Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another what's it worth thread . . .

So you're really REALLY going to sell it, Ian?
Can I ask what's going to replace it or is that sacrilegious to ask before this one's gone?

I think I will, really depends on what I can get for it. I know I should not say it on here but I'm generally a bit bored with the whole 4x4 thing. It will not be replaced with anything.

Ian Rubie said:
I know I should not say it on here but I'm generally a bit bored with the whole 4x4 thing.
Quick call the Medics, this man needs urgent attention, :lol:

I have not been into laning for years, way too political for me.

I have some good pay and play sites locally but once you've done the impossible hill forwards, backwards and sideways and been through the middle of the "nothing makes it through there" lake a few times it gets dull.

I'm not into the competition scene either.

Ian

Sorry to hear it, Ian, but I understand your view. I guess having to work for a living means that doing major overland trips far off the beaten track is very difficult to pull off as an alternative to off-roading. Plus your truck might not be ideal for a 10,000 mile round trip :D

Cheers,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just to add my 2c worth here, I think that if you haven't seen this car in action then you can't really put a value on it. And that's not a dig an anyone folks. This has top be seen and sold for what it is, not what it looks like. Why IS Rubie Hill called Rubie Hill - buy this and you'll find out. But only if your nerve matches that of the current driver.

This is not an old battered 80 with some bits. It's waay more than that. It's the Pride of Lincomb.

As to value Ian, obviously you can't price nostalgia, but you can price the work and parts. If you wanted to recreate this you'd need to start with a base vehicle at what, £4k? Then add all the bits. Well you'd be into £6k in seconds.

If someone wanted to make a replica of this, they would probably have unbent panels wouldn't they? How long would they last doing what it was built to do. Look what happened to Muxley! You might as well start with a battered one and save the grief. I have never seen anything like this off road and it's what got me wanting an 80 so bad. Seeing it go up the steps like they were a car park ramp kept me awake at nights.

Hey, you could rent it out!

Chris

I get what your saying chris but like you say you can't put a price on nostalgia.
So unless it goes to some one who knows what it's about .

It in reality it's not worth much
It is not worth a anywhere near what it would cost to buy and build it
I'd say it's not even worth a third

People buy with their eyes and i mean no offence but it looks like sh1t

Oh whats that i can hear ?
Sounds like im about to get grief :dance: :dance:

geordie_boy1978 said:
but it looks like sh1t

A bit on the harsh side. It is an off road toy that has been used off road.

No offence but with a sig like yours I guess we want very different things from our current 4x4s. :lol:

Harsh? Well it is pretty beaten up. But that's just added character :lol: But unless you know it, you don't know what you are buying. You would not be buying with your eyes in that sense. I fully understand that you have your finger on the pulse of prices, but you cannot judge this truck by those standards. It's not a simple as a battered truck with some big tyres on.

Ian didn't really list all the parts and their values. For example it has a pair of 4.56 diffs in it built by the good Diff Doctor. And I know the price of those trust me. Broken and sold for parts it might be worth more sure. But those parts would probably go onto a new body to recreate Ian's without the dents. Which would be a bit of a pointless and costly exercise.

It's a bit of a one off is this and in my view worth a decent price, not a scrap price. But in the real world something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay. And as it's a one off, that makes predicting this one harder. In my view.

So no incoming grief from me, that's for sure. But we have had conversations on here before, I am sure about doing down something that someone is selling. So let's not fall out over this one. Ian was very clear that there isn't an untouched panel on there.

Chris

Chris said:
Harsh? Well it is pretty beaten up. But that's just added character :lol:
It just goes to show we all have different views of sh1t. To me it's a lowered 4x4 on 22" chrome spinners!

A bit of off road damage is just fine on an off road toy in my opinion.

Just to add my bit. I agree with chris regarding the sale of something like this. If you have seen it in action you know what it can do.

I had another forum member who i was talking to with a similar type of truck,Not as well used Though asking what his would be worth. I sell alot a trucks and the prices vary. Ive got 5k for a mint 12v and 3k for a not so pretty 12v. The 24v obviously brings more money so that may slightly go against the sale of this to certain buyers.

At the end of the day something like this is very hard to put a price on. If you wanted to buy and build something like this you would expect to have to pay out. I personally think ian its a case of you put your price on it and see what happens.

I wish you look with your sale and i hope you get what your wanting for it :thumbup:

Karl

Ian Rubie said:
Chris said:
Harsh? Well it is pretty beaten up. But that's just added character :lol:
It just goes to show we all have different views of sh1t. To me it's a lowered 4x4 on 22" chrome spinners!

A bit of off road damage is just fine on an off road toy in my opinion.

Toatally agree!!!!!

As long as ive known this truck it is and has been for a while a good toy that can do its job very well. People who want a mint truck obviously arnt going to buy or even consider it

Karl

I would buy this truck in a heartbeat, I've seen it at Lincomb and drooled over it. I know I can't afford it (don't think Ian does installments plans hehe).

It's been said already, if you need an 80 for pure offroading and non shiny laning then you would be buying a truck on its mechanic merit and this one has pedigree.

Another 12 month ticket on it would make it more attractive of course.

To be honest I would of preferred to buy a battered 80 which has been well looked after from a respected forum member than a straight one that has never been off road from a stranger with an "good" history. I really don't care what my 80 looks like as its an offroad toy/overland vehicle but if you have a straight car your heart sinks every time you get another dent. In third world countries I would have preferred to drive round in something like "Ian's green car" and green-lanning/p&p would be more fun as you would not care if you added another dent to it as owners of battle scared 80s would agree. Well looked after toys with battered bodies don't come along often, otherwise I would of bought one and turned it down to 7 from 11. If I recall correctly the last time something like this could have been for sale is when Jon bought his 100 and decided to break his 80 rather than to sell it due to it looking like a prop from Mad Max. If I had known him back then I would of tried to convince him to sell it to me for what he wanted for it in bits and put some tamer tyres on it and drive that to Mongolia instead. Also would not care if it got keyed by yet another angry greenpe@ce brainwashed student.

Putting it back to standard is not an option on this 80 as its missing the original cross member so you would have to break the whole truck. OK its got the wrong engine but just price it as a 12v not a 24v. Obviously if you put it on ebay you will struggle to get 6k for it but if advertised on the forum at 6k you never know. If you do advertise it I would recommend putting up some videos and pics as proof of how capable this truck is. Maybe a story or 2 about the undrivable lake etc.

Which is what i was trying to say

unless you know the vehicles history it's going to be a tough one to price and equally tough to sell
For good money to come from the sale it'd have to go to a forum member

I wasn't trying to be nasty saying it looks like sh1t
Because if anyone is honest it's no oil painting
Even Ian himself has said there is not a straight panel on it

I do appreciate it's had the world spent on it and i'd love a truck that is this capable
But in the real world not many people have £6000 to spend on a toy .
Which is why i said between 3and4k

Once again i was not being nasty or horrible just realistic .

and with impeccable timing, I come along and say Hey Rob, I threw a rear cross member out last week! Can you believe. I removed it with sympathy and it would have welded straight back in!

Never mind, I don't think that this truck is going back to standard.

Chris

Chris said:
and with impeccable timing, I come along and say Hey Rob, I threw a rear cross member out last week! Can you believe. I removed it with sympathy and it would have welded straight back in!

Jon's Plasma cutter all over again :shifty:

I thought it was looking pretty straight seeing those pictures, I was expecting it to be much more battered by now :) I wouldn't think of this 80 as only being suitable as an off road toy, it would make a good overlander as well and if I remember right it has been around a bit including Libya Ian? I would give the interior a good clean, get a carpet cleaner on it as well, stick some cheap ish seat covers on and it's just about ready to go wandering wherever someone wants but with the interior as dirty as it is now it just says bog snokeling toy only imo ;)

Back