Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ATM cooler pipes

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
I was getting a ball from under the truck for #3 pooch this afternoon and noticed that my ATM oil cooler pipes were very rusty, nay corroded, looking like they are going to pop!

20140504_171246.jpg

Is it a common problem? are the bits available or is flex hose used ? would it be an idea to go to a seperate oil cooler and plumb it directly at this point? (killing 2 birds with one stone?)

all advice greatfully received

i replaced this pipe when I had the landcruiser, since it was rusty - it didnt look as bad as yours though :wtf:

it was pretty fiddly swap it, due threading a none flexible pipe along the side of the engine.
but doable with patience

Hi-Ya Steve :)

Swampy already had an after market cooler for the auto box fitted when I bought her. The flexible pipes that run up to the cooler are fitted on the end of that pipe from just behind the front bulkhead, so you would not be wasting your time or money if you replaced that pipe now and then did a remote cooler conversion later. Yon may find that the pipe is still in pretty good nick when off and just needs a good clean treat and paint :)

I was thinking about the braided flex hose - probably the easiest fix - I dont suppose anyone knows what the fittings are on the end per chance? BSP or something ? I am sure You can buy them already made up from fleabay or somewhere else

check with toyota, you might be suprised ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I may well do that, but I am considering killing 2 birds with 1 stone - fit a seperate ATF cooler and do away with the 95 auto's radiator problem of coolant leaking into the inbuilt ATF cooler & stuffing the gearbox!

those folk with a atf cooler, is it the only one or have you still got the radiator one as well? I am thinking it could overheat if not moving if it was a stand alone unit? At least with the rad, you would get some cooling from the fan (if it ever came on)??????

I have an external atf cooler, no issues with mine and the viscous fan still draws cold air through, but make sure the atf cooler is flush against the aircon rad otherwise if you have a gap, it can cause worse airflow.

Cheers for that tip! Does the air con get affected by the oil cooler heat or doesnt it matter?

Last edited:
Nope it makes no difference by having a large gap between them is what will cause poor cooling, this is because the air does not get drawn through all three of the radiators, but the ATF will then act like covering up part of the radiators behind it. By putting the three radiators back to back the air gets drawn through them all. If you google, it you will find the exact science behind it :D but that it why rads are always put next to each other.

The reason why Toyota uses the built in oil cooler in the radiator is down to cost.

Thanks for that. Roughly what size is your oil cooling Rad? (if you can see it that is!) There are loads available, usually spec'd in rows, THIS ONE on flea bay looks good? Just need to find out what the fittings are on the auto box now :)

Back