Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Attaching pictures

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
I've enabled file uploads to the forum so you can now post pictures now by uploading the files from your computer. The limit is ten files per post. Not sure if that is too low or not?

It's going to be on a trial basis. If the bandwidth goes through the roof then I'll think again.
Not sure how it works, not sure how it'll look in your posts but lets see how it goes.

It should / will be limited to images and gps files so nothing dangerous can be sent. It is also only available to users with more than 20 posts (I think the switch is 20)

Below the box where you type should now be an area to upload files.

[attachment=0:1tmo33qg]IMG_20111211_154847.jpg[/attachment:1tmo33qg]

Image placed in the middle of the text

Attachments

• IMG_20111211_154847.jpg
    IMG_20111211_154847.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 296
Great feature however I have noticed that there is a file upload size limit, so you still need to resize the file before you upload. Could the server resize the pic, this would make it easier for non IT geeks? This would solve all the new member questions regarding how to post pics :thumbup:

Keep up the good work Crispin

There is a plugin I can get which does it for you. Busy looking at how to get it working. Also creates an album for you.
Stand by .

nice addition to forum! thanks Crispin

So changed it so you can upload your pics and a smaller version is made for displaying. When someone clicks on that, they can see the full size.
Not loving it but I'll play with the settings a bit more at some point.

Crispin, that is magic. I am on some other forums where you can do that. So much better for a quick snap to show something that someone is asking about without having to load it Phonobucket.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great idea

Is it as simple as copy pics from com then paste to here then?

Karl

Not quite Karl. Look under the reply box when you are creating a message and you will see 'add file' Click on browse and you can search your PC for the file. You select that file and it adds it for you into the long box. Then click add file. It's not a copy and paste job as such.

Like this

Chris

This photo was already resized. Didnt have one of a truck :oops:

karl

Attachments

• LCP80-0054.jpg
    LCP80-0054.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 291
Hi Crispin,

Perhaps of making a file size limit, why seperate the two ?
Documents may need more file size?

Just have the maximum image dimensions 800x600 ?
Generally 800x600 is a decent size to view, and no more than 200kB.

Having a clickable "pre view" image of say 80x60 ?

Just an idea.

Gra.

I'll probably remove the file size limit when I get the auto resizer to work. For most, it is easier to just upload the pics from their camera and be done with. I'm one of the lazy ones that does not want to resize the pics myself and then upload them. I know it is easy but some struggle and most find it a bother.

We'll see once the auto image stuff is done.

Great, I didn't know you could have an "auto resizer" at your end.

However if some guys just directly upload a 4000x3000 4 meg file, your band width will be eaten up.

May be better to have a tutorial on PIXresizer.
They don't come any easier than that.

http://bluefive.pair.com/

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Just an idea, so guy's on mobile internet, or limited intenet can upload more efficiently time wise also.

Gra.

Rob said:
Could the server resize the pic, this would make it easier for non IT geeks? :thumbup:

This is what i need . Don't have a clue how to rezize .
And until a pc does it for me with one click i won't be using this method

Now if i could use a hammer that be different .

erm....... :shifty:

I'm guessing someone's paying for this.... I'm conscious it's at least in part, not me (i think)....

erm.... [cough] ????

ooo - do we need a cough smiley? :lol:

Graham,

It's not really a problem with people uploading large pics. That is a once off thing. The bandwidth gets consumed when 1000 people then view that large pic.
When I get the stuff working then it'll be a case upload what you want and the server will do the rest for you. Makes life simple all round...

Back