Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

battery and start-up

wmadams2

Hello all. New to forum, but long time owner of an 80 series 1997 and also 100 series 2006. My 80 doesn't get as much use as the 100 so I've had to jump off the 80 the past few times I've driven it. Once jumped off the 80 runs great (the last time being two days ago.) Today tried to do it one more time, but got nowhere. I installed a brand new battery and everything electrical work, but now the starter turns and turns but the engine won't catch.

Anyone had similar experience? I've got to be missing something. Is there a sensor i could have shorted? Thanks for any advice b/c I'm at a total loss with what could be wrong.

I also have a 80 from the same year and had the same problem. One day no problem and the other day the engine won't start. The starter motor cranks the engine, but it doesn't catch. The problem with my truck is air in the fuel line. I think somewhere at the diesel filter.
Luckily, there is a pump on top of the filter. 20 pump strokes, you can hear the air gurgling in the diesel tank, and it starts like it used to with half a turn of the starter.
i hope this helps for you too. Anyway, i still have to sort out the leak myself.
regards, Wout

Firewout - there is a diaphragm in the filter that gets holes in it allowing air in. fitting a simple and cheap one way valve in the fuel line on the tank side of the filter fuel line can fix that problem.

Welcome.
When you say you fitted a battery. I take it that it's a 4.5 petrol?? The diesels have two batteries.

Above wouldn't apply if it's a petrol engine.

If it is a diesel it may be the immobiliser that has cut in.

Yes a one way valve if applicable but it needs to be one with a very low pressure needed to open it.

Check your engine oil level. Fuel can drain from the injector spill pipe under the cam cover and into the sump. This empty pipe then stops the engine starting. Unusual but I had it and it could wreck the engine by diluting the engine oil too much. My oil level was 25mm over the full mark whereas, before, the level was just below full.

If the car is diesel and there was an air leak in the diaphragm then the normal symptom is crank and the engine starts, runs ok for a few seconds and then runs poorly as air passing through any small holes and getting trapped in the fuel lines/pump. Using the pump on top of the filter head and eventually gets the engine to start but the problem will soon return, eventually the engine will stop as an air lock will prevent the pump pulling through fuel.. This is more common at this time of year as the fuel is colder and is more difficult for the pump to pull it through, if you are in really cold weather then the fuel heater will also fail to come to life adding to your problems.

If petrol, sudden and no warning of a crank/no run scenario is the fuel pump relay has often retired, need to know more about vehicle model and any previous symptoms.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back