Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

axle bump stops

Rob

Garage
i have just completed a 50mm lift and i have been told to extend the bump stops by 40mm. 2 questions

can i damage my shocks if i take it offroad without extending the bump stops?

why only extend them by 40mm when it is a 50mm lift?

BTW i have OME shocks and Ironman coils. need to get some new ones from milners as the old ones are missing the rubber bits. I assume i need to to do both front and back.

On long shocks you sometimes need to do that because the shock is still too long when fully retracted and would act like a bump stop and as it's not designed to stand that it can damage it. I'm surprised to hear OME's need that or did you get L shocks rather than the standard +50mm ones?

I got the standard +50mm OME shocks Jon. So with standard OME shocks I should not need bump stops right?

It's the first time I've heard that for the standard OME 2" lift shocks but it's not my $ at stake. Others on here have run +2" OME's so they should be able to comment and have more direct experience. The other reason to extend the bump stops sometimes is to stop the tyres rubbing on the inside of the wheel tub but I never bothered and neither has Ray (+5" shocks IIRC) don't know about Ian.

The OME shocks are 25mm longer than factory shocks on full compression and having had one customer destroy their rear shocks most likely through bottoming out I now tend to use a bit of 40mm box to lower the bump stops enough to provide additional clearance.

Back