Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone adding

So technically speaking - but keeping it simple, what IS 2 stroke oil?

Chris

I'm not a certified oil guy, but here's a guestimate.

2- stroke probably is a monograde low viscosity oil.
Something like SAE 5 or SAE 0.

When starting a Swedish candle I use it in stead of lamp oil or diesel.
It burns slower.
Also use it for the obvious reasons, 2-stroke engines :dance:

The trunk of this thread has many branches now.

1. I have always used multigrade oil mixed with petrol for my 2 stroke flymow [40 years old and still like new].Also in all my various strimmers, leaf blowers and hedge cutter. Never had an engine problem. When my uncle died he left me multigrade oil cans and I still have some left so have been using it for 40 years in 2 strokes.

2. I also use the multigrade in my 10 year old ride on 4 stroke lawnmover with no ill effects but not recommended.

3. Do they still make 2 stroke engines for road use ?

4. Pity about all these filters. I was going to put a wire brush in the tank to clean the injectors.

Frank

As many may know 2 stroke engines do not have positive lubrication of the piston, crank and big/little end bearings. They have to survive on an oil 'mist' delivered by the fuel/oil mixture induction through the crankcase. This means good 2 stroke oil, if anything, needs inherently superior lubrication qualities to the 4 stroke stuff, plus it also has to mix easily and fully with the fuel and leave minimal ash deposits behind when burnt. A different set of requirements to 4 stroke. 2 stroke oil in a 4 stroke will obviuosly offer very good lubrication initially but it is not formulated for long sump life and would degrade quickly IMO. The viscosity of 2 stroke is also formulated for cold delivery so what is the viscisity going to be when hot? As for using 4 stroke oil in a 2 stroke, again it will work to a degree but a lawnmower or hedgtrimmer is one thing and would you really want to risk it in a relatively high performance (and expensive) motorcycle engine??

2 stroke engines are still being made for numerous applications but are being phased out for road use, due mainly to ever tightening emmision laws. 2 stroke outboards are now illegal in many countries. Interestingly, at the cutting edge of performance 2 stroke technology in the world 500cc GP's (now MotoGP 4 strokes) the big 4 Japanese manufacturers reckoned the 2 stroke was nearing the end of it's development with the 500's kicking out over 400 bhp/litre so that coupled with the drive for cleaner emmisions was the nail in their coffin.

Next time your 2-stroke chainsaw or hedgetrimmer kicks the bucket. Then open it up.
Most of the bearings are open so the mist can get in there and do its work.

4-strokes with pressure lubrication use other bearings and actually run on an oil film between the 2 surfaces needing lube.

2-stroke engines are real powerhouses compared to a 4-stroke. But environmentally the classic 2-stroke has its limitations. Double fuel and air ports, valves have given it a new future so we are still selling 2-strokes.

Lawnmower 4-strokes are a mix of mist and sump lubrication, some even have pressure lubrication. You really can't compare them to our diesel burning vehicle engines.

I'm not dumping a bottle of 2-stroke oil in my tank just yet.
Really would like to hear Toyota say it needs it :shifty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well i have used my work van ( 2.5 td transit ) as a guinee pig, scuse spelling, i put 100ml in to the half tank of diesel it already had, iv'e only done about 25 miles but it is deffo quieter.

Works well, have used it for a few years now. Either that or bio diesel.

Back