Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bizarre insurance questions

Rosy

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
So I just called up the local mutual to renew my policy... after a lovely chat to confirm the details and a quick check of the premium now that I have one of @Trevor trackers fitted, the chap gets back on the phone to confirm if "you or any other users of the vehicle regularly or infrequently transport explosives, guns and/or more than 2000 rounds of ammunition?".

I did have to ask the agent if that was a serious question but given that they insure a lot of farmers I guess it was justified.. Still though, unexpected and definitely one for the water cooler on Monday!

I also found the specificity of the ammo limit curious; what can you do with 2000 rounds that you can't do with 100?

True enough, it’s a bit like air travel security, “are you carrying any weapons?”

.22 rf ammo regularly comes in 'bricks' of 1000 rounds. Typically FAC holders will put down to keep / buy 2000 rounds at a time. It's not unusual. OK so I wouldn't buy .300 WM in those quantities, not without a second mortgage, but I'd guess that's why they asked. The explosives bit may also refer to black powder used in historic weapons. You have to have an explosives licence for that but not for smokeless propellants used in the reloading of modern ammunition. However, asking if you do this regulalry or infrequently seems a long way around of asking do you ever ....

Back