Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone bought goods from overseas and paid duty

moggy1968

Just bought a part from Australia, the part cost £19.48, with £31.28 postage. Parcelforce have charged me £8.23 VAT and a clearance fee of £11.25, that comes, rather coincidentally , to £19.48.

Seems like a piss take to me, anyone been through this and know what the deal is?

Just bought a part from Australia, the part cost £19.48, with £31.28 postage. Parcelforce have charged me £8.23 VAT and a clearance fee of £11.25, that comes, rather coincidentally , to £19.48.

Seems like a piss take to me, anyone been through this and know what the deal is?

You should pay VAT on the part and postage, which is £10.15. Collection fees are about a tenner give or take a few quid. So I reckon you're probably slightly up on the deal.

Over about £120 and you start paying 4.5% import duty on car parts too.

Does the collection fee stay the same regardless of value, so more expensive parts it has less impact? Presumably then you shouldn't pay VAT (or equavalent) in the country of origin?

Does the collection fee stay the same regardless of value, so more expensive parts it has less impact? Presumably then you shouldn't pay VAT (or equavalent) in the country of origin?

Collection fees are standard for the courier irrespective of amount. The vendor should not charge VAT if exporting outside their VAT area, although VAT is an EU tax. The rules outside the EU might be different for sales tax in some countries, but you always have to pay it on import.

Slightly more complicated in the EU where the VAT needs to be collected somewhere. I usually have to give my UK VAT number and the vendor can zero rate the supply. I then pay the VAT in the UK on import, and then claim it back, assuming it's for the business. If an EU vendor charges VAT in their country there is no VAT to pay in the UK.

No VAT on imported goods under £18. Or on gifts under £40 between private individuals.

If I buy parts on-line from Amayama I get charged Import Duty and the Parcelforce Fee. sometimes the parcel slips through the net but not often.

Its a 'nice little earner' for Parcelforce,

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just hope your parcel doesn’t get delivered by TNT. £24 handling fee!!

I think it’s under £160 you don’t pay import duty but you do pay VAT. it’s all available if you google import duty.

A few years ago I got a full suspension lift kit for our XJ Jeep sent over from the states. The manufacturers marked it up as a "gift" (it was a bloody great, heavy box!) and it was delivered without any questions, the courier guys just dropped it off!

A few years ago I got a full suspension lift kit for our XJ Jeep sent over from the states. The manufacturers marked it up as a "gift" (it was a bloody great, heavy box!) and it was delivered without any questions, the courier guys just dropped it off!

Does the commercial value marked on the invoice included in the package have a role to play here as well (or instead of the gift mark ) ?

I believe items marked as samples may have the same effect of not attracting the customs fee's?

No idea to be honest - the lads in the US I dealt with said "don't worry about it" so I took them at their word ;-)

Back