Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Are indicator towing buzzers a legal requirement in the UK?

Leopard

Country Flag
uk
Hi All

I've got a tow bar on my Troop Carrier (HJ75) but no wiring for trailer electrics. I've got all the components I need to wire it up, just need to get it on.

Seeing as my truck is an import and also considering the age, I suspect it won't have an indicator buzzer. Does anyone know if by law I need to fit one when I wire up?

Thanks,

Nigel

I believe that you require some kind of indicator working device, but in days gone by it used to be a green lamp on one of those dodgy black plastic angle brackets inside the car.

I don't know of any law that requires a buzzer for indicators. If you wire directly into a vehicles loom for a 7pin towing socket, you will never have one. Bypass relays do have them included, have one on my Iveco truck, but not on the cruiser.

Thanks guys. My folks have a Nissan Terrano and had a Toyota Surf before that (both imports) and both vehicles had a buzzer when you towed. Not sure whether the hitches were fitted before being imported or whether they were fitted here, which is why I thought I'd check.

Think you must have a visual, or audible warning that the trailer indicators are, or aren't working.

Just found this on another forum about towing..

17 Vehicle wiring - direction indicator system
Q
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Do I need a warning device in the car indicating that the direction indicator system is functioning correctly when towing a caravan? [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT]A
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Yes. Lamps must flash at a rate of 60-120 flashes per minute, whilst a warning device in the car must inform the driver, by means of a visible or audible signal, that the system is functioning correctly. [/FONT]This is a legal requirement[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]. Some new vehicles have a different system, which does not show that the indicators are working correctly but only that they are not. The Club, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) and the Club’s legal helpline all share the belief that either is acceptable; however, only a court can give a final judgement on the interpretation. [/FONT]

Last edited:
Think you must have a visual, or audible warning that the trailer indicators are, or aren't working.

Isnt that just other road users flashing their lights and honking their horns when you turn without warning!? :p

I didnt think modern vehicles were fitted with indicators? No one seems to use them nowadays.

I didnt bother fitting a buzzer or dash light when I fitted the trailer socket to my cruiser. The light would have meant trailing a wire all the way from the rear crossmember to the dash and then finding a place to put it neatly and Ive heard so many horror stories about those flashmaster buzzer things shorting out and catching fire I didnt want to risk it! I check trailer lights after hooking up and before driving anywhere and as far as Im concerned if they work at that point there should be no reason for them to stop working.

Also if you are fitting a trailer socket imho it worth considering fitting the 13 pin euro trailer socket as its a far better design than the N+S UK sockets as the components are corrosion resistant, the cap seals the socket better and the plugs screw in, also you only need the one socket to power everything. I just carry the adapters in case I need to tow a N or N+S equipped trailer.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have fitted a 13 pin euro socket to my cruiser for towing my van. But also having a trailer with a seven pin uk socket I fitted both. On side is the 13 pin and on the other side of the tow ball is the seven pin. I just split the black wire that feeds the road lights into two. One set of wires goes to the black seven pin socket and the other set of wires goes to the 13 pin socket along with the grey wiring for the caravan. This means I can tow my trailer and anything else with legal road lighting and my van and not have to carry any adaptors.

Last edited:
I would have thought it a Euro law, but clearly not. I have recently taken delivery of a new Fiat Van, fitted with a Tow Bar, but there is no warning buzzer or light. My misses has to check before we leave in the morning that all lights are working.....

Steve

Back