Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anchor arms & Torque arms on Torsion bars

nathanrobo

I've looked through various threads and the FSM and I think I have a problem... in taking my suspension arms off, the torsion bars were separated from the torque arms (the housings with splines that attached to the lower suspension arms). I've made the beginner's mistake of cleaning off the tipexed matchmarks. So now I have no idea of the relationship between the Anchor arms and the torque arms and I'm not too sure how much tolerance there is for adjustment.

I'm guessing that when the Torque arms are bolted in to the lower suspension arm and the Anchor arms (rear) are in their housings without any tension from the bolts, with the wheels off the ground that the rest can be adjusted with the Anchor arms bolts. But I'm not sure that when the car comes down off axles stands that there will be too much twist on the torsion bars.

Anyone with experience out there? The suspension is stock AHC.

Thanks

I will TRY to answer you
I have been there (took over a "failed" project) & managed to re-set the arms.

I had a fair Idea of how far in the threads on the adjustment screw where as I had seen the truck before it was taken to bits.

I would in your case basically set out from 0. Completely back off the main adjuster half way back on the frame.
Reset & bolt in the anchore plate at the lower suspention arm. Turn the main adjuster lets say 10 turns in for starters.
You can mark the bars so that you see how much twist you get.
Set the car on level ground & runthe AHC-> Testdrive

Fopr reference; I tried, when I was "playing around" gave the main adjustment screw +16 turns with shot original shocks. There was som etension in oit. Did not drive with it but it did hold it up OK.....

Personally I have ripped ut the AHC............but thats me...:innocent:

I will TRY to answer you
I have been there (took over a "failed" project) & managed to re-set the arms.

I had a fair Idea of how far in the threads on the adjustment screw where as I had seen the truck before it was taken to bits.

I would in your case basically set out from 0. Completely back off the main adjuster half way back on the frame.
Reset & bolt in the anchore plate at the lower suspention arm. Turn the main adjuster lets say 10 turns in for starters.
You can mark the bars so that you see how much twist you get.
Set the car on level ground & runthe AHC-> Testdrive

Fopr reference; I tried, when I was "playing around" gave the main adjustment screw +16 turns with shot original shocks. There was som etension in oit. Did not drive with it but it did hold it up OK.....

Personally I have ripped ut the AHC............but thats me...:innocent:

Hey, thanks for that... I had been thinking along similar lines but I like the idea of marking the bars to see how much twist there is. I was thinking that the initial set up would be with just a few turns on the anchor bolts would be when the wheels are off the floor? If not it's kinda tricky to get under when the suspension is fully down.

btw I like the AHC, I've had the system on two 100's over the last nearly 14 years without any issues - I just change the AHC fluid from time to time and go the spheres regassed before they went flat. But then my car has never really been off road.

I will be dropping my LC100 (see avatar) front suspention completely the comming days & will try & post what I do as I go along.

I ripped out the AHC as mentioned.
Trying to catch up on expired service history on this system along with the want for a lift urged its removal.
Not even counting pennies on this...

Back