Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bit of help please

That is a nasty crash, Rob - glad you both walked away unscathed.

I had someone do a u turn into the side of my pajero many years ago, The insurance assessor who visited me said they cannot legally take the car from you, if your not at fault, I think I took a £375 deduction on his decent value to keep it, so even if it is past repairing it’s worth asking for a settlement including the salvage. I’m sure you could break it, or sell on yourself for more cash

Cheers

I bought my written off 80 back from the insurer for £250. The insisted on getting the 'bodyshell' back/ And that's what they got. A shell. No axles, glass etc etc. Most of the bits aren't really worth keeping, but things like wheels, diffs, locker motors, transfer cases, switches and of course buckets and buckets of bolts have served me very well.

Van didnt fair well did it!
By look of it im guessing they were to blame too.

Gets tight through there!!

Van didnt fair well did it!
By look of it im guessing they were to blame too.

Gets tight through there!!
There’s not a lot of room to manoeuvre once you’re in there! There’s plenty of signage on both sides of the arch clearly giving me priority. The police are very clear that I’m not at fault for the accident.

Evening - I've agreed a valuation with my insurance company and now on the hunt for another 80. I went and had a look at one last night but there are a couple of things that concern me.

On the last 3 MOT's there's been an advisory for rust on the rear chassis rails around the tower mounting points and when I drove it, it was very slow to accelerate from standing compared to my old one. This was a higher spec car with a Viscous coupling. Is this something that seizes etc?

I'm not sure if I can buy my old car back but they are rating it as a category B due to "significant structural damage"

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If it’s a 24v they can be tweaked very easily for more get up and go. By all accounts many came off the production line with very conservative pump settings due to emissions targets.
I wouldn’t have thought a seized VC would limit acceleration in a straight line but it would be noticeable while cornering with transmission wind-up and tyre chirp, like driving with the CD locked.

If it’s a 24v they can be tweaked very easily for more get up and go. By all accounts many came off the production line with very conservative pump settings due to emissions targets.
I wouldn’t have thought a seized VC would limit acceleration in a straight line but it would be noticeable while cornering with transmission wind-up and tyre chirp, like driving with the CD locked.
That's what I would have thought. It cornered fine and cruised ok, it was just very slow from initial getaway. It's only done about 3k miles in the last 4 years.

A quick update. I got a new 80 a few weeks ago. Thank you to all those that helped me out!
B425064D-14DF-43D6-A920-63C85DE4CA29.jpeg

Now I just need to sort out the issues on this one that I had already sorted on my last one!

Looks lovely Rob, that’ll keep you busy :lol:

That does look sweet Rob. Hope you don’t have too much to do.

Back