Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alps Maritimes - 2015

Yup I can see he photos now. Loving the fort photos, I am fascinated by them too. Didn't actually goto these ones so will have to go back and remedy that!

There is a great one after strada assetia, at east end and on a detour off main roadbook route, which has long underground tunnels into a magazine which we explored with AndrewT

You will have to drive the val disere route which goes up north to through Italy on old salt road etc, I can provide route info it's all on wikiloc. More forts there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really nice photos Reinhard, as usual, thanks for all the effort of posting, I would guess that took a few hours.

The old villages you passed through are fantastic, love those narrow stepped pathways between the houses. And that's one hell of a serpentine track! :thumbup:

Too wonderful places buddy, thank you for sharing! Awesome country side and scenery.

Thanks all.

The following morning we headed back into the hills, but had very heavy rain for most of the morning

. 070.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

We came across a bunker with the Free French symbol carved in a rock nearby

074.jpg

075.jpg

I went to explore. Tbh I was expecting the structure to be some kind of gun post but instead it turned out to be the entrance to a tunnel system

076.jpg

077.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

080.jpg

Back on the surface it was still raining but we had to press on. The tarmac road we were on came to an end and we drove onto a dirt track in an amazing ladscape

081.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

We would have liked to get out and explore, but it was really chucking it!

Back on tarmac we passed this old military strucuture

084.jpg

It looks like one of those old forts you see out in the desert. May be the legion were here as well!

Still raining ...

085.jpg

086.jpg

Bummer about the weather, I missed those that tunnel system though. Hope you don't mind thread jack,, but here are some pics taken in same place in June. Motivated to return there now and spend more time on foot and bike :)

c50474c8e2ed82f6260f40940254b293.jpg

685809952b29f70a7b17de7e15f5afb3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The afternoon brought clear weather and antoher great track through a forest

087.jpg

088.jpg

089.jpg

The forest opened up to a beautiful valley

090.jpg

with am equally beautiful lake

091.jpg

That evening we camped in a high meadow just off a very slippery track

092.jpg

The following morning we spotted deer in the hills

093.jpg

I wanted to air down the tyres because of the slippery track. In the process I noticed a nail in one of the tyre. Rather than risk it becoming a puncture, I swapped it for the spare

094.jpg

Crossing another ski slope we descended oonto the valley and back on to tarmac. We were soon back on the dirt track that leads to the valley on the south side of Col du Parpaillon ... another spectacular valley ...

095.jpg

096.jpg

We saw more marmotes

097.jpg

the track up to the col is narrow, stoney and has a few interesting switch backs to go with the great views

098.jpg

The entrance to Tunnel Parpaillon is at the top of the track.

099.jpg

This French girl and her dog wanted to walk through the tunnel using the torch on her mobile phone ... she quickly changed her mind. The inside of the tunnel is cold and damp, the ground is uneven with flooded potholes (someone even said that tunnel floods in heavy rain - apparently it has a dip in the middle, which is why you cant see the light at the end of the .... Part of the tunnel wall is brick, but part of it is crudely cut rock. Anyway we give the girl and her dog a lift to the other side.

100.jpg

101.jpg

The entrances of the tunnel still have the steel snow doors which travellers have adorned with stickers ... I didnt have any club sticker - we should make some.

102.jpg

The views on the otherside were equally spectacular

103.jpg

104.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bummer about the weather, I missed those that tunnel system though. Hope you don't mind thread jack,, but here are some pics taken in same place in June. Motivated to return there now and spend more time on foot and bike :)

c50474c8e2ed82f6260f40940254b293.jpg

685809952b29f70a7b17de7e15f5afb3.jpg

Yes, thats the place. There is a lot to explore. You need to take it slow and spend time in partcular areas - the problem for us usually is the time and the amount of ground we want to cover. Would be great to live and work in Nice with the Alps so close.

The landscape really changes when the sun comes out.

More great photos Reinhard, many thanks!

I liked the warning triangle when you were changing the wheel!

Second the club sticker BTW, I wonder if Cris is listening... :think:

We descended into the valley and headed to Ebrun for fuel and to stock up on some French goodies

106.jpg

and were soon off the tarmac again

105.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

We could see a glacier in the distance

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

That night we stayed in a campsite in Guilliestre. Spaghetti Marinara tonight!

112.jpg

In the morning we went to explore the village

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

Spotted this in town ...

116.jpg

Havent posted a pic of mine for a while :)

117.jpg

The back sits a little low. The rear springs are heavy duty, but I think they might need a little assistance when loaded

More great views ...

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

Spotted another cruiser

123.jpg

We camped in a meadow surrounded by forest

124.jpg

Mushroom cleaning - we still have some in the freezer!

125.jpg

Lamb (with mushrooms) tonight

126.jpg

Hi Reinhard, just found this and saw your post 10 about the thunderstorm.

If caught in a storm, your best place is inside the vehicle. The Lightning has travelled through the air for half a mile so it's not going to have a problem leaping from any part of a car to ground. I certainly wouldn't be on the roof unless in a metal tent.

The key is that most of the roof of your vehicle is connected well enough to the sides and the base. Any lightning strike connects with the roof, conducts round the metalwork, breaking through any mastic that is present in joints or seams. It continues through the metalwork and exits at a point close to the ground (or can travel in the opposite direction). The metalwork presents what is termed a 'Faraday Cage' and as long as you are inside it you cannot receive a shock. Being a diesel you will have little to no chance of fire due to fuel. However, if ever a vehicle is struck, you need to check that nothing has been set on fire, tyres are the most likely if the lightning has jumped from the rim to the ground. An electrical arc such as lightning exhibits temperatures three times as hot as the surface of the sun for fractions of a second and carries currents of many thousands of Amps. This could cause areas of metalwork on the car to become warm or even hot due to current flow. Secondary effects may include wipers or other devices operating and damage could possibly occur to electronic items, though this may be unlikely. The truck would also experience localised paint damage at entry and exit points.

If I'm at home, and lightning gets really close, I head for my car…it's THE safest place. You don't need to avoid touching the metalwork BTW, you wouldn't feel a shock but could feel any heat generated.

If caught in the open crouch down with your ankles and knees together, hands over your head and elbows on your knees. Sometimes a 'leader stroke' comes up from the ground or seeks out a path and you can feel your hair stand on end. This is the time for everyone nearby to drop to the crouched position immediately as a strike will usually occur very close within seconds.

Hope this helps.
Richard

More great photos, and good to see the weather cleared up.
That lake south of Jausiers, which you photographed, and wild camping near it is a wonderful spot isn't it. Although a shepherd got annoyed with us initially for camping on a meadow up the valley from the lake, but then was fine when we said for one night only,

The tunnel and trails and views from it look superb, hope it is a case of 3rd time lucky for us, the track has been closed due to landslides or snow when we have tried in June/July in past

Mushrooms must have been tasty too

Super trip Reinhard. Just the sort of cultural stuff I a like.

Absolutely gorgeous area, we spent 3 weeks around in the same area in '11.
looks like we had better weather though ;)

image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks Richard. I know the inside of the car should be safe, and figured the roof tent was not the place to be. It was somewhat unnerving being at altitude and with a low cloud base.

Hi Reinhard, just found this and saw your post 10 about the thunderstorm.

If caught in a storm, your best place is inside the vehicle. The Lightning has travelled through the air for half a mile so it's not going to have a problem leaping from any part of a car to ground. I certainly wouldn't be on the roof unless in a metal tent.

The key is that most of the roof of your vehicle is connected well enough to the sides and the base. Any lightning strike connects with the roof, conducts round the metalwork, breaking through any mastic that is present in joints or seams. It continues through the metalwork and exits at a point close to the ground (or can travel in the opposite direction). The metalwork presents what is termed a 'Faraday Cage' and as long as you are inside it you cannot receive a shock. Being a diesel you will have little to no chance of fire due to fuel. However, if ever a vehicle is struck, you need to check that nothing has been set on fire, tyres are the most likely if the lightning has jumped from the rim to the ground. An electrical arc such as lightning exhibits temperatures three times as hot as the surface of the sun for fractions of a second and carries currents of many thousands of Amps. This could cause areas of metalwork on the car to become warm or even hot due to current flow. Secondary effects may include wipers or other devices operating and damage could possibly occur to electronic items, though this may be unlikely. The truck would also experience localised paint damage at entry and exit points.

If I'm at home, and lightning gets really close, I head for my car…it's THE safest place. You don't need to avoid touching the metalwork BTW, you wouldn't feel a shock but could feel any heat generated.

If caught in the open crouch down with your ankles and knees together, hands over your head and elbows on your knees. Sometimes a 'leader stroke' comes up from the ground or seeks out a path and you can feel your hair stand on end. This is the time for everyone nearby to drop to the crouched position immediately as a strike will usually occur very close within seconds.

Hope this helps.
Richard

Thanks for the comments everyone. The Alps are a truely outstanding destination. I had reservations about the trip - the destination and the short duration, but it turned out to be brilliant. Will definitately go again.

The following morning we continued along the trail

127.jpg

128.jpg

passing an ancient artifact

129.jpg

before reaching tarmac. We continued north stopping in town of Briancon.

130.jpg

131.jpg

132.jpg

133.jpg

134.jpg

We spotted a couple oldies in town

135.jpg

136.jpg

We slipped across the border into Italy, heading out on the tracks. Although it was Sunday and there were people around, no one seemed bothered by us and the other 4x4's in the area

137.jpg

138.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

a detour took us up into a high valley with a waterfall

141.jpg

142.jpg

We passed through the Olympic village of Sestriere

143.jpg

setting up camp on at the head of the next and final track

144.jpg

The track took us through the Parco Naturale del Gran Bosco di Salbertrand, with amazing views and was one of the best of the whole trip

145.jpg

146.jpg

147.jpg

148.jpg

149.jpg

150.jpg

Memorial to two resistance fighters

151.jpg

152.jpg

153.jpg

154.jpg

155.jpg

Testa del Assietta

156.jpg

157.jpg

158.jpg

159.jpg

160.jpg

The descent to the town of Susa had more than 30 switch backs through forest

161.jpg

From Susa we continued north re-entering France through the 8 mile long Frejus Tunnel in Bardonecchia and heading towards Alsace for some wine. We took a short cut through Switzerland, avoid the circular route through France

I am sure I've seen this car in the past, or was it in the future .....

162.jpg

In Alsace we visted Colmar

163.jpg

164.jpg

165.jpg

166.jpg

and Turckheim

167.jpg

168.jpg

169.jpg

Alsace is very picturesque and has good wines.

We left Turckheim for Calais at 7.00am the next morning, catching the 6pm ferry to Dover and finally arriving home at 2.00 am - a very long day!

We thoroughly enjoyed the trip to the Alps. The area we visited is like (it probably is :icon-biggrin: ) a big national park. The scenery is beautiful and the tracks, whilst not particularly technical, were fun and took us to great places. Definitely worth a trip. In Arnie's word's 'I'll be back' - definitely.

Back