Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Arm rest for your 80 series !!

Mine is in,will add some pics later. I used the bracket without the extensions fixed into where the factory cup holder thing used to be so it picks up on the steel bracket inside the centre console,then used pop rivets and very big repair washers for the front end. I was concerned about any weight on it breaking the bracket so was looking for something to brace both sides together and came up with one of those tool tray things that hang off of a wall? fixed this inside the bracket and then the original cup holder thingy on the back of that so I now have a very sturdy armrest,a rear seat cup holder(for the dog?) and a very handy,somewhat 'secret'cubby hole underneath the armrest.
Only thing in not keen on is that I used the the original screw hole for the bottom of the cup holder as a starting point,which has set the whole thing forward about an inch too far,ok if you drive with the seat wound forward a bit but I'm 6'4" and have the seat right back,right down and reclined a fair amount. Will wip it all off again later and just move it back that little bit. Overall pleased with the outcome though!

Yes that's what I thought Chris, just been on the phone to them complaining about it. Spoke to a young lass who didn't have a clue what I was on about, :icon-rolleyes: got told managers away until after Wednesday so I said right, expect another phone call.
If an item is sold to fit in your vehicle there should be a way of fixing it in without having to manufacture extra brackets, :angry-screaming:

Last edited:
I'll be interested to see some pics Dan so I can possibly copy. :thumbup:

Captain, I doff my cap in your general direction Sir. Idiot's guide please.

Save me some time scratching my chinny chin chin.

Chris

Yes that's what I thought Chris, just been on the phone to them complaining about it. Spoke to a young lass who didn't have a clue what I was on about, :icon-rolleyes: got told managers away until after Wednesday so I said right, expect another phone call.
If an item is sold to fit in your vehicle there should be a way of fixing it in without having to manufacture extra brackets, :angry-screaming:
Wasn't it sold as a universal arm rest rather than a car specific one Chas...

Just been out and moved mine back a bit,its much better now,I can't post pics from my phone
will do later on. I still can only get hold of the last 2or3 inches of the handbrake lever without moving my arm but its adequate,not such a problem for auto trucks I suppose.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wasn't it sold as a universal arm rest rather than a car specific one Chas...

Yes it was Gav, but the same problem would be there whatever vehicle you wanted to fit it in.

Right,pics as promised! My apologies for the state of the truck,:oops:I dont spend my Sunday's polishing/hoovering it etc. I'm a 'function over form' man although I think the armrest will be ok once its had a chance to get some oil/grease/coffee/doghair/whatever all over it so it matches the rest of the interior:think:
One pic should show the tooltray thing I used,Basically what Ive done is screw the bracket to the cubby box with the 4 philips head screws included(I did put some bigger washers on though) then eyed the bracket up onto the centre console,marked the holes and drilled right through into the steel bracket that did hold the cup holder then riveted it on with 2"(ish) repair washers to avoid pulling through the plastic. I then chopped around the blue tray thing to take the original cup holder thing on the back edge and a trim along the side to make it fit nicely inside the cubby boxes bracket. I then stuck it all together with some Omniseal(2k adhesive/sealing stuff we use for sticking panels to coaches) and a couple of choice rivets to hold it all together until the omni goes off,a splash with satin black aerosol and chucked it back in the truck. Hope this helps,or at least gives some ideas,like I said,Im not over fussed how it looks as long as its functional! It happily takes my 3YO boy standing on it and is sort of supported by the seat. Opinions please!?:think:

Pics in no particular order,these are before I moved it backwards about 40mm and down about 15mm

WP_20130511_001.jpgWP_20130511_002.jpgWP_20130511_003.jpgWP_20130511_004.jpgWP_20130511_005.jpgWP_20130511_006.jpgWP_20130511_007.jpgWP_20130511_012.jpgWP_20130511_009.jpgWP_20130511_013.jpgWP_20130511_014.jpgWP_20130511_016.jpg

Have to confess I am struggling to tell which shots are in the garage and which are inside the truck. But a good job and something for us to work from Matey. I like the repositioning of the cup holder. Very good.

Thank you

Great, that makes it clear what you've done, I like the idea of the tool tray thing, I think I'll do the same (necessity is the mother of invention) , it looks like you removed the drivers seat to get it all done?

Haha,thanks lads! Not so sure which is worse,the workshop or the truck, I certainly wouldnt want to lick the floor of either.
I removed the three bolts holding the centre down,loosened the two rear gearstick console screws,unplugged the seat heating switches and did it on the bench. After driving it home I think I was happier with the original height but definitely better further back. I'm not going to move it again though as my centre console will start looking like Swiss cheese!

Any more pics of the installation of this classic bit of kit guys?

Hans??
Chas??
Grantw?
Chris?

C'mom, c'mon roll up roll up!!!

Any more pics of the installation of this classic bit of kit guys?

Hans??
Chas??
Grantw?
Chris?

C'mom, c'mon roll up roll up!!!

Not fitted yet, no red 80 to be worked on.

Too busy Lazz. Not a major priority at the second. But once I get into it, I shall post. Oh yes.

Chris

Back