Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone stay near Sheffield?

Graham Stirling

I was brought up in Sheffield and lived there until i was about 19 when i left for Uni. My first motor was a old landy which spent a lot of time laning around Sheffield and in the Peak district.

I'm curious to know if there are any lanes still open and worth driving.

Cheers, G

Graham

I come from up that way, I know Chinley Steps is still open as are the few in the Hope Valley.
My daughters ex uses a Landy up there.
I can't remember what Chris is on here,,,,,something like bu**ered and blue,,,,,he lives in Chesterfield so may be able to give you a few pointers.

Pretty sure Stanage Edge is still open but could be wrong. Think it is sometimes subject to a TRO. Used to go climbing up there a lot and at Froggat edge. Great places.

Edit.

Last thing I can find is that Stanage is subject to a voluntary TRO which restricts driving it to driving down hill. It's by all accounts a pretty good one - quite rocky but nothing you need a crazy off road toy to do it in. Need a spotter on some of the rockier bits I understand.

Just read that there are a few around the Hope valley in the Stanage / Ringinglow / Hathersage area. Used to be (possibly is still) a good campsite at North Lees Farm in Hathersage or a couple of nice hotels to stay there. Used to camp up at North Lees after driving there via the Fox Inn to pick up a few bottles of Barley Wine to down once the tent was up - made the hard ground a bit more comfy.

Cheers lads. We used to get the bus to the 3 merry Lads and then walk over Stannage to hathersage for a few pints and stay at Noth Lees. I'd forgotten about that camp site, cheers for the reminder.

I'll have a further look into lanes and see if theres enough to make a weekend of it. Anyone fancy it?

No good asking me, I don't really go laning. Not my thing essentially. I prefer 100 yards of impassible mud to go and get stuck in for a day. I am sure that there must be some good lanes, been around Buxton today and could see tracks all over the place. Don't mind making up a crew as long as there is someone leading who absolutely knows there stuff like Jon, Ray, Paul etc. But don't want to fall into the class if irresponsible idiot.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
True enough, laning is for lazy hikers but it's also a good excuse for a reletively non damaging weekend away and a few bevvies.

Aye, no argument there. But I'm not saying which bit I agree with. :lol:

Chris

It's been a while since I've been up that way but AFAIK most are still open. I don't think I've ever met a more miserable bunch of people on the lanes than that area though and they make me chuckle because nearly all of them have probably driven from miles away to abandon their car on the grass verge and clog up the countryside.

Oh you are so right. But that's what makes us Yorkshire-men. If you meet someone and they don't tell you that they are from Yorkshire within the first ten minutes, then clearly they have spent their entire lives so far wishing that they were!

Chris (from up't North)

I was thinking more of the tourists that clog the place up being a miserable bunch although I'm sure some of the locals are as well :lol:

WHAT? Trespassers in God's own county. Thanks Jon, I will look into this immediately. There must be a gap in the border fence somewhere.

Chris

Back