Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Automatic Transmission Oil (Stupid Question)

Geordie Paul

Garage
Here may be a very stupid post :doh:

When is the best time to check the Automatic Transmission Oil level, Hot or Cold? Mine seems to have too much in. I have always checked it when the engine is hot and the level has always been 4-5mm over the top of the hot marker on the dipstick. I tried testing it from cold today and the level was still 4-5mm over the hot marker on the dipstick :think: :think:

I normally check it with the gear select in N.

There is no water in there as the oil looks very clean (not white) and there is no visible water on the dipstick.

I am going to change the oils this weekend and am not sure what level to fill it back up to.

Will running it with too much oil in do any damage? It has been like this for a few thousand miles now. It was only when i checked it from cold that i thought it seemed odd. Toyota did the last service at 133K (now 140K)

Thanks for any help :thumbup:

Check it hot after a run. Park up and with foot on the brake, cycle through the gear selector options P, R, N D etc a few times so that you feel the bumps as it selects a gear. Then put it in P and with the engine running, check the fluid level. Level ground obviously.

Too little is not enough and too much is more than you need.

Chris

exactly as Chris says, just bear in mind too much is as bad as too little

Man this oil is driving me mad!! :x

Changed the ATF this morning and there seems to be no difference what so ever between the hot and cold level, i.e. whether the oil is hot or cold the level stays the same :doh: :doh: I have checked it from cold and hot now and no difference on the dipstick :doh:

At present the oil level is halfway between the cold and hot mark, should i top it up to the hot mark or leave it where it is?

Sorry if i am being a total goon! I have not done much with auto gearbox's before,

Thanks for any help :thumbup:

P.S. I am checking it exactly as outlined above :thumbup:

Auto transmission oil usually expands a fair bit so I am surprised it hasnt moved at all :? you are doing the check with the engine running and the box in park or neutral ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have tried both mate, I will give it a go in the morning and see what it is like then. :think:

Back