Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Antenna Mast Swap, Advice.

t1pper

Country Flag
uk
My LC antenna mast has been snaped off since I purchased the car, I still hear the motor running as I turn the ignition on and off however the remaining stump of the mast remains stationary.

I have not yet priced a complete Toyota assembly but I fear it will be "prohibitively expensive", I have seen that the mast itself is sold seperatly from the rest of the antenna assembly.

Is it easy to swap & any advice before attempting it.

Somebody on ebay is selling the replacement item with I think the correct part number he has sold about 85 anyone on hear fitted one?

IIRC, a new Mr.T mast was about 25 quid and easy to fit in theory. The top of the mast is a screw thread which attaches to the nylon "coil" line that pushes the mast up and pulls it down.

My problem was removing the dome nut that holds the outer tube to the wing. When I applied the slightest pressure on a spanner to undo it, the whole body of the unit crumbled to dust :lol:.

Needless to say, at present I don't have an aerial fitted to the truck at all, when I had the truck re-sprayed, I had the wing hole filled.

Now I'm contemplating putting a remote mast on the winch bumper. I don't have a CB, so there's two mounting brackets to choose from. I don't use the radio much, but my 6 year old daughter is complaining about my USB music collection :icon-rolleyes: :lol:

Use an active FM antenna instead, about £8 from eBay. They stick to the inside of the windscreen, 1 earth cable, antenna connector to back of radio and a positive feed.

I've stuck one on the windscreen behind the mirror, run the cable under the headlining and down the A pillar back to the radio, never need worry about an external antenna again.

Trev, have you done the same to your 120? I think the aerial is very poor on the 120's

Try following the book...
ant up.jpg
ant down.jpg
Teeth facing rear or forward: If the antenna is on the right side of the vehicle, the teeth face forward - contrary to the manual.

Last edited:
Trev, have you done the same to your 120? I think the aerial is very poor on the 120's

Not on the 120 (seems ok for me) but Fiery has one that Steve put in and I did one in a mates truck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Yep, all good!

I got blocked at 1 (a) when the threaded body of the antenna disintegrated. I fitted the new mast ok, but with no nut when I raised it, I had to stop it short of full extension, because it used to lift clean out of the antenna body :lol:

Thanks Trev, maybe I'll go for one of those active FM thingies. In the old days internal aerials used to be crap, but technology has changed a good bit since then.

There's FM now, for a start... :whistle::lol: .... and no steam :lol:

Thanks for the replies, I will check to see if my old assembly will dismantle before purchasing a hew mast.

I will report when I have had a chance to get a look at the weekend.

Back