Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto gear box fault / failure.

andrewlowe13

A strange question, with a lot of additional questions I suspect....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-TOYO...9246230?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c21fbfb16

I was wondering about looking at this motor about a month ago, when it was advertised for sale at £4000.
As you see from the link, it is now poorly.
I just called them to ask for some details in the fault, and was told that: "It was working fine, and then the car just stopped. No drive. Engine runs fine, but the car won't move. No noise, no smell, no puddle of oil underneath, no smyptoms before it stopped working. Gear selector moves ok, but its just broken down."

They were driving it when it stopped working, and it was then recovered to a nearby garage, which is where it currently is sat waiting!
Very glad that I didn't buy it a month ago (!) but wondering now weather to persue it, and buy it for less, and take the 'risk' that the repair isn't going to make the full price too huge.

So, anyone got any thoughts based on the info so far?

Answers like 'how long is a piece of string' are not permitted! :doh:

I would assume you'll have to change the gearbox, if it were an easy fix they would probably have fixed it already ;) I don't watch 90 prices but that seems quite a lot for a broken petrol one with quite a few miles.

Yes Jon, its done a few miles, but I guess the LPG evens out the balance a little. My thinking was that (in round numbers) the prices start at £3k, so add another £1k onto that, and you move up a few years with this one.
Probably the wrong time of year for this: Not ideal changing the gearbox in the cold weather, a week before Christmas!

Not sure what rare export is. Import I get, but export?

Don't like where the tank has been shoved. That is crude and means that most of the functionality of the Colorado's great load area has been lost.

I have to say - and it's entirely my view, but I'd walk away from that unless I was a gearbox mechanic with a hoist, spare transmission and time on my hands.

Chris

Chris said:
Don't like where the tank has been shoved. That is crude and means that most of the functionality of the Colorado's great load area has been lost.

I have to say - and it's entirely my view, but I'd walk away from that unless I was a gearbox mechanic with a hoist, spare transmission and time on my hands.

Chris

Yes, I actually already rang a local LPG shop to ask about moving the tank....

I agree with Chris, I would let someone else enjoy its rarity and have the pleasure of fixing the gearbox. You won't be able to test drive it so there could be all kinds of other problems to fix after you change the gearbox.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wonder whether it has had the radiator fail and been run with coolant in the autobox???

I have a similar vehicle - though 2 years older. The LPG tank position seems bizarre to me unless to do not intend to use the luggage space AT ALL.

I'd walk away from that one TBH.....there are many more 3.4VXs out there, though you may need to wait a few weeks for the "right" one to turn up. :)

I like that Jon, yes 'rarity'.

I have to ask just how they have bust a relatively young machine like that. The auto box on the 90 is pretty legendary UNLESS they have had a failed rad of course. Or they have been pulling huge farm trailers. Given the address, you do have to wonder. OK if you know the full history of the car and we don't then it's a different matter. We can only call what we see.

C

I'd say that's grossly overpriced especially with no boot space plus who'd want a tank full of LPG in the car, is it even legal? On top of that given the tranny problem I'd value it at not much more than £500, seriously.

tis expensive but certainly worth more than £500

I would stab at £1250 if you fancy it but have a look first ;)

The gas tank is a peice of cake to alter so I wouldnt worry about the cost of doing that, any decent garage should do it for half a days labour and a couple of pipe alterations

I would be more worried if there are any other hidden issues but I doubt it given the usual reliability

Its a non-runner, with an undiagnosed fault (despite being in a garage?), they want to sell it without getting a repair costed up, and to cap it all, its on ebay.

I cant imagine a worse scenario for buying a car.

Is it being sold by the people that bought it for £4000 some weeks back, or did it not sell ?

Worth buying for its spares value, worse case is if its not worth fixing you can break it for parts.

Of course, any problem can be solved if you throw enough money at it.

Something doesnt ring true. I reckon they know what the problem is, but it will drop the ££££ if they say what it is. Who has a £4000 car and when it breaks down doesnt find out how much it would cost to fix.

Pete

I agree with what has been said. Walk away and get one thats on the road. :thumbup:

Back