Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Banging from bellhousing

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
All
Mate of mine (actually the one who converted me from Disco2's to LCs) just rang in a flap. He's got two too...
This one is a 2001 d4d Collie 95. 180k miles. Well used but seemed looked after.

Car had come to him with a virtually non-existent front knock, slam panel/bonnet, that was about it.
Banging noise has come on from the bellhousing. Quite noticeable. In all gears, park, neutral, reverse etc.
Goes away under acceleration/load.
Fluid had been very low so he'd previously put a litre of dexron 3 in (it's been in use for a week or ten days).
Seems to drive ok, no clunking on deceleration/acceleration.

He's been under it (roadside) and its dry, no leakage etc, its defo coming from the bellhousing.

Any thoughts so I can point him in the right direction (he doesn't do computers never mind forums lol) ?
Cheers, John

does it do it idling while stationary or only on the move? Might be a cover he can take off at the bottom of the bellhousing to get at the torque converter and make sure it's not loose. Not much else you can check from outside if he's sure about where the noise is coming from and def not traveling down a casing or shaft from elsewhere.

I was thinking either t/c coming loose from flex plate, or flex plate cracked perhaps.
Far as I know its just when idling. But a significant sound.

Just to bring an end to this - the story goes that when my mate first got this one (bought to tidy an flip, he's still got his other one) it had a little "tinkle" on idle/gentle takeup of drive.
Sold it to a bloke - who drives it hard and drags a big old trailer around. Suspicion is that matey gives it full beans from takeoff with all the weight on the back.
Flex plate was completely separated from mounting points - but still "catching" somewhere to actually drive.
£235 later - fit for another 170k miles!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gives you a idea of the amount of torque these trucks have :think:

:wtf: 2013-11-28 13.29.56.jpg

Jees ... no wonder there was some banging!

Back