Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ATF overheating in the Alps - Help

It's quite a good sized cooler tbh. That pic didn't have the condenser fitted either.
I guess the oil burning variety don't have an extra cooler then? (Learn something new everyday)

As I said it does produce quite a bit of heat even under normal driving

Just charing my experience here: the extra original oil cooler is a must when going into the mountains with a heavy loaded 80 series. But even then, when doing very long climbs, even in selected 2nd gear, the automatic transmission will heat up. (On the mainland the extra original oil cooler was standard on diesels.)
The best is to drive in low gear and override the automatic center diff lock in low gear. You just have to pull one pin out of a plug and use your center diff lock switch.
It is well described in previous posts: as long as the transmission won't lock up, don't use high gear for long climbs :)
I did changed the mapping of the gearbox. Normally the mapping of the gear changes is different in low gear. Much more aggressive. I pulled some pins and now the mapping of high gear is also used in low gear. Much more comfy. A How-To can be found on IH8MUD.

.... I did changed the mapping of the gearbox. Normally the mapping of the gear changes is different in low gear. Much more aggressive. I pulled some pins and now the mapping of high gear is also used in low gear. Much more comfy. A How-To can be found on IH8MUD.
I think the original poster has a 92 80 series. These boxes are totally hydraulic and have no electrickery to go wrong or remap.

Mine too is a 92 80 and I had the same issues once while climbing hills in high temps in Morocco.

I fitted an additional oil cooler and added a bottle of this (link) which was recommended to me by a mate who builds automatic transmission for a living. I have not seen the ATF Temp light on since.

That Lubgaurd stuff looks a worthy addition Paul :thumbup:

For clarity: 1992 12v auto was OK in low box, diff lock wire has been pulled so is selectable from dash switch rather then coming on with low range.

I've removed the centre spotlight, and the 3" wide angle ally crossmember holding it on, removing about 70 sq inch of airflow restriction in total.

Personally I would try and remove anything in front of the grille, move that plate and other sots if they are still there.

I have a feeling if your truck is this one, it was already treated with LubeGuard a few years ago. So unless it has had an ATF change since I wouldn't add any more. Have you got any service history you can check through?

veh.jpg

That must be an old pic, it was like the one in my avatar pic with the 3x8" spots, you can make out the 3" wide alluminium under them, number plate is now stuck on the bonnet too. No service history, tbh I wouldn't trust it anyway after seeing the state of the pistons and random chunk of metal found in the engine during the rebuild. Thanks for the heads-up on the prior ATF treatment:thumbup:

just worked out taking the ally strip and middle spot off gave 135 sq inch more airflow!:o I'll leave it with 2 spots for winter, but think I'll invest in a decent lightbar and remove them before the next high altitude adventure next summer, mind you I'll be having the dash to bits soon to do the cluster lights, so might be tempted to remove them then, along with a ton of shit wiring.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back