Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

anybody know this 80

xriss

Country Flag
great_britain
hi all just wondering if anybody knows this 80 as the quest to find one continues..perhaps belonged to a former forum member perhaps or perhaps just known ...cheers all
700.jpg

Yes I do,
We did a couple of trips together (Mauritania & Egypt) before he had the pop top fitted & back converted (think the top was done by Toms in Germany), then he went on to take it across Russia and then a trip that I believe took him the best part of 2 years down through the Americas.
It was on a personal reg plate, and he was very fastidious with his maintenance etc I did send him out a timing belt tensioner to somewhere in south america when he couldnt locate one there a few years ago.
Have got plenty of pics of it in the desert somewhere!
Its a 24valve manual, longrange fuel tank, & intercooled (i think) plus loads of other (well done) mods.

I believe he sold it to Nene a year or so ago

Andy

I only recognise it as the one Nene Overland have been trying to sell...... Its been on and off ebay for a while

Probably overpriced now?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would think 5 times before handing over that much of cash to Nene. And then likely walk away.

If you do get something from them make sure it's all in the shape you expect before paying anything. And never ever assume they are going to be either competent or willing to support you in anyway. Once you walk out of the door, so do any assurances or promises.

Also be careful about the pictures, they are sometimes years old. And with the equipment sitting unmaintained for long periods, never assume it's all intact even.

Have you had a personal experience with them GOK ?..... I remember someone on here a few years back warning folk away from Nene.... :confusion-shrug:

I had my time wasted by them a few years back - drove a couple of hours out of my way to see a vehicle, turned out the salesman who had arranged to meet me decided to have a "long lunch" and turned up mid afternoon. The vehicle was buried at the back of the lot, he didn't seem to know much about it and didn't seem arsed with trying to get it out for a proper look, let alone a test drive. We left shortly after...

The rear is definitely not tjm, seem to remember it was arb, I know it was expensive & had gas strut thingys that didn’t like sand & dust.
I havnt actually seen the truck since before he did his 20k+ mile trip across Russia, & who knows how many 000’s of miles on his N - S America trip.

yeh i asked nene for some chassis pics but as yet havent received any also asked the mileage when on the phone & they could tell me off hand what it was...will wait n see

@Higgy yeah. They had a 80gs which had done a trip advertised. A friend and I travelled a fair bit to get to them only to find the truck at the far end of a grassy patch. The pictures they had shared were maybe 2 years old. It was grim. What set the alarm bells off was they said it's £500 to fix it all up and they would take £600 off the price. My estimate at the time was £2k+ labour to fix it properly ( It didn't start as an example!) Tyres were shot. The drawers in the pictures were missing. The water heater had no hoses to anything Etc it was not what had been advertised. Green stuff was all over the roof tent and it wasent dollars.

Check out their reviews from some of the Landy owners and the story lines up. They have been through a few changes in ownership but little seems to have changed other than them moving address.

It might be a good truck - BUT I have heard a couple of stories of no after sales service from the seller. SO I would suggets making sure they come to the table before you make a journey to see it and ask for the option for an indepenent garage to assess it.

The MOT checker shows that it has done 230k miles. So worth having a look at that and it's history of missing MOTs (presume its been out the country)

needles to say i didn't get a response from the seller..i only asked for a couple of pictures of the underside..ahh well

Back