Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Back door drop. Cracked door skin.

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Just wondered if anyone has had and in any way resolved this. My back door has dropped about 10mm against the catch it locks against. The door skin around the bottom hinge has cracked open. Can find quite a few instances of this on Pradopoint but no suggestions of how to bodge a repair other than shim the bottom hinge. I don't care if it looks messy as long as functionality is restored. Any one sorted this without a new door?

I'll upload a picture later. On ropey 3G at the moment.

Ta

image.jpeg

I am by no means an expert on this but if it were mine, I would consider gently jacking up the outer edge of the door while it is 90 degrees open then grinding a little paint off at 50mm intervals along the edges that have parted after making sure they have returned to where they should be. Then with someone holding a wet towel on the outside skin, behind, tack weld with a mig on each of the bare patches stopping to let the door cool to avoid outer paintwork damage.

Might work. See what others think.

I would go with starcruiser if it was me as it will last longer than any other bodge.

Papier-mâché (without the glue) works well as a heatsink, used to use it a lot when gas welding thin panels.

But what has made it drop? I've got ambulance doors on my 80, a bit like Ben's LJ, and the hinges had worn badly, meaning the doors had dropped so much they fouled each other at the top.

Drilled out the 'femail' of the hinge and inserted bronze bar, then drilled that to suit new steel pins. It all pressed fitted together nicely, with some grease.

No play now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am with Clive on this, your hinge has probably worn so repair/replace it first, looking at that picture closely is appears to me that the door has been opened too far the hinge wearing is a probable cause and pressure has stressed the join resulting in the stress fracture you are seeing as a problem which is in all probability a symptom of another issue that needs resolution, remember in yuppie speak there are no problems only solution opportunities.

Just an additional thought, is the door stop/stay present and correct?
It's hard to say from just a photo but that hinge is looking in remarkably good condition.

Last edited:
My guess is that the door has been opened hard against its stay perhaps the wind caught it and the inner that holds the hinge has disconnected from the outer door skin, which looks like it was glued with sealer. Each time the door is opened the crack gets longer. The only doubt in my mind is whether this was the only connection Between inner and outer door skin, or whether the vertical row of spot welds you can see has disconnected or whether they connect to an inner strengthening piece (which is my guess).
Further investigation may be necessary.

Thanks for the replies. I think it's just as StarCruiser called it. Mrs C has been tootling around France in it for a few weeks and reports the problem after the door swung open downhill. Hinge us definitely fine. Unfortunately the crack doesn't close up when I lift the door, but I'll try it with the wheel off and using a jack when I'm home. Worse case I'm thinking I could stitch weld the two skins, or plug weld them. Even if that doesn't square the door perfectly I could shim the bottom hinge to the door to line things up again. I'll keep you all posted.

Also got an airbag light, but of wheel wobble, and slight pull to one side on flat roads. I reckon it's hit a kerb hard, but this has been vehemently denied :)

The inner skin might need tucking under the outer. The other way may be to put a lever in between the hinge pin and door with something to protect the door in between, to spread the load and try levering it back into position.

I'm not really with this.

If the door has dropped, then either the hinge mountings are loose (which they don't appear to be in the photo) or the hinge pins have worn. I take its a door and not a hatch.

(Sorry for not knowing what a 120 rear door looks like).

I'm not really with this.

If the door has dropped, then either the hinge mountings are loose (which they don't appear to be in the photo) or the hinge pins have worn. I take its a door and not a hatch.

(Sorry for not knowing what a 120 rear door looks like).
The door skin that holds the hinge has parted from the outer skin causing the hinge to only be held by a piece of metal that is braced at one side not both. That then becomes flexible allowing the door mounted hinge part to flex under the weight of the door. Rather like putting a weight on the side of a cereal box. The box will support the weight. If you put a cut along one side of the box, the weight will not be so well supported.

Got it, takes time for the penny to drop these days!

Maybe a replacement door will be a more viable option.

The problem is, if it's fouling the slam, it will likely damage the slam panel in time.

image.jpeg
Finally got round to looking at / bodging this. Take off spare wheel from door. Unbolt the door stopper. Undo one hinge bolt at a time, there's a plate that I think will drop if you did two bolts together. Get Mrs C to lift the door and slide in M10 penny washers. Door now closes perfectly. Will have to keep an eye on the split in the skin join.

Reactions: Sag
Well that's one way of doing it and nice and quick,

Nice bodge, might do the same on mine as the door has also dropped slightly

Tut tut! :eusa-naughty: But at least it stops the door fouling the body and causing more headaches. Bet it gets forgotten now. If it were me it would.

Nothing wrong with a good bodge!

At least its not going to cause more damage.

Now sell it and upgrade to a 90 series :icon-wink:

But you've only got 3 doors Shayne, how can that be an upgrade?

I will never understand a designer putting seats in the back of a car, then making those who want to use them climb over the front passenger and driver to get to them :lol:.

Back