Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto Box issue??

L18 CGL

Garage
Rite my truck is 94 4.2 with A442f box. My missus cooked the old box and I bought a spare truck and took the box out of it. I did approx 150 miles in the truck before it came out and it drove fine. Christmas 2011 I swapped the box over and noticed something after a while. When taking off from a stand still it stays in 1st for a split second and then changes up into 2nd and causes it to be very slow getting away kickdown has no effect and it just stays in second. I have noticed that it doesn't do this when cold only when it warms up. I was off roading a while back and even in low range it was the same I really struggled to get up a hill to the point where I had to give it a rev and knock it into D this was the only way it would take off and stay in 1st. If I didn't do ths it would have just stopped on the hill and not even spun a wheel. I have tried manually putting it into L whilst driving and it doesn't go in all the time and if it does and you rev it hard it will change by itself even when still in L.

I have researched before posting. Kickdown cable adjustment is good. Oil has been changed and level is good. I have read about testing shift solenoids but got lost in tech talk I need the idiots guide! LOL

There are a few possibilities but it sounds like it could be a sticky solenoid. I know that cantanko on TLOC was having a very similar problem recently so maybe it's worth contacting him to see if he resolved it and how? If you don't get any more clues I would try swapping the 1 & 2 shift solenoids for some new or known good ones.

I will try swapping the shift solenoids with some good ones but will check voltage on TPS first. Update to follow

All sorted changed the solenoids over from my old box and it is runing perfect.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi

Are the shift solenoids inside or outside the box as I think I may have the same issue as you describe above.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I hope!

Back