Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

B34cons 95 Series (small) Build

B34con

Country Flag
new_zealand
So, I'll be honest - in comparison to the builds on the forum, this will hardly be considered a "build"..

I picked up my 1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado TX over two years ago in early 2019.
It's a 3.0L Turbo Diesel Manual Transmission.
When I purchased the truck, it was a fresh import from Japan, one owner in Japan (from new) and then sold to the international market.
I paid $22,000 for the truck with 76,000 km on the clock - and believe me, I was dubious about the mileage.. Upon deep inspection, it was genuinely 76,000km! A very well looked after vehicle.

Here's a pic from the day I picked her up;
Truck Day 1.jpg

Over the past two years I haven't done a huge amount of work to her - She just hasn't needed any!
I installed a JVC headunit with Android Auto (Best $800 I have ever spent!). A small upgrade, but it has made this 20 year old vehicle feel so much newer.
Head Unit.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that I needed some new tires.. This is the beginning of the end - it was going to happen one day, but the mod bug has bitten me once again.

So in the hunt for new tires, I decided to take a frugal approach, and went searching the local auction sites. I managed to score a set of 2011 Toyota Hilux 17" wheels with good tires for $480 - they don't look too bad, and are very comfortable daily wheels/tires!
Lux Wheels.jpg

After picking up the Hilux wheels, I woke up the next morning to an auction notification stating I had won another set of wheels (I forgot I had another outstanding bid!) So I picked up some 15" wheels with 33" tires for $450 - 30mm Bolt on spacers to make the wheels fit, only to find that I am now fouling on the frame.. So I think a lift may be on the cards for the future..
33s.jpg

Over the past weekend, I went beach driving for the first time in my life (I must've lived quite a sheltered life, apparently!) and my god did I love it! I took the partner and dog with me, and we all had an absolute blast. Of course.. This is where the bug has bitten.. One more photo in this post, then I will write up what my plans are!
Beach Day.jpg

Reactions: Raj
Onto the plans for the truck...

After some very light beach fun on the weekend (Yes I washed the truck thoroughly afterwards!) I found the mod bug and have decided that I want to make this truck a nice tourer.

I have also had a 2 3/4" exhaust system fabbed up (dump pipe back) I need to look into fabricating a new dump pipe as the stock pipe is quite restrictive.
I have also installed a little boost gauge & boost tap, currently running 12.5ish psi of boost.

I have a few things on my "to-do" and "to-buy" list at the moment.. So..

I have purchased a butane double burner stove that I plan on building into a custom rear draw setup.
I plan on something quite tidy for the boot, something that will house;
Butane Stove (purchased)
25L Water
Air Compressor
Shovel
Jack
Tools
Fridge

I am hoping to begin drafting my drawer unit this week, and hopefully begin fabrication this weekend if all goes to plan!

That's the majority of the internal work I have in mind (at the moment..)

On the exterior side, I am looking at trying my hand at fabricating a ARB style front bar.
I have purchased a nice Light bar that I am hoping to get installed sometime this week
I need to do some measurements at work - but I would like to lift the truck, unfortunately I don't have too much headroom in my carpark - so this will be one of the later upgrades!

Small update - I have received a few parts to help me begin building my rear drawers!

First on the list..
In the first photo - you will see my lovely yellow foglights, man... I loved those, unfortunately about a year ago a stone decided that my glass was a great target.. And.. Well.. I couldn't find any replacement glass anywhere!

20210803_103601.jpg

Out with the old.. In with the new!
23" Ridge Ryder Light bar!
20210803_103727.jpg

I wasn't planning on fitting the light bar today.. But, I got bored working from home and I guess I now have a lightbar!
20210803_123601.jpg

I will report back with the light output..

I should get back to work.. I may also begin planning the drawers later today now that I have my stovetop - it's a hell of a lot deeper than I thought!

Check back later.

Update time! Not a big update .

I got bored. I designed my drawers, I then redesigned them, and repeated this step a few times.. unable to make my mind up, I decided to go and get some materials!
20210806_110428.jpg

I have begun work on the base of the drawers - I need to cut another piece of wood for the base that will be shaped a lot closer to the floor of the boot

Anyway 15 minutes of cutting and I have a start!
20210806_170448.jpg

20210806_170419.jpg

Great updates, keep me em coming

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I did have a good laugh at your expense, Tony.. I haven't even asked you for dinner yet!

Managed to get a little bit more done on the drawers today .. now I am far from a competent handyman, so it certainly isn't perfect! But it's all good practice.

20210807_131049.jpg

I need to add a couple of horizontal rails in the base but it's slowly coming together
20210807_133832.jpg

20210807_163659.jpg

I wish I could keep updates coming this frequently all the time.. alas, such is life.

I got quite a bit more done on the drawer system today. I have to admit, I am quite proud of what I got done today. It is by no means perfect, but it is actually my first time building anything other than a fence...!

So I decided to tackle one side at a time, first thing to do was some side reinforcement and walls!
20210808_111448.jpg

So far so good! I have decided to mount it a little further back than I originally planned. This is to make it a little easier to build it to fit.

With the walls up, I now have a perfect canvas to get the drawers started!
20210808_122018.jpg

This was the mock up for the top part of the stacked drawers
20210808_144227.jpg

received_1138835733274241.jpeg
received_550883966341165.jpeg

Edit: a note for my future self ..
Having another look at the base, I may remove the sheet of wood, and lay two vertical rails to hold the draw slides and lower my drawers a bit..

Last edited:
Dropped the rails after work and mocked up the second draw... It's starting to look like something.. I'm not sure what, just yet..

I don't think blue pills will help my issue here..
20210809_165006.jpg

Edit: couple more pics
20210809_184026.jpg

20210809_194739.jpg

20210809_194743.jpg

Last edited:
Quick update - I have a roof rack and awning! Only issue is the awning won't fit in my carpark at work... That's a bigger!

Onto the drawers.. I thought that I had really figured out how my drawers were going to work... Well, I've revised my design a few more times since!

20210814_141107.jpg

Decided to try a sheet of ply as a drawer.. it seemed to work well!
received_912995835954311.jpeg

So I built a supporting draw that will slide out 500mm, housing my 700mm drawer with the hob on it.

Here's my backyard square bar mount!

20210815_104024.jpg

Well, our little island at the bottom of the world has done well holding off COVID-19... But we have been put into a 7 day lockdown... You know what that means.... Truck time!!

So I'm a bit gutted, I'm going to struggle to get a few key materials to really finish the build off, but that's okay. I have made a few more changes to the drawers, including adding a third draw into my "kitchen" side
20210818_141447.jpg

Unfortunately I was not as clever as I thought I was, I've mounted my third draw a little too high, and a little too far back.. but it's definitely beginning to come together!
20210818_163936.jpg

Hoping to get an oil change done later in the week, but that's all lockdown dependant at the moment.

Keep safe y'all

Lockdown isn't so bad, man. I've ordered a full set of rotors and pads that'll arrive later this week - that's a job that's well overdue. I also need to remember to order a driver's side sway bar end link.. My rubber is well perished!

A bit of a photo dump.. I'll add some commentary at the end of the images
20210818_163418.jpg
20210821_125126.jpg
20210822_133637.jpg
20210822_133640.jpg

So a few redesigns have gone on! And it's slowly coming together!
On the left hand side I have made two storage drawers, one for recovery gear, the other for blankets etc. I've left enough room on the left side at the back of the structure (behind 2nd row seats) for a fridge.
I need to get some marine carpet and longer drawer slides, but they will be a little difficult to source at the moment.

Well, I'm now stuck waiting on more materials! It's looking quite fine, if I do say so myself! (I have a very low standard)
Screenshot_20210825-152651_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210825-152635_WhatsApp.jpg

IMG-20210825-WA0003.jpeg

Make sure you have some sort of locking device in the drawers or they will slide in and out under acceleration/breaking. Also if you park on a slope they may slide out on you when you open the door.

What is this "acceleration" you speak of...?
All jokes aside, thanks! I'm hoping I can use some latches to help with this issue.

I have just done an oil change, and new rotors and pads all around. Unfortunately I'm not too sure what else I can do with our current lockdown.
20210826_162729.jpg

20210828_103645.jpg

Small update - I shot out to the beach yesterday for a bit of R&R / Mental health break!

20210912_153356.jpg
20210912_123250.jpg

Originally, I didn't plan on doing much of a lift, I was thinking 1.5" TOPS..

Well, a set of 80 series springs popped up locally for ~$50 (USD) and I suppose I am now doing a 3" lift!

Stay tuned

Reactions: Raj
Hey everyone! I know this isn't a funny picture thread, but I made a boo boo on the weekend and thought you may enjoy a giggle at my expense!

I installed my 2" lift in the front no issues at all (was actually surprised with the ease of the front!) and I am quite happy with the extra lift I have now gained.
Front Lift.jpg

This is where the funny stuff comes in.. Notice the jack I was using in the image above? I was also using some axle stands that (in hindsight) weren't up to the task!
So after getting the front in, I was itching to get the rears installed.
Lifted the truck up, axle stands under the chassis - all good so far.
Dropped the axle down, and realized I didn't have anywhere near enough clearance to fit the new springs in - so a little bit more height is needed...
I jacked the car up maybe another half inch before I saw one of my axle stands slowly angling down, within half a second, I had the lowest Prado in the country!
SACKED.jpg

So safe to say shi* happened...

here's a pic of the old rear springs vs the new rear springs - I have decided to pay a shop to install the rears for me - I'm looking forward to picking the truck up tonight!

Old V New.jpg

Frigging lucky there mate must have been that can of redbull in the back over loaded your truck
Now you got a bloody good reason to upgrade to a 3tonne hydraulic high lift jack and axle stands to suit a set of four should do the trick

Got the heart beat going, that's for sure!

So, I resigned the installation of the rears to the experts.. fair pricing and I got a set of raw 4x4 predator shocks installed at the same time. They ride incredibly smoothly!
Here she is with a 2" lift at the front and 3" at the rear, this is the day after I picked it up, no wheel alignment done.
Snapchat-44286592.jpg

I had a huge amount of positive camber in the front which made it a little unstable through corners.

For reference here is the rear before and after
20210918_123432.jpg

20210924_171504.jpg

Okay, I may have had some positive camber in the rear, too...

Anyway, today.... Today I had a wheel alignment done and fitted the 33's...
received_593053121879902.jpeg

Back