Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auxiliary fuel tank

pberrey

Country Flag
uk
I don't know if anyone saw the Front Runner 170litre tank sell on eBay this week but I think £643 is a bit steep for a welded stainless steel box. Congratulation to whomever bought it.

Does anyone know of any standard fuel tanks from other vehicles that fit where the spare wheel goes? Obviously mounting brackets would have to be made to suit.

Given that I will rarely fill it I'm not prepared to spend very much on this project but would like to look into it as a bit of fun.

Rgds
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul
Some 80 variants came with a 55L sub tank fitted above the spare wheel. My 80 GXL (Oz spec) was one and I thought some of the VX's UK or Jap ones also. So if 55L is enough, you may be able to buy the OEM tank from a breakers yard.
The plumbing is the issue. On the OEM the sub tank pumps into the main tank not feeds to the motor. Some folks fit a gravity feed but there are issues on steep inclines if you don't fit one way valves etc and always a problem to get the last drop out.
Then you have to think about filling the tank, the OEM has a Y junction at the filler pipe with a change over flap controlled with a lever next to the filler.
I swapped my sub tank for a 165L longranger from Oz and used all the existing OEM plumbing, pump and fuel gauge. But that was in South Africa for overlanding with long distances between pumps :)

Ken

Last edited:
Back