Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bj74 1hdt h55f combo!

Cheers Nick, yes Iwan I use the Buzzweld products and have done for a few years now. A 2 coat apply of CIO is a good approach just don't be too mean on the coat thicknesses. I'm doing a 100 series at the moment using RE (rust encapsulator) as the priming coat, then CIO and then topcoating it with WAR (2 coats of each product).

For heavy pitting, RE as the primer has good build and wetting. Leave to cure for 24 hours and then you have a good base to build up from. WAR is great for topcoat as it has a dry but slight wax type finish, repels water very well and has self healing attributes if dinked by stones etc but doesn't attract dirt like waxoil or dinitrol.

Thanks Trevor, I've bought the product, I used the 3m product on my 81 back in 2014 and in the rear it needs attention next summer! But it's still reasonably/very rust free. It's amazing as time passes by and then you're looking at doing the same job over again!
On the listing it says that you are covered for a decade, so quite an improvement to the 3m product.
I'm hoping to get the buzzweld before xmas (don't celebrate it)! And want to crack on with the job now!
Cheers mate and trust you're well! :thumbup: oh yeah merry xmas :laughing-rolling:

Boxing day isn't called it for nothing!

I bought these a month and a bit ago and my good friend Matt came home for Xmas and today they're here to open up the job!
P1010412.JPG
A hj60 gearbox kit.

P1010414.JPG

Hj60 transfer rebuild kit with the idler spindle.
When I was looking round for these kits a few months back... a price from France was at a fair tune (prob/poss reboxed) @ 1231.92e no shit at all! From Australia £119.45 for the transfer and £174.58 for the gearbox! I got ripped off on the input shaft but well in the green with these kits!
The job is on now, plenty more research to go before stripping the boxes out. But the parts are here now!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Boxing day isn't called it for nothing!

I bought these a month and a bit ago and my good friend Matt came home for Xmas and today they're here to open up the job!
View attachment 152726A hj60 gearbox kit.

View attachment 152727
Hj60 transfer rebuild kit with the idler spindle.
When I was looking round for these kits a few months back... a price from France was at a fair tune (prob/poss reboxed) @ 1231.92e no shit at all! From Australia £119.45 for the transfer and £174.58 for the gearbox! I got ripped off on the input shaft but well in the green with these kits!
The job is on now, plenty more research to go before stripping the boxes out. But the parts are here now!!:thumbup::thumbup:

I’ll Be watching this one! Just got my BJ71 (13BT w/h55f transmission) prepped to pull the gearbox. Hoping to get my hands on a rebuild kit right away, but it’s my fist experience opening a transmission. I’m hoping to get some insight from the good folks in this forum. I may quiz you later if I run in to any questions! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks man!

Here's a few progress pics of the painting with Buzzweld. It's a great product and goes a long way when brushing on. Chose to brush on as I don't have an adequate mask, but aim to build up the coats with a spraygun..
P1010420.JPG

P1010416.JPG

Goes on real well and has leveled itself well!
P1010418.JPG

Done 2 brush coats on the seams and left the bits that need welding on the outside.
P1010421.JPG

I like it!:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Kg, I like it but it's a time pit this is! Lol:think::thumbup:

Had a good go at it this late afternoon. The first pic wouldn't load so kind of incomplete
P1010423.JPG

Had no degreaser.. but heating oil does a fantastic job.
P1010424.JPG

Some one cared for this once! Reassuring.
P1010425.JPG

Same leaf springs (spacing) as on the hj60, the new spring is a terrain tamer 50mm lift spring. So am aiming on using this set on the rear. Was told that if the 60 is too high then you take the 3rd leaf up out then when it sags bang it back in! Unfortunately hj60 front springs are too short... so am going back down the hilux mk5 route that many years ago fitted to the rear of my hj60 because they have the same spacing as the front of the bj74 and the rear 60
So looking at ebay there's a set of hilux mk5 omu 5+2 50mm lift rear springs.... so looking like a winner!
There's a bit of hit and miss with trying to get a good driving balance with mix matching but... with leaf springs you can always undo the U bolts and take a leaf out. So this is going to be the approach with this!

Back on this tomorrow!

Missed a day yesterday! Did 4 hours work onsite and when I got home I fell asleep on the sofa!!
P1010427.JPG

Cleaning up rear axles are right pita. A steady couple of hours this afternoon got this ready to paint.
P1010429.JPG

Am very impressed with the buzzweld product, 2 heavy brush coats and again drying flat and not many visible brush streaks. So looking forward in getting the rear axle back on. Which is nice to start refitting components and moving into other tasks!
P1010430.JPG

Fuel tank guard turned out good too! Onwards and upwards!:thumbup:

So I've been looking into a solution to the front suspension springs.. from looking and deciding all day yesterday. The front springs are quite unique to the leaf sprung 70,71,73,74 and the 75 being the real heavy MF!

Just adding this in as I spent all day going through different springs and there's only one solution to go with a part thats truly designated to the models above!

All avenues of research are difficult cause aftermarket lift springs don't correspond with different models and spring suppliers! So its quite hard to define the correct used/aftermarket spring.
Screenshot (6).png

Was looking into old man emu 50mm lift springs for the hzj75 and there's the CS006f which is for upto an extra 50kg on the front with 7 leaves and the CS007f which is an 8 leaf pack with extra weight of 51kg to 110kg. From reading the people with these springs have to take a leaf out because the ride is too harsh, which essentially down grades the spring to the CS006f.
Screenshot (8).png

Which is this spring at the front, when looking at leaf springs online you dont actually get to see the exact part that you're buying! So the thing that differentiates the CF006f and the CF007F is that if you look at the pack 3 leaves up theres a leaf missing showing a bigger gap so you can upgrade the smaller spring set with part number D16XL old man emu. But reading that many people take this one out as the ride is too harsh!
Screenshot (9).png

So after a sleepless night I bought the CF006f pair this morning! lol

Instead of the rest of the info sitting on a paper by my laptop..

2 degree castor wedge OMECW2
Longer centre bolt UCB2
3 degree castor kit OMECA77B
75 series extra front leaf D16XL

Can't wait to get them! :thumbup:

Good progress happening I've got it rollin again, not been flat out on it though.
P1010431.JPG

Have the rear axle on with the terrain tamer 60 series springs. That was a challenge fitting the springs to the axle on axle stands! Quite precarious to say the least at times! 2 very healthy coats on all that there!
P1010432.JPG

There's loads of work to carry the paint on to cover this tho! Next phase and more buzzweld! Little Tomy come for a look..
P1010433.JPG

A good milestone and still very early days. I'm really pleased with it and moving it has left space to weld the body up and it's now in the area that actually has lights... Tomy's had a look and says f that! Lol

Onwards and upwards, never look down!:icon-biggrin::thumbup:

It's been a while since having a go at the project! Been back at work and the weekend's go by fast.
P1010457.JPG

So a full day today and have really enjoyed it! Even though the front end is a bit of a chore..
P1010459.JPG

My new old man emu hzj75 front springs took some time to arrive so felt no urgency to strip it down.
P1010460.JPG

Have the bj engine mounts removed to make way for a trial fit of the 1hdt, am looking forward in seeing it sat in there!
P1010461.JPG

Front of the chassis ready for paint!
P1010462.JPG

Have also prepped the front axle case and diff for paint too. So tomorrow morning some painting is on the cards.. depending on how well it dries then hopefully aim to get the axle re fitted.

There's a definite notch on the knuckle bearings and the wiper seals leak. So I'm going to rebuild those when the axle is back on and on axle stands, it's too much of a lump to move around with no wheels on it!!

If you see on the spring pads there's the hole that locates on the centre leaf spring bolt, I've read previously that if you wish to fit larger wheels on your leaf sprung 70 series then you drill a set of new holes 20mm to 40mm lower down and you can manage to stretch the wheel base this way and prevent the larger tyres from catching on the wheel arches! So now its off I think I'll have a go at that.. 30mm I'm thinking!

I'll add some progress tomorrow!:thumbup:

Hi Iwan r you ok looks a top job.

Thanks Tony, I'm well thanks mate! I'm trying my best to do it as tidy as possible lol! Hope you're well man!:thumbup:

Had a 3hr stint this afternoon, have used 2.5 litres of the CIO buzzweld..
P1010464.JPG

Gone on well, really pleased with the finish..
P1010465.JPG

Have masked off the approximate areas where the engine mounts are going.
P1010466.JPG

Again real tidy, the axle has had lashings of paint! A bit ambitious with thinking of re fitting today! But thinking that it'll be a nice evening job next week!!:thumbup:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how safe is the tub on the stands?

They're very stable.. I once had the body of an auto lj71 on my woodworking benches and that was stable until you touched it! Then you'll worry for sure when you're under it!! Lol So had to do something about that.

I think they're for assistance with 2 post lifts and rated at 500kg per stand. So perfect for body off jobs. I'm definitely planning to (re) do the underside of my 81 in 18 months time or so on these stands!:thumbup:

That's good to know. I have a similar set of stands.
:thumbup:

Had a good hit on the project..
P1010467.JPG

Nice to get it rolling again!
P1010468.JPG

Action shot! A lot easier this way of dropping it in from the side as apposed to threading through from the front.
P1010469.JPG

I spent hours yesterday evening looking for a full set of the correct gearbox cross member bolts!
P1010470.JPG
Sat on a 4 x 2 on top of an axle stand on an oak block!

P1010473.JPG

Need to shuffle the engine over to the drivers side (or it'll look like a 2h in a 60! Lol!) So need to make some substantial engine mounts next!
Screenshot (10).png

I've gained some great inspiration from this video!
Screenshot (11).png

So this shows a very good way to go about this! Happy to get this far with it..:thumbup:

Back