Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff ratio quandry...

Pumpy, if you're down my way anytime soon you're welcome to have a go in mine. I'm running 4.88s with a true 36" tyre. I'd say they're spot on for a truck with some kit on it. The truck is perfectly happy to cruise at 80mph and I only occasionally lose speed/drop out of overdrive going up a hill - which needs to be quite steep.

Id have one of these if i could cope with metric and didnt already have gauges. http://www.4x4overlander.com/product/madman-ems2-engine-monitor/

Did you get any black smoke on these foot down uphill slogs?
Last year i had a very strange loss of power that got worse over a couple of days. Egts were lower even on uphill foot hard down slogs. I had no explanation for the chronic loss of power. In the end i turned up the main fuel screw. To get things back to how they were it took one full turn. This is a lot, you normally go in eighth increments. To this day i have no idea what had happend and its been fine since..

take the fuel pipe off the filter housing and blow hard down it for a quick check to see if its blocked.

Cheers Lorin, where's your way? I wouldn't mind someone in the know taking mine for a spin either! Trevor ain't convinced it's more than weight and ratios, but it's been a while since he drove it too.

I had a bit of smoke, not black except the odd puff when it changed down hard on the gas.

I looked at those monitors after David linked it, but couldn't seem to find individual sensors, except the expensive kits they do for that other make:whistle: not sure I could mount it in unobtrusive place either:think:

I'm at Billing LR show all weekend, hope to see somthing there I can get touchy feely with ;)

Did the power loss feel a bit like you had a weak clutch that was slipping CG ?

I ask because that's the best comparison i can think of to describe fuel starvation .

Finally got around to fitting the new R&P's and low ratio crawlers.

Just done the first road run in (20mins below 60MPH and allow to cool) - what a result - the torque is back in the right place, the drive is easier - it just feels better.

Low range is now epic! - 1st is that low its almost going backwards :laughing:

For the record, just driven (sat nav for speed):
4.2td, 12v, 5sp manual - 2400rpm = 60mph on 37" tyres with 4.56 ratio

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back