Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Best tool ever?

I use a half inch drive Draper socket set from the early 80s bought by my other half to work on her first motorbike - it's my first pick when I'm doing a job on the 95.I don't do a lot of maintenance at home so I would say my favourite tools are ones I use for carpentry & tree surgery/ forestry.Silky pull saws & a set of Fiskars loppers are always at hand in the woods.I have had fiberglass or composite handeled tools for the last 20+ years & wouldn't go back to wood for anything.

I could'nt get by without the wife, in a nice way.

Cable ties aren't tools are they ?

My best tool is a large pair of water pump pliers. They open up to about 6.5 inches and close to nothing. I closed them fully and held them tight closed whilst I ground the jaws completely flush. This means I can nibble and lever away at the smallest thing. Perfect for eg a rusted in split pin. Just grab it by the head and lever over. If that fails just shear the pin off by undoing the nut.

I would have thought air craft spanners were short as there is often not much room. Maplin do a very short series of spanners. 10-19mm. very well made and perfect when there is little room and much winding has to be done. I've cut spanners in half by now out of frustration.

Last edited:
@StarCruiser
?Bit more info on this please. I've never used anything else than wash-up liquid, but this sounds a few times better.
I believe washing up liquid isn't good for PVC, but maybe that's an old wives tale.

image.jpg

Couldn't believe the difference. Don't know how much it was. If it was £50 it was worth it.

Edit, it's on eBay for £12.63 posted so well worth it.

"Maplin do a very short series of spanners. 10-19mm."

Wow Frank, they are short. How the heck do you hold onto them?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Leatherman Charge and the extra bits, along with the torch and fire stick in the one cover!!

View attachment 107923 View attachment 107924
I still have my Charge from when I worked at the ROH, I also bought a Gerber multi tool as it has the square jaws more suitable for gripping large nuts that the pointy Leatherman jaws couldn't. Both always carried in my 80.

Back