Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Radiator Replacement - Other jobs?

Did you just get a load from Toyota or amayama? I’m planning to do the same.
Yep exactly that. I always use Amayama and simply order all new hardware for any job I’m doing for the first time. Occasionally a few extra where spares are good to have like for wheel flanges etc

Expensive way to play that when you can buy a thread pitch gauge for a fiver and somewhere like spalding fasteners will sell you 10 next day delivery for the price of 1 from Japan

Expensive way to play that when you can buy a thread pitch gauge for a fiver and somewhere like spalding fasteners will sell you 10 next day delivery for the price of 1 from Japan
For me it’s probably a combo of being a snob for OE bits and peace of mind that makes me go for amayama or a Toyota branch, the local Toyota branch for me have been sound. But you do pay out your hoop which is getting boring so I’ll probably give up on that at some point haha

I used a pry bar to hold and then had to resort to a hammer and cold chisel to shift two of the nuts that didn't want to move (and that was after a lot of penetrating oil beforehand)

I’m hoping to get some time this weekend to give it another crack before I’m away for a bit. If I don’t get them off now it’s going to sit for a while so last chance saloon or they are getting the chop.

Some images of how it’s going….

6758EF41-76F0-4097-A22C-7A43DF2898DB.jpeg
CFBFE5FF-7102-452E-B2DA-420A5DF960F7.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4884.jpeg
    IMG_4884.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 8
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not sure why anyone would want to order OEM nuts and bolts when there are numerous companies in the UK that make and stock them. You might as well replace them with stainless while you're at it. A bespoke vehicle component is one thing but general nuts and bolts?

Not sure why anyone would want to order OEM nuts and bolts when there are numerous companies in the UK that make and stock them. You might as well replace them with stainless while you're at it. A bespoke vehicle component is one thing but general nuts and bolts?
I just find it easier and it’s peace of mind. To me, and I’m not mechanic (as can be clearly seen in this thread ) but if I’m getting the OEM bolt or nut I know it’s the same spec as the one Toyota put in there. In some instances I think it’s safe to assume the bolt is intentionally the weakest or strongest piece in the system, if I’m whacking something else in there and messing with that dynamic, I’d just rather not. I get rid of those nagging thoughts when I buy original. I could just match up strengths, pitch etc. or I can spend an hour on amayama ordering exactly what I need.

Saying all of that, I do see what you and others are saying though and I have done it in the past haha I also think it’s quite possible that there is a Toyota drivers seat bolt in my rear shock top mount…

Toyota bolts have that lovely built in washer.
Copperslip every bolt that goes back in.

Back