Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone else blocked out of the site?

Well, I am back - but for how long . . .

I e-mailed my Son-in-Law for advice on how to delete cookies (thanks for acting as go-between, Aerolastic (Kai) ). I have hopefully deleted all the browsing history

Now to catch-up :whistle:.

Bob.

I had the same problem since before the start of this thread. Just now I deleted the few cookies related to this site, and voila, everything works again.
A bit strange, as I tried another browser as well, when I had problems connecting (permission denied), and the same problem there. Now, after deleting cookies in this browser (Opera), it also works in the other browser (Vivaldi), without deleting cookies.

Nothing to do with cookies, DNS or memory problems. Crispin did an update on the machine hosting the website and some settings went sideways.

Or maybe a CDN issue where some traffic is going through without the right context (?) I just hit the welcome screen in the middle then back to the website (?)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was 'Forbidden' from using this site again this morning :angry-screaming:.

Had to clear Browsing History to get back in.

Is this going to be an on-going requirement ???

Bob.

Nah, as I mentioned earlier, it will get sorted. I have logged in two or three times today (can't exactly remember) but site is working perfect for me. For the moment why not set your browser to clear history on exit? Leave alone for a few days, and then you would not be so angry. :)

regards

Dave

I've had forbidden for last 3/4 days, despite clearing and optimising everything, an ongoing problem. This site is so sketchy and seems to have a mind of its own as to when to perform.
I was logged in and about to reply to something around 2 weeks ago when I got forbidden and locked out, a day later everything fine, then it starts again. For those not affected - hooray !!

Do.other sites that use the same software also have the same problems?. Or are we just lucky?

My son in law is a computer programmer manager and built me a new computer some years ago. He advised not to add any security in addition to the standard microsoft one. It could be that peoples security systems are causing problems? I raised my concerns over not having additional security but he said to receive a virus it would be like falling for a telephone call scam. BUT.

1. Never click on an unknown email link.
2. Never click on an unknown download.
3. Never click on a pop up.

I had trouble logging into this site years ago, and despite the combined efforts of Crispin and myself it never ran smoothly for me here in Spain. When the platform was changed to that similar to 'MUD' the problems simply went away. This recent problem seems to have affected different people in different ways which can make it harder to diagnose, for me I could not log in if I cleared the 'keep me logged in' tick box, annoying only in that it meant having to remember to log out. Nothing insurmountable in my opinion, but one this is for sure it is pointless worrying about it, leave it a couple of days and try again.

Regards

Dave

Few different bugs / issues I think, some more serious / annoying than others. Looks to me like the relatively minor 'stay logged in' one has been sorted now....

Dave, you told Bob that, but how many few days do you leave it when the problem is ongoing for some, and keeps recurring ? You have obviously by your own statement, have had Crispin working one to one with you to solve YOUR problem, which does not neccessarily solve others.
I don't know where you got the idea Bob was angry - he simply made a statement based on his own findings, and asked a question which was obviously aimed at admin, which you chose to answer.
Can I ask, do you have intimate knowledge of the system the forum uses and how it works, and what the actual problems are with it ? If so, please fix it.

In your haste to reply you missed that it was a problem years ago and we never did get it sorted out, it was also during the time when advertising had become intensively aimed at your location and Spanish pop ups often caused problems, also at the time it was an entirely different platform and it had nothing to do with the present one in use.

Re 'I don't know where you got the idea Bob was angry' ? The angry 'emoticon' Bob used might possibly be a clue?

Bob also pointed out he had to clear his browser history to be able to log in, (but he could log in) did I not point out he could set his browser history to clear when he logged out so he did not have to do it when he returned to the forum? In my humble opinion I thought that was at least a helpful tip was it not?

Re aimed at 'Admin' you said yourself he simply made a statement, I agree but aimed at admin no, it was a general question on the 'lounge' section of the site, I am sure Bob is quite capable of contacting forum admin directly if he needed to, I have done so in the past and received a favorable response but why? I am no one special but it got things sorted.

I do not have intimate knowledge of the system, but did point out it is a similar platform to being used by forums of a similar nature so it will undoubtedly get fixed, given my present circumstances I can barely remember what I had for breakfast yesterday let alone read lines of code so sorry I can't help you there.

Further, with respect to Crispin and the forum team and of course to all who use it, at the end of the day it is a forum, yes it is undoubtedly a helpful forum to many, and I enjoy helping people with a solution if possible but, at the end of the day it is a forum, unable to log on smoothly if not at all is not a life and death scenario, if your life's only need is to be able to log on to a forum then.......................

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back