Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best Roof Racks

I'm about to start drawing plans for some bars/feet for my 70, to chat through what'd be the most cost effective design with a few of my local fabricators. I was going to price up in steel naked/galv/powdered, and also in ally. Ally I like for lightness, but it wont be as robust or repair/modifieable. I'm after 4 HD bars, and finally concluded I should price up my own rather than compromise on design or pay over the odds. It should be cheaper, and lets me incorporate mounts for other bits n pieces too.
For simplicity I was considering trying to eliminate bends and angled cuts. But I do want a lateral clamp to the gutter even if it's by a second bolt.
These look nice though, less industrial than what I'm imagining

Last edited:
Is there any reason to have the Feet as one like so many of the full RR seem to be.

7e4ejede.jpg

I only ask as to me there is more to rub in the gutter.

I can see it offering some support when braking and accelerating with a loaded rack but just wanted to ask.

More contact area to spread the load across, that's it really.

I see that but the bar connecting the three feet even though it is one piece is quite thin and needs to flex to some degree to follow the contour of the gutter as it is not flat so cant see it spreading much of the load.

I guess what i am asking is should i eave it as it is and cover the length in inner tube to protect the gutter and paint or should i chop the feet into 3 separate bits.

I think its better to spread the load along the gutter as much as possible IF you are planing on a heavy load up top.
My patriot rack had 4 feet each side with 2 joined together which then when tightened took the shape of the roof rail. I would wrap in a inner tube so you dont damage the paint.
When i build my own rack i will be using this kind of design again.
stu

I'm looking for some feet too but I can't see from this thread that someone was going to make them. If anyone can, I 'd be interested

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My ARB came with a couple of steel strips that clips on the feet (making them look like one). It seems to spread the load because when I removed it after 6 years on the truck, three wasn't a mark on the paint in the gutters. It's flexible enough to contour, but it's only 10 - 12 mm high.

Does anyone know where I can get some feet like these? I'm happy with the rest of my rack but unfortunately the feet are made of really thin sheet steel that has been braced with 15mm box section. I'm going to keep the main rack but will cut off the old supports and need replacements.

i have looked at some of the mainstream ones on the market but they are got suitable for my needs.

any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Not being funny but why not just buy some Thule or Halfords gutter mounts... You'd get properly finished everything & all groovey baby ;-) Just saying :)

Yep, just read end of your post... Not sure why they won't work Bill but... Ajolipies ;-)

I did buy a set of Thule feet and tried to retro fit them to my existing rack but it meant compromising the height and design of the rack which I didn't want to do. The feet also didn't suit the look of the rack.

If we can't find any feet like in the above picture then I am simple going to cut off the existing sides and copy them in a thicker steel. It will mean the rack will be significantly heavier but its a small price to pay to keep a rack I'm very happy with.

Back