Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternator problem?

tim falce

My 95 has been getting a bit sluggish turning over when cold. I checked the voltage at the battery a while back and it was 13-14.5 volts from tickover to revving it. I put a new battery on last month as the old one was not holding a charge for long. It's got more and more sluggish turning it over when cold but fine when It is warm. I checked the voltage today and it was 11.7 and wouldn't rise when revving it. Can I assume the alternator is knackered or could it be something else? The dash warning light goes out when it starts as normal. It must have been charging when I used it last on Thursday evening with all the lights on and it started no problem on Friday.

I would clean the battery terminals and the large and exposed ground wire on the starter itself , could be that the starter is struggling for power and so your battery is getting hit harder for longer than it should drawing more power than the alternator can replace during your daily drive .

All terminals are clean, there isn't any change in output from the alternator when I rev the engine, it's just sitting around 11.7 volts or dropping. it always used to be 13 to 14.5 volts when running. I've done a continuity test from the alternator to the battery and that's fine.

Get the voltage regulator checked and/or replaced. Something not right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll get a new alternator tomorrow, I can't be arsed with repairs as knowing my luck something else will break on it next week.

Back