Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Basic tools to buy for self servicing land cruiser.

Raj

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Dear All,
So far with the inspiration of posts and suggestions from club members and suggested youtube videos, i managed to remove cabin air filter and check. Also checked engine bay air filter and managed to open the struck engine oil cap. I saw a Australian video on oil change and asked if his engine oil turns black, he said it wont change colour at all between services (5000km) so keeping oil clean between services is not impossible task but I have to service it myself.

I was trying to look for best permanent mechanic and a backup mechanic for the car for servicing but its hard. There are very few and very long waiting times. So I decided to go hard way and do it myself.
Please advice if there is any good tool kit to buy. Ideally a one stop tool kit box will be ideal to make sure not to run for a spanner or screwdriver half way with engine open :)
which jacks to buy and howmany I need that can hold the cars weight. Any tips to make sure the car wont fall on me.
Please also advice if there are any lubricants, cleaners etc to work on struck bolts underneath.
I am happy to buy any excess parts from club members if lying redundant.

So far I could only decide on
Oil filter remover plug from Toyota
Engine oil filter set

I thought of taking the list from my old mechanic but for some reason he seems not interested to work on Landcruiser.

Thank you.

You don't need much for an oil change.

A pan to collect old oil (I use a surplus washing up bowl).
A socket set, mine's a basic 3/8" bahco. Halfords advanced are a good buy though as they have lifetime warranty.
An oil filter (about a tenner).
Oil (surprisingly expensive).
New crush washer for sump plug.
You can probably do it without a jack at all with something as high as a land cruiser.

If you do want to jack the car up then you need one jack typically and a set of axle stands. Do not work under a car on just a jack, it's dangerous.

I'd add an oil filter wrench to that. I've seen Raj taking the top off a beer. Trust me, a wrench is a good idea. Ha ha.
Also a funnel or large oil filler jug. Pouring oil straight fom the plastic can is quite a skill.

Oh also a magnetic pick up tool, because you WILL drop the sump plug into the oil collection pan.

I used a pair of water pump pliers I had lying around last time. I think a wrench would be a better idea.

Funnel is a good shout. Also lots of paper towel for when you spray oil all over the driveway.

Thank you Rich. While looking for Halfords axle stand found SGS 4 tonne n 6 tonne stands. More is always better. Do I need 4 of these?

Chris you saw my DIY skills :)

You need two per axle, so four to completely lift the car. That said, it's not that often you need to lift the whole vehicle and if you need to it might be easier to find a local place doing lift hire.

Something to consider is that heavier duty are larger and heavier, so I wouldn't go mad. My small set are two tonnes but get the most use.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Halfords tools are pretty good and the advanced range come with a warranty.... they also do an adjustable filter wrench ( like a big pair of water pump pliers )
Six sided sockets or flank drive ones not multi point ones (they round off nuts and bolts easily)
Decent pair of pliers
Decent set of scewdrivers
Set of Metric combination spanners

Don't be tempted to buy cheap tools.... buy good ones and you will never need to buy them again but don't waste money on Snap On ....
Teng tools , Elora , Sykes Pickvant, and Facom are all respected by professional users ...Draper Tools can be OK but also can be utter rubbish .....depends on the tool and where made.... Sealey are not up to regular use .

Thanks Rich, Chris, Grimbo so for now apart from consumables if I buy below set will I be able to do oil, filter, tyre changes like basic maintenance? or do I need anything else. First project is to change engine oil and its filter every 1000/2000 miles until the oil gets cleaner.

Halfords advanced jack
Halfords advanced 2 or 3 tonne axle stands (2 nos)
Engine oil filling funnel
Pan for collecting and carrying oil to recycle centre
sheet for driveway
Halfords screwdrivers set
Halfords 50 Piece 1/4 and 3/8 Drive metric socket set

Halfords Advanced 16pc Flex Ratchet Spanner Set​

Fuel filter wrench- I thought of getting the one from Toyota

Halfords seems easy as I go n buy all set at once :)

A set of 4 ramps can be easier than a jack and axle stands for some jobs.

You shouldn't need to lift the car just for an oil change.

If you do want to know how to lift the car safely, take your kit to the next meet and get someone to show you where to put the stands and the jack. It can obviously be dangerous if you're not used to it and having someone show you first hand will increase your confidence when you do it on your own.

I like this type of oil filter wrench. They also work in tight spots.
Screenshot_20210818-075100.jpg

Halfords 50 Piece 1/4 and 3/8 Drive metric socket set

I would get this: Halfords Advanced 28 Piece 3/8" A/F Socket Set Modular Tray | Halfords UK - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]
rather than the basic 50 piece set. You don't really need 1/4" for cars, they're not strong enough. And being "advanced" you get the lifetime warranty which is very very good.
They're also flat faced sockets as mentioned above.
If you need to expand later on you can think about a set of 1/2" sockets for tougher jobs. That said my 3/8" with the handle from my jack (which is a steel tube) slipped over will loosen a lot of things.

Oil every 1000 miles seems like an expensive endeavour given oil is about £40 a throw. Does it make that much difference to have such a rapid change schedule?

Fwiw this is the oil from my petrol car after about 7000 miles, the engine of which is in very good condition (Mr T had the heads off recently so I have seen the internals).

IMG_20210802_162657__02.jpg

Last edited:
No need to do that with your oil. You're over thinking it it. Just change it as per the schedule and use a genuine Toyota filter. You need to see where the filter is. That really dictates the type of oil filter wrench to buy. I use one with a 3/8 drive which has kinda 3 fork prongs on it. It grips the filter in line with the ratchet so you don't need any space around it. Some filters stick out and you can use other types of wrench. They're not always in easy places to reach.

Raj.....

Oil turning black is normal ....it's the oil doing what it's supposed to do . It happens quicker in modern diesels with EGR due to the soot loading .

Oil in your engine does much more than just lubricate it.... it cools it , it collects the nasty residues from the combustion process and holds them in suspension to stop them building up and blocking oil ways etc ...

If you use the recommended spec oil and halve the factory recommended oil change interval that will be more than enough..... use genuine filters and you will be fine

As Chris said the best oil filter tool I have had, and I have had a lot

+1 on the 3 pronged filter tool, also make sure that the oil drain pan is big enough, one of the wide 16 litre jobs with the drain spout works well for me.

I’d follow on with the majority here, for home mechanics the Halfords advanced are more than adequate, have a good warranty and are decent to use in your hand. A 3/8 socket set will cover most of your needs, you could add a small 1/2’ set if you find you are going to bigger jobs ( maybe doing brakes ) Its worthwhile having 2 sets of combination spanners. Get a GOOD JIS #2 screwdriver, it looks like Phillips but it’s better as this is correct for Toyota. Don’t forget a torque wrench, and use it until you have confidence in what you are doing I’d say two axle stands are enough, a 3ton trolley jack. most of these will come in plastic storage boxes so easy to store, but a small toolbox can keep everything together, something like USPRO on eBay would be ok and are decently priced.
Dont buy really cheap tools, they will break and you’ll have burst knuckles!

Hi Raj - if you’re just starting to collect tools together for basic maintenance, I would certainly agree that a 3/8” drive socket set is best. Make sure it’s metric not A/F. The Halfords link above is for A/F but the metric equivalent of that set would be fine.
Get a good torch as well.
Also rubber wheel chocks.
When choosing a jack, make sure it has enough lift height. With most normal car jacks, they run out of lifting height if you’re lifting from the chassis leaving the tyre still on the ground. Same comment for axle stands.
Lastly - tool buying becomes addictive!!

Good shout on the JIS screwdrivers. I only realised recently that the screws on my truck are not Phillips. JIS fit so much better. You’ll probably need to get them online rather than Halfords.
See if a friend has a Halfords Trade card for some good discounts on the rest of your list.

... a set of overalls, a box of nitrile gloves and a tub of Swarfega...

Back