Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auxiliary Fuel Tank Project (Land Cruiser 90)

KZJ90

After two summer WVO testing, I decided to install an auxiliary tank under my Land Cruiser. Main reason for this is that it´s not possible to use WVO at winter time almost at all, because of it´s thickness (it´s even solid). So now I can use diesel for Webasto and for starting/heating up time.

So, I bought ATG stainless steel tank (27 litres), Sirai L340 -valves and an universal tractor fuel filter. I modified/welded the original fuel intake pipe for two tank hoses, fabricated/welded brackets for the tank and 30-plate heat exchanger.

I wrapped 2 metres of 10 mm copper pipe over the fuel filter, so it´s heated version now. A sensor for Oil Temperature gauge is installed too.

I have done 50 mm bodylift (body lifted from frame), so there is more space than normally under the body. The tank is just at the same height from the earth than the frame rails. The heat exchanger and the filter is installed just front of the tank.

The car is equipped with a rear heating, so there is going heating pipes from the motor. The water for the heat exchanger is taken from those.

Everything works well. :thumbup: Electrical connections/switches still need finishing.

Universal filter+fuel temperature sender+copper pipe wrapped
suodatin.jpg

Heat exchanger (30 plates)+ball shut-off valve+insulation
lmmnvaihdin.jpg
lmmvaihd.jpg

Fuel tank (ATG ST2027)
tankki.jpg

Modified tank pipe
tyttputki.jpg

p1040208yd.jpg

Return line valve
p1040212e.jpg

Everything installed and working
filterheating.jpg

p1040223s.jpg

p1040222.jpg

p1040221s.jpg

Fuel hose insulation
paletkuneristys.jpg

Diagram (sorry messy draving)
diagramv.jpg

Attachments

• suodatin.jpg
    suodatin.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 243
  • lmmnvaihdin.jpg
    lmmnvaihdin.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 412
  • lmmvaihd.jpg
    lmmvaihd.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 246
  • tankki.jpg
    tankki.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 282
  • tyttputki.jpg
    tyttputki.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 215
Looks good mate. Did same with my filler neck as well. You have got a fuel heater for the oil under the bonnet as well though havnt you?
karl

Nice going M.

Tidy looking addition. But with your healthy lifestyle, there can't be much waste oil around, surely? You aren't melting down all of the Elk are you? :o

Chris

karl wester said:
Looks good mate. Did same with my filler neck as well. You have got a fuel heater for the oil under the bonnet as well though havnt you?
karl

No I haven´t (but the small glow plug version in diesel line, it´s been there since starting this hobby). The one and only (big 30-plate version) is under the rear floor and the fuel hose to the IP is well insulated.

Chris said:
Nice going M.

Tidy looking addition. But with your healthy lifestyle, there can't be much waste oil around, surely? You aren't melting down all of the Elk are you? :o

Chris

Tnx. Healthy? I don´t know about that. I have got free oil enough so far (from pizza/kebab places). ;) You can´t get vegetable oil from elks. :lol:

I have my heater under the bonnet. Need to mount it as close to the pumpas pos for mine though. I also am going to heat the veg tank to make it easyier to get up to the front. Going to put a pump at the back end as well as i have done that in the past to help ip pump. I love it though. The saving on oil is unbeleivable. veg rules
karl :thumbup:

You can´t get vegetable oil from elks. :lol:

Maybe not, but they make a nice kebab though!

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice project, not exactly cold enough here for that. :(

That's that to the bottom left? Water cooled intercooler?
p1040212e.jpg

Attachments

• p1040212e.jpg
    p1040212e.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 389
karl wester said:
I have my heater under the bonnet. Need to mount it as close to the pumpas pos for mine though. I also am going to heat the veg tank to make it easyier to get up to the front. Going to put a pump at the back end as well as i have done that in the past to help ip pump. I love it though. The saving on oil is unbeleivable. veg rules
karl :thumbup:
Yes, but if the heater is at back, the distance between it and the tank is not as long = easier to pump cold/thick oil. Anyway, I don´t have extra space under the bonnet any more. :( The veg tank heater + heated fuel lines would be great, then there would be a possibility to use 100% veg oil around the year. Now I have to blend, because WVO is quite solid below 0°C.

Crispin said:
That's that to the bottom left? Water cooled intercooler?

Yep, that´s it.
cuuleriasennettubn2.jpg

And this is the radiator of it, 26x7x2":
kzj90radiator.jpg

I do totally agree with the heater at the rear for the reasons you gave. I am running 100% wvo all year round and have done for a few years,but do have the problem with it freezing. I am thinking of running a load of copper pipe on my fuel tank of maybe a 12v heater to heap it along.
karl

OT warning:

Did you opt for that purely for space reasons? Are they deemed better or no difference than normal air-air ones? Size is an obvious advantage.

Not only for space reasons, water-air solution is more effective at least in a theory and suits for slow moving 4x4 better too. And the idea of this fascinated more than usual air-air concept.
I have changed the radiator 3 times to bigger, the first was Cinquecento´s, 2nd was from Golf II and this is made specially for this application. There was too much heat in the water with Golf radiator at last summer when was hot and big caravan was hooked.

KZJ90 said:
Modified tank pipe
tyttputki.jpg

p1040208yd.jpg

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I am going to fit an auxiliary tank under mine and was very interested in your filler modification any more pics and info on how you did this?

I take it you place the filler nozzle one way or other depending on which tank you are filling?

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• tyttputki.jpg
    tyttputki.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 251
thewormman said:
KZJ90 said:
Modified tank pipe
tyttputki.jpg

p1040208yd.jpg

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I am going to fit an auxiliary tank under mine and was very interested in your filler modification any more pics and info on how you did this?

I take it you place the filler nozzle one way or other depending on which tank you are filling?

Thanks
Dave

Try to source some pics of the Australian market VZJ95 or KZJ95 filler setup; they run twin tanks as standard from the factory on the diesel and V6 petrol versions; the filler cap opens to reveal almost a figure of 8 straight up with one running to the front tank (below the seats, 85L IIRC) and the other to the rear tank (55L IIRC) giving a total from the factory of 140Litres.

They may also be able to give you the part numbers for the fuel filler, pump and gauge that goes in the dash for the 2nd tank.

LongRanger tanks out there do replacement tanks IIRC for the x95, they'll take it up to 200 litres for bush touring without a body lift- don't think you can body lift an x90 easily over there due to ADR.

Attachments

• tyttputki.jpg
    tyttputki.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 271
thewormman said:

Thanks
Dave

I have only this picture more. Later I installed breather hose to the neck too, it was too difficult to fill up without it. I was able to choose which tank I am filling with smaller fueling gun, with bigger (truck) gun it was not possible. I don´t know do you have the same size guns there or not, but I assume so.
p1040182qf.jpg

Attachments

• p1040182qf.jpg
    p1040182qf.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 262
Back