Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alps Maritimes - 2015

Fantastic trip, love the photos and I would have been straight down those bunkers and tunnels as I too am fascinated by them.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Thanks For latest update and what superb weather too
Keen to visit Colmar too, as you know we like stocking up with wine on our return runs ;)

That Assetia trail along ridge is superb, driven it twice and want to do it again and spend more time walking to some of the fortifications
I watched the Giro D'italia live on TV earlier in year when they had a stage which included Susa to Sestriere via those swtichbacks. Amazing to see road bikes riding up the gravel track to Coll.
You missed out Fort Jafferau, you must got back to do that, one of highlights of the route for me.

Spain for us next year, but keen to do these Alps trails again, but Vibraction chap Phillipe is doing a rece in Balkans at the moment and will hopefully have a roadbook for that area in 2016, which is tempting :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Its a great area to visit. Magnificent scenery, and they allow you to drive on the tracks - what more could you want!

Yes, we did miss out on Fort Jafferau - it seems we inadvertently sacrificed it to the great god Bacchus in our search for fine wine when we headed for Alsace straight after Assetia! I think on this trip we could have done with another 2 day. It would have allowed us to finish of the whole route -as it was, we ran out of time on the trails because we wanted to include Alsace - and it would have made the return drive a little easier, however the amount of holiday didnt permit.

I am also looking at the Balkans. Orginally planned for 2016 but am also tempted with a fly-drive in South Africa to do some wild life photography.

Great pictures, good report, my pals and I drove this exact route the second week in September this year, we had better weather tho by the look of it. what a great route eh? Well recommended , your pictures are better than mine There are more routes to do! Hope to go again, well worth the trip. Best regards, Bill Westley

Great pics and an awesome trek from the looks of it

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great trip Reinhard, good write up and loads of fantastic photos.

Thanks for all the effort taken to share it :thumbup:

Hi thanks for the pics it look like you had a lot of fun :thumbup: from Tony.

Cracking trip. I didnt know the alps held such secrets.. no problems with wild camping?

You can usually find camp spots and the roadbook Mark quite a few of them. We had a shepherd get stroppy once, but he was then ok when we said just for one night.
You cannot wild camp in national park areas though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok. Are the books available in english?

We didnt have any problems wild camping. We tend to set up late and leave early. Also where possible we try to camp out of sight. I think that generally as long as you camp away from houses etc you should be ok. If anyone objected we would have just moved on. Being a single vehicle has advantages.

The books are in French only, but are easily translated using Google

Back