Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Are car covers worth it?

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
Just gauging the views of those unlucky enough not to have a garage. Does anybody use a car cover over their truck when in the drive or on the street? Are they more trouble than they are worth? Caravan and motorhome covers are available as are expensive bespoke ones but does anybody use them or even see the point?

If a cover is waterproof the condensation would be bad underneath too. If not waterproof then may not be worth it anyway. They certainly won't stop rust, for example?

One reason i'm also considering - besides not using the truck that frequently - is to stop prying eyes given how many offers to buy i get.

If people do like/use, what materials/suppliers have you gone for?

Simon

We have one for SWMBO's Yaris. Made from a sort of water proof but breathable fabric, a bit like a North Face outer jacket type stuff but thinner. Can't remembervthe make but it's good - fitted pockets for wing mirrors and 2 straps that go under the car to stop it blowing away, quick-release clips either side.

So far it's been excellent - a bit of a schlep to put on and take off but easier than using a spray demister or warm water!

Doesn't seem to gather condensation too much - but as its always wet here who'd know!

I've often considered getting one of these covers to save defrosting/snow clearing time in the mornings but have steered away from them assuming that they themselves would just end up stuck to the car with frost and you wouldn't be able to just flick them off without another thought. Is this not the case then?

The cover was slightly stuck to the roof this morning, probably because I'd washed the car and hadn't covered it before the dew came down. It's usually not too much of a schlep.

Great in summer as well - its a reflective silver fabric so keeps it cooler too.

Cheers

Gary Stockton said:
Great in summer as well - its a reflective silver fabric so keeps it cooler too.

Ja, because that one weekend it's nice to have a cool car interior. :mrgreen:

My neighbour has one for his Merc SL55 because it leaks in the rain. It looks like a hassle to fit and take off.

As for defrosting in the morning, a jug or slightly tepid water is quick and simple.

Back