Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Big US 4x4 meets stationary object…not good

I'm inclined to agree.

I covered 100,000 miles on motorcycles before taking my car test (and passed first time). I've had a fairly uneventful driving career for the past 54 years.

Bob.
Long may that continue...

Yes, sure does!

An amusing aside... as a long time motorcycle rider (street and enduro racers) and just to stir my British friends up, I occasionally toss out the incendiary suggestion that the learner driving curriculum should be changed to make it compulsory for learners to first qualify for a motorcycle and spend 24 months out on the roads on a bike... and only after that should any remaining survivors be allowed to take the test for a motor car licence... :sweatsmile:

The thing about riding a bike, you can never safely assume a single thing.... it doesn't matter if you are in the right, it doesn't matter if the lights are green, it doesn't matter if a country road is dry... you yourself may be right but you could very easily end up 'dead right'!! Nothing ingrains defensive driving skills and road surface reading quite like being utterly and life-threateningly vulnerable to other road users' often inadvertent but potentially deadly mistakes! :fearscream:
I’m also inclined to agree, and would also suggests cyclists should undertake the same training because most of them haven’t got a fucking clue about defensive riding. As I have been known to say, it will be of little comfort to your relatives that you were in the right.

I think it would be good for everyone to spend a day in a lorry to see how little can be seen from the cab of a lorry!
Ps, its always nice when you goet the thumbs up from motorcyclists for pulling over a bit in traffic to let them through :)

I think it would be good for everyone to spend a day in a lorry to see how little can be seen from the cab of a lorry!
Ps, its always nice when you goet the thumbs up from motorcyclists for pulling over a bit in traffic to let them through :)
Most people have no concept of the space a truck needs, pulling out of a side road just in front of you then stopping 100 feet later to turn off was always my favourite!

It's when they pull out in front of you, make you slow down, drive 100m before accelerating off and leaving you there chugging up the hill that yoibwoukdnt have a problem with if they'd used that pedal on the right or waited till it was clear

Driving a truck taught me just how many people on the road shouldn't be allowed to push a pram let alone drive something with an engine in it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's when they pull out in front of you, make you slow down, drive 100m before accelerating off and leaving you there chugging up the hill that yoibwoukdnt have a problem with if they'd used that pedal on the right or waited till it was clear
Most are even WORSE than that... they actually wait ages until you're almost right on top of them before they pull out in front of you making you crash brake to avoid running into them as they pootle off in front of you before eventually deciding to accelerate up the hill!!! :fearscream::rage::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
My other gripe is people not indicating at roundabouts. Yes I pull out in front of the odd car now n then but its usually when I can actually tell where they're going and the gap is ......almost big enough. It's far safer than pulling out when an on coming car isn't indicating at all and decides to just turn right. It's their life not mine but they still do it!!!

My other gripe is people not indicating at roundabouts. Yes I pull out in front of the odd car now n then but its usually when I can actually tell where they're going and the gap is ......almost big enough. It's far safer than pulling out when an on coming car isn't indicating at all and decides to just turn right. It's their life not mine but they still do it!!!
That is the one biggie for me, Not Indicating... Iv driven HGV,Tractors of all description. Motorbikes, Nothing worse than slowing down at roundabouts, junctions Etc, Then finding yourself mumbling. 'Oh! Going down that road are we'.. C@*T!!!. :icon-rolleyes:

Most are even WORSE than that... they actually wait ages until you're almost right on top of them before they pull out in front of you making you crash brake to avoid running into them as they pootle off in front of you before eventually deciding to accelerate up the hill!!! :fearscream::rage::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
At least if they accelerate away you have a chance not to hit them, if they then stop to turn and you were expecting them to accelerate you’re well fucked!

At least if they accelerate away you have a chance not to hit them, if they then stop to turn and you were expecting them to accelerate you’re well fucked!
Always expect the worst I say.... that way it's never a surprise and you won't be disappointed!!! lol

Don't do anything out of the ordinary. My friend stopped on a main road to let a car out of a turning on his right!! He was in his Daimler Dart. Someone drove in to the back of him. Good thing it was insured for £35k as repairs were £30k. It's better to be selfish and stick to the plan unless you're in queuing traffic both sides of the road.

I learned to ride a motorbike on a 2 mile gravel farm road when 15yo. No instructors, just my friends laughing at my pain. Within 14 days I could go round the bends sideways. Then it was on to cars and tractors.

Learning on gravel is good. Teaches the seat of your pants.

Don't do anything out of the ordinary. My friend stopped on a main road to let a car out of a turning on his right!! He was in his Daimler Dart. Someone drove in to the back of him. Good thing it was insured for £35k as repairs were £30k. It's better to be selfish and stick to the plan unless you're in queuing traffic both sides of the road.

I learned to ride a motorbike on a 2 mile gravel farm road when 15yo. No instructors, just my friends laughing at my pain. Within 14 days I could go round the bends sideways. Then it was on to cars and tractors.

Learning on gravel is good. Teaches the seat of your pants.
Does my head in when people stop on the main road to let a vehicle out, frequently when there’s nothing behind us. Fair enough in traffic, but not when you’re travelling at A road speed!

Does my head in when people stop on the main road to let a vehicle out, frequently when there’s nothing behind us. Fair enough in traffic, but not when you’re travelling at A road speed!
Me too. I’m beginning to see it on roundabouts (giving way to the left and waving people out) as well now. Unbelievable!!

Add to that those that have the right of way when you wait behind a parked car on your side that flash you to let you through…after you’ve stopped. You’ve probably heard me screaming ‘get on with it’ at the top of my lungs.

Then there’s those after a huge gap where you and 3 cars behind you have enough room to turn right across their path at a snails pace, that flash you just so you know you can go!!
:angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming:

I’m feeling much better now I got that lot off my chest. :icon-cool:

Last edited:
Back