Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ATT JON WILDSMITH

PETE BELL

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
HI JON can you tell me how you did your 20mm wheel spacers cos i thought that they had to be at least 25-30mm thick i want to put spacers on mine but i think 25-30mm is to much cheers pete :thumbup:
i thought of getting longer wheel studs if poss, i have a friend who could make spacer plates 20mm thick for the longer studs to straight through and bolt the wheel on as normal :think:

They had to be used with wheels that have a deep recess between the studs. The OEM 18's do and so do some of the OEM 16's but most of the OEM 16's only have a very shallow recess that's not deep enough. I wasn't very keen on the idea of longer studs, seems like that would put a lot of stress on them?

Sorry Jon but im not understanding you, is it 20mm spacers with original studs being long enough to hold the wheel on safely.
and can you buy them or did you have them made
cheers for your help :thumbup: :thumbup:

I had 20mm spacers with studs in, just like normal 30mm spacers, just thinner, from here: http://www.wheelspacers.uk.com/index.ph ... er&typ=J10 but sit down before you look at the prices :)

Because they are less than 30mm thick the OEM studs stick out past the edge of the spacer and would interfere with the wheel mounting surface except that on the OEM 18" alloys I've seen / used there is a deep recess between the studs that means they fit without any issues. I also had 4 of the 16" OEM alloys with the same recess but all the other 16's I've seen only had a too shallow recess. Looks like Toyota used 2 different manufacturers for the same style wheel and which one made them dictates recess / no recess.

Hi Pete,

Is there much difference do you think in "loading" between the 20mm spacers and the 30mm spacers?

If you were continually loading your LC with a few hundred kg. of "stuff" then I can understand, but for average loadings, like a few passengers, I think the difference in wheel bearing loading, between the 20mm spacers, and the 30mm spacers wouldn't be that much to worry about.

Could be really wrong though, just my thinking out aloud.

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Graham said:
Hi Pete,

Is there much difference do you think in "loading" between the 20mm spacers and the 30mm spacers?

If you were continually loading your LC with a few hundred kg. of "stuff" then I can understand, but for average loadings, like a few passengers, I think the difference in wheel bearing loading, between the 20mm spacers, and the 30mm spacers wouldn't be that much to worry about.

Could be really wrong though, just my thinking out aloud.

Gra.

I think fitting wheel spacers is nothing to worry about. On my LC90 i had 30mm wheel spacers fitted for around two and half yrs, in which time i used the vehicle for all sorts including loading half a ton of pheasant food inside on many occasions, towing heavy trailers and off roading (AGGRESSIVLEY :evil: ) I never had any problems with wheel spacers, wheel bearings, Not even a slack nut or stud.....so i dont think 20 or 30mm spacers will cause problems

Hey Zeusv8,

Just goes to show what nosey buggers we all are! Some posts on here generate a feeding frenzy of "hits" but there's such a lot of good info and good chat, it's hard not to browse... :oops:

Keep it coming guys! ;)

All sorts of reasons to use them John, wider track for stability, hold the bodywork further off banks and trees when you're leaning into them, stop the bigger tyres rubbing on chassis rails on full lock at the front or full stuff at the rear, lots of reasons, but make sure they're good quality, bolts correctly torqued and re torque them after a short distance to be sure you don't lose a wheel :)

Another reason is to keep the steering geometry under control when increasing the tyre diameter.
Consider the attached illustration, and what will happen with the two red lines if the tyre size changes.
An alternative to spacers is to change to rims with a different back-spacing (offset).

Attachments

• steering_axis.gif
    steering_axis.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 290
Jon Wildsmith said:
All sorts of reasons to use them John, wider track for stability, hold the bodywork further off banks and trees when you're leaning into them, stop the bigger tyres rubbing on chassis rails on full lock at the front or full stuff at the rear, lots of reasons, but make sure they're good quality, bolts correctly torqued and re torque them after a short distance to be sure you don't lose a wheel :)

Thanks Jon

I'm really interested in making my truck more stable especially while cornering and if using spacers goes some way in meeting my objectives, so be it.

John

If anyone is looking for 100 series spacers I have a pair. I dont know the PCD off the top of my head, but I think its 5 x 150 or something. They are the Bolt on types. Very good condition and not Chinese stuff.

They are 30mm , A friend used for about 10 miles and removed because the wheels wouldn't pass the MOT as they were too wide. So they are like brand new, come with nuts! Only thing is I only have a pair of these, as the guy is still running the rear ones on.

pm me if you are interested.

Kind of gone off the idea of using spacers. Don't fancy having wheels fall off my wagon whilst in cruise mode......

I used spacers for years on a Series III Landrover. It was much-modified and had 235/85R16 Wildcat EXT tyres.

I bought spacers from Scorpion Racing, they bolted to the standard wheel studs and had their own studs for the wheels. Not cheap but very good quality and worked well.

They allowed me to turn off the road into a field when towing a horse trailer without having to do a three-point shuffle in the road :lol:.

I needed to fit wheel arch extenders as well and, being a Landrover, there were loads to choose from.

I never had a problem with them and the (very substantial) wheel bearings never complained either.

Bob.

Back