Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best sources for buying pre 2004 HZJ78 or 79 worldwide

cannedcruiser

Country Flag
canada
So, I'm searching worldwide for the right 1HZ Troopy (or possibly a cab and chassis that I can build a camper for) to import into Canada. It must be 15 years old to import into Canada, so currently that would mean a manufacture date of 01/04. I would prefer it already had a pop-up roof because after the expense of buying one online and having something that size shipped across the world then finding someone in Canada with the experience to properly install it is unlikely I expect.

I'd like to hear from those with similar aspirations and those who have found success and/or dead ends in this search. All tips and suggestions are welcomed to help me find the best Troopy in the best condition at the best price. What sites online to look at? Who to talk to? Etc. Let's hear your experiences.

I started my search on Japan's auction sites because the prices and condition are generally pretty good and the purchase system is simple. Didn't take long to figure out there simply aren't any HZJ78s in Japan.

Next I began looking in Australia. There are a relatively large number of them to choose from there and at relatively reasonable prices. The more affordable ones do tend to have higher mileage than some other countries.

At this point I decided I would rather have a LHD (left hand drive). Driving around town I don't see a big issue, but on the highway I don't like the idea of being behind a truck and having to pull fully out into the oncoming lane to see if it was safe to pass (not that a Troopy would be passing a lot of highway traffic, but in the BC mountains that opportunity does come up fairly often).

So, next I began looking in Europe. This is where I have found the Troopies that are of most interest to me so far. Generally lower Kms than Aus, better condition, but it seems significantly higher prices than similar condition rigs in Aus. Mostly I searched mobile.de and autoscout24.com.

Next I began looking in Africa. Approx. 3/5 of the countries in Africa are LHD. There are some in good shape, but generally the few ads I found through Africargroup.com were as much as two years old. I have received no response from any of the contact attempts I have made.

Most recently I have searched the Middle East. Surprisingly, the various auto sales sites I have looked at have revealed only a couple of Troopies. I would have expected to find much more. They are there, so where are they hiding? Not looking for vehicles with machine guns mounted in the back, I expect those to be very difficult to import.

Looking forward to reading the responses and thank you, Todd.

You should be able to find a left hooker in the EU

If you do find a rhd drive one in the eu let me know I've always wanted one but cant bring myself to pay for it importing. So currently going for a 80, then selling my Defender then going for a 70 series or maybe a Jimny (2019) as well.

I spend a lot of time looking at vehicles I can’t have for one reason or another.

A couple of years ago I came across a really clean-looking low-mileage 78 troop carrier on a random Swedish website, blocket.se. There seemed to be zero interest in it so for a brief moment I looked into what it would take for me to bring it over here. When I last looked there was a 75, a 78 and even a 79 double-cab on there.

This slightly odd BJ75 was on there for an eternity and is now listed in the UK: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1068970

For a full conversion Troopy I think your best bet will be the German-speaking world and Belgium and the Netherlands. Try putting a post up on the Buschtaxi forum in Germany.

Best of luck and let us know what you come up with.

You should be able to find a left hooker in the EU
You're right, I can. I'm just trying to learn more while finding the best bang for my buck, given that I have to pay nearly 20% of the value of the vehicle in import fees plus shipping it in a container.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back