Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

antifreeze

j555fjr

im looking at dropping the water out at the weekend, it looks abit moody and wanted to know its right before the frosts start. does anyone know how much antifreeze i will need to buy? :think:

how much tho? problem is i cant do it at home so i may have to go somewhere and take my own liquid with me....

Toyota red is the one you need, but some opt for the cheapest stuff they can get their hands on which should be fine if you stay in mild blighty.

The most important feature of the coolant is not antifreeze. The coolant has to prevent oxydation, corrosion, and it has to prevent the water from leaving deposits on the warm parts.
If you use plain water, or a bad coolant, there is a high risk that minerals in the water will deposit on the hottest part in you engine, giving that area an insulating cover of chalk, and bring you a bit closer to a break-down.
Use a good quality coolant, designed for the composition of the materials (alloys & polymers) in your engine. And use it all year. Toyota red is a safe bet.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
j555fjr said:
how much tho?
FSM says 11L

Can you tell if the coolant was originally Blue, green or red? Red is the highest performance stuff to use (red apparently contains additives/lubricants - but from a cooling perspective they're the same.)

You can't mix colours, so if you intend to change over you'll need to do some extra flushes to be safe.

Justin_Elliott said:
j555fjr said:
how much tho?
FSM says 11L

Can you tell if the coolant was originally Blue, green or red? Red is the highest performance stuff to use (red apparently contains additives/lubricants - but from a cooling perspective they're the same.)

You can't mix colours, so if you intend to change over you'll need to do some extra flushes to be safe.

I just did this last week and I concur you need 11 litres if you also drain the block completely.

Mine came out pretty manky looking and I think at some point someone had mixed different colours. I think it might have been when I took it to a garage to have a service when I was on one of my long jaunts round Britain and realised it was getting to its service interval. Not a wise move that time then :?

I flushed the block out several times and refilled with blue antifreeze as i couldn't wait for roughtrax to deliver and my local toyota dealer only had bulk barrels for their workshop so I opted for the cheap option until they get their next delivery. Not an ideal situation but it will have to do for now! :(

Back