashford and then on to Dover. Bought the lovely cheap diesel in Luxembourg (€1.20) which the LC found very tasty indeed! The drive across Switzerland was beautiful – the motorway provides some stunning views – well worth the cost of a vignette. The St. Gothard tunnel also reminded me of how much trouble you would actually be in if something happened in there… its bloody long and narrow!

Italian autostrada are very well signposted and laid out, but they are bumpy as hell.. clattered the bump stops on the back a few times between Milan and Brescia.

We enjoyed the beautiful scenery of lake Garda and some good times with the outlaws… I mean in-laws!
IMAG0172_zpsdpwe43xa.jpg

Then I took off on a spin up the mountains to see the Stelvio Pass in the above post. Took a look around and wen up a gravel track that actually stopped above the road on the opposite side – just stunning!
IMAG0143_zpstucoewkv.jpg

However I noticed the transfer box lever getting hot on the way and also had a small bit of vibration from time to time on the autostrada – my thoughts suggested a worn UJ on the front shaft… but it was driving fine and cooled back down after a while. It did change my plans for France though – and although I was happy to keep driving the truck, I thought it best to stay on tarmac to prevent undue strain on the front axle – so no laning for Bob :thumbdown:

Then it was off to St. Tropez for a week. Stayed in a lovely campsite – Les Tournels
IMAG0215_zpstpkumfly.jpg
It was 2km from Ramateulle – possibly the most beautiful little village I’ve ever seen.

Did some driving around the coast route to Cannes
IMAG0224_zpsatjim2p2.jpg

and also a great route (D104) through a village called Plan de la Tour – it was like a rally super special!

IMG-20140726-WA0001_zpsostoiqd1.jpg

Last stop was Vallon Pont d’Arc in the Ardeche. It’s a really picturesque area with lots to do. Great drive through the Gorges.
IMAG0251_zps87ybvkqn.jpg

We also rented some canoes and headed down the river - doing 13km in one stretch – it was great fun going over the wiers and rapids.
DSC00801_zps72de9c7d.jpg

Little left to do but head back home – which brought one more delight. Sitting in traffic south of Lyon in a thunderstorm my poor Landcruiser got struck by lightning! Brightest flash I’ve ever seen and a noise like a bullwhip cracking beside you – hairs on our arms stood to attention for that! I am very greatful for the Faraday cage effect!

We also spotted a lot of swb 70 series trucks – they’re everywhere
IMAG0125_zpsyalaticq.jpg
DSC00821_zps5003313f.jpg

This was also necessary….

IMG-20140726-WA0000_zpsmhriykzd.jpg

All in all a very enjoyable trip – but now I’ve to get my hands dirty looking at the drivetrain – hopefully its not internal to the boxes..

Looked like a great time! Love the last pic though, my Favorite!

Hope its nothing too serious in the drive train :(

Steve

Great trip BOB, love the alps. Any views like that bring a lump to my throat.

Thanks for posting...:thumbup:

Nice photos, but shame you didn't get off road
50 bottles :)
We usually get around 70, but with extra space in hilux hope to get over 100 during our autumn trip. Usually get cardboard box cases of 6 bottles. Much easier to pack and no rattling.
Hope you enjoyed the trip
Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers Andy, the way time worked out, it made sense to buy the wine in the south in Valence....so no boxed wines. Easy to pack in one of my blue cartons though.. not a rattle! Got great looks from other customers not used to seeing such bulk buying!!We already had 30 left from our last haul, so no need to go mad!!

Back