Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Batteries again....

Ducktape

Hi Guys, I know there have been a few posts about batteries before so please excuse the question, but I can't find the information I'm looking for...

We've installed a National Luna battery split charger/monitor on my mate's Cruiser which basically split the two standard batteries. Passenger side remains the main starter and the driver side unit became the aux unit to power the fridge, etc. in the back.

Both my batteries have now failled as well after 8 years and trying to revive them did get me through the winter, but now I desperately need to replace them...

I'm going to fit a IBS system instead of the NL, but otherwise same as above...

My question is regarding the batteries... I want to purchase the batteries with the highest Amps and CCA that will fit into the standard spaces. All my investigation have also pointed towards the Mr. T ones being the way to go and they do deliver 70A/630CCA each which is not that bad to be honest...

I would love to replace them with something like the Numax XV24MF 86A/1000CCA, but so far I've not been able to locate one with opposite pole layouts as we need in the Cruiser. (You could argue that seeing that I will be changing the wiring this is not a bigy, but I dont want the positive terminal of my battery on the fender (outside) or front side of the engine bay to reduce the risk of shorts in the event of an accident...

Anybody been down this route and know of any better specification batteries available than the Mr T spec..? Optima and the like are in my opinion not worth the extra cost.

Any advice appreciated. Cheers!

Hi Duck, welcome to the forum. Could you update your details please to show where in the World you are. No good us saying try Jim's Batteries in Telford if you are in Bolivia now is it. And as you use words such as 'fender' and said the starter battery was on the passenger side then it does give the impression that you are not in the UK. The starter batter is driver side on a RHD vehicle. The twin battery set up is probably one of the biggest wastes of time on a 90. You just don't need it. It was called the Winter Pack. Not every UK 90 or 95 has it fitted. No reason at all then why you can't split them and use one as a LB.

I know that Yuasa make the left and right handed batteries. What tends to happen in the twin set up is that when one battery starts to fail, it is supported by the other for a while until they are both rogered. This means that you invariably end up changing both which is a bit pants.

Milner stock them so you could ring them and ask what the CCA and A/H ratings are.

Chris

I recently replaced the main battery on my 90, it originally only had 1 battery which is a 95Ah one with one of these:
http://www.battery2u.co.uk/type-250-334 ... -blue.aspx
I however got it from a local supplier for a similar price.

Not sure what size the batteries are in the 90's that have 2, but certainly in my case Toyota were considerably more expensive....

TonyP said:
Not sure what size the batteries are in the 90's that have 2, but certainly in my case Toyota were considerably more expensive....

When I was looking for a new battery for my (petrol) VZJ95, Toyota were very competitive price-wise; the local Toyota dealer only wanted £56. :thumbup:

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions. I have the standard UK spec '02 D4d 95 series GX with the winter pack (KDJ95). On my mates '98 model where we've installed the National Luna system the starter battery was on the passenger side (1KZTE), have not checked mine yet to be honest...

I also figured that you don't really need the dual batteries for London temperatures, hence the idea of fitting two marines (hybrids - to get the best of both worlds) and installing the split battery system, but the Mr. T ones are not to bad and for that price it might just tip the scale a bit. I've read on other forums that alot of people have done this and seem to be very satisfied with the result.

You know what, unless you are planning on running a fridge and other such devices that could drain you batteries I would leave alone. Yeah split chargers etc are great devices, but like in my case, I don't need it. I don't overland so don't have all the extra's that could kill the batteries, but it addes anther level of complexity.

Unless of course you subscribe to the "he who dies with the most toys wins" camp, then go and spend and be happy :cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is coming from a man with THREE batteries of course. :dance:
Yuk Yuk. Couldn't resist.

C

Yeah but Chris I am defo in the "he who dies with the most toys wins" camp..... even if I don't know how half of it works :shh:

TonyP said:
Yeah but Chris I am defo in the "he who dies with the most toys wins" camp..... even if I don't know how half of it works :shh:
Yeah, that's me to :oops:

Back