Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bj74 1hdt h55f combo!

Awake at dawn and was wondering if the aluminum kzn surf radiator will fit..
P1010474.JPG

Setup the front panel and it fits like a glove! Had to remove the surf side mount plates.
P1010475.JPG

And used the hzj plates that were on the first chinese rad I bought. 80 top hose perfect for the job!
P1010476.JPG

80 lower hose too short.. So when the side plates are alloy welded on then it's problem solved on the radiator side! Happy days!:icon-biggrin::thumbup:

Hi Iwan it's looking like its going ok all the way. It's a big :thumbup: from Tony .

Hi Iwan it's looking like its going ok all the way. It's a big :thumbup: from Tony .

Cheers Tony.. it's a case of chipping away at it really... if you do nowt then it wount progress! I don't suppose you have a gear lever for a 60 series box? By any chance??? Or anyone?
P1010477.JPG

The only movement on this is the dressing up of the front panel. I'm really diggin the 1990's front grill at the moment and have fitted a lower radiator hose off a kzj90 which has a perfect profile but is about 80mm too short in a straight line! Definitely a goer with modification!
Roll on the weekend!:thumbup:

Hi Iwan I will have a look I think I have one if I can get to it..

Good one Tony and thanks too! Just make sure that you take an extra torch when you go into that cave! :laughing-rolling::thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had a very productive weekend with the project. I managed to borrow an engine hoist as there was a bit of shuffling around with the unit. I had fitted the gearbox mount the wrong way around! Which enabled me to move the engine forward by about 30mm. The rear prop fits now! I moved the engine over to the drivers side to centre it but it didn't look right the fan was at on angle to the radiator and gearbox mount had a twist to it!
P1010479.JPG

So it's got a bigger mount on the drivers side just like an 80! I looked into making new mounts out of 100x100x5mm box, but decided to use the bj mounts cut down and turned 180 degrees! Made side plates out of 5mm plate. Works out very solid!
P1010482.JPG

Good to reuse and to modify where you can!
P1010484.JPG

Got it level! And happy with the position..
P1010485.JPG

All supported in the chassis, do need to clean up the welds and weld up the insides of the mounts..
P1010486.JPG

Heading into the gearbox next..
P1010489.JPG

When I got my 60 the front prop was missing and someone had angle grinded a hole in the floor to get to the transfer top bolts! So have been suspicious of the transfer.
P1010490.JPG

The gears so far are good.
P1010491.JPG

But the gearbox mainshaft is shafted
P1010494.JPG

This is showing one of the weak points on the box, bearing in mind it's covered 190k miles! So am looking into buying more gearbox parts! Terrain tamer do a long spline version of the gear, Transfer long gear part no 36212-mod32 and a new mainshaft. There's also a 5th gear long spline gear too.
P1010495_LI.jpg

This plastic piece needs not to be forgotten when refitting!
Great to get the motor in :thumbup: not so good with the gearbox tho!:thumbdown:

Alright bud.

Looks awesome, shame about the gearbox. Cant believe the condition of the chassis

When are you thinking about doing the rebuild? I've got to get a terrain tamer rebuild kit (mate from LA bringing one over in July) and was thinking about the long spline transfer gear... dont know how much the terrain tamer one is but this ones been for sale for months: https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/862567473.htm/

Gimme a bell about bits, starting stripping the VM the end of next week.

dx

Thanks for the link Dan.. it's a pita but has to be done well.. am I correct that the long spline main shaft 115mm for a hj60 61 is a longer spline for 5th gear as the existing shaft doesn't have a spline under the pipe spacer? That's after 5th gear.. the transfer input after 5th has another spacer which is 28mm and the pto pulley is also 28mm. So the longer input will fit without the 28mm spacer?? Having internet issues which is hindering part searching and generally a nuisance not having internet lol all the best! Lol

God I have no idea bud. I'm just getting the bits and handing them over to an old boy up the road called 'John Gearbox'. Im normally a sucker for biting off more than i can chew but it's only March but I've already ran out of enthusiasm for getting out of my depth.

I've got the roll cage and the handbrake cable for you. The lad taking the body wants the screen holders off the bonnet and the indicator cluster. Sorry.
Was there anything else? Can't remember .

A bit of a internet break through as there's no rain! And the internet provider is saying that the wires have come loose in the house, will charge 85 FFS!

So after looking on ebay AU I've managed to buy the transfer long spline input which will eliminate the spacer and pto gear adding an extra 56mm of spline contact from the original 32mm so a strong 88mm contact now, at £158 compared to 385e. Plus post! Good upgrade that

Also a Japanese made main shaft for £206 etc!

Remeasured to see if the 80 box would fit and it's 125mm too long and I really don't want to cut the cross tube out thats in the way!

So delay now on the gearbox 10 - 15 days, plenty more to do so am looking into doin the welding on the body!

You can come across set backs and can loose enthusiasm, but now back on track!:thumbup:

I've been having a go at getting some progression going..
P1010496.JPG

The top of the panel here was full of filler and the center of it had a sharp scrape dent! The lower sill is shot but it does still have the profile shape left in it.
P1010497.JPG

I went to the steel yard nearby with the rusty part and an old mate there folded up a 1 metre long section. Never done any folding before but a relief to get a replacement!
P1010498.JPG

Quite a good fit too!
P1010499.JPG

Made a center sill piece and as all the surrounding body parts are spot welded together so that's the plan on fixing these bits in. Also I'm lead to believe that the sills have been full of water and rusted out.. So have a plan to make a drain on each side.
P1010507.JPG

Have fitted the best passenger side door that I have to get a better idea of the body line . Have the original drivers side door off this truck which is very damaged but there's a straight section which will make the top piece. Also interesting the reinforcement for the b roof pillar..
P1010510.JPG

Got a bit side tracked with the wheel arches.. Because I want to paint these in the toyota 045 white paint, so there's a contrast between the black chassis and the white inner arches. The original seal was real cracked and I was suspecting whats under there.. Started with the seam and underneath there's rust, Any thing in an angle grinder just smudge's the waste and the best way I found was a cold chisel and a 3lb lump hammer to lightly peck away at it. Still a bit more to remove there but they're in great shape.
P1010513.JPG

A bit of rust showing up which you'd never treat with a the original covering in place. A bit of a chore but I've enjoyed it up to now!

Am doing some research in to what to paint these in... thinking of getting the raptor 4 litre tintable supplied with the 045 code white... definitely not painting these black! :thumbup:

Hi looking good one top job on it's way will have to come and have a look at it one day .:thumbup:

Hi looking good one top job on it's way will have to come and have a look at it one day .:thumbup:

Cheers Tony! Sorry for the late reply, have just got the engineer round today. It's been 19 days!!!!!!! Without internet! Unbelievable as I'm paying for it!! Enough said, but not happy at all!! Always welcome to call by mate! Looking forward to it man!:thumbup:

Had a bit of a break with the project and have come to realise that when your faced with a challenge then there needs a time of thinking and planning..

10 days later back on the case early this morning! It amazes me how long you can tat around with pieces of tin repair parts!

P1010519.JPG

Got a decent line on the sill! And rear floor patches ready to go. Step ladders are out in force on this job lol!

P1010521.JPG

Drivers side middle panel on it's way here, My thought was not to do one side and have to start all over again on the opposite side, thinkin it'll be more of a chore later after doing the other side..
P1010523.JPG

So firstly I work with wood! The top weld was with zinc galvanized rattle can and it certainly is weld through, as I intend to use it on the inner areas, I really struggle to keep a straight line when I can't see a fekin thing lol. But the welds look high... wire speed set at 1 or would it be better to spots (7 o clock) or set the wire speed lower?? If you know then it'll be great for you to chip in as I'm keen not to make a mess of this! Cheers all:thumbup:

Hi Iwan will have to come and see wot you r up to be good to catch up:thumbup:

Had a good few hours on the project. Just have to chip away at it really!

P1010529.JPG

Since starting the build, I've been wondering about the 24volt wiring. It came with most of the relays missing and have been contemplating whether to convert it to 12volt. I've got a 24v starter motor and no 80 series alternator. So either buy a 100 series starter or buy a Coaster 1hdt bus 24volt alternator... either way an expensive resolve! So as a bit of a break and allowing research on welding panels, decided to have a good look at the loom..

Found a round light lj70 gearbox wiring harness straight fit on the bj74 loom and various other bits. Gained some intell on the wiring to come...

P1010528.JPG

From the body swap on my 60 back in 2010/11, I remembered that some where I had a white bag of 60 series relays... Saturday morning "Where are they?" Found a stash of really rare parts! And the 8 or 9 relays that I needed were back in place in the 74 loom!

P1010530.JPG

My girlfriend just said "Whats that pile of old junk!" Lol "These are very important parts!"

Dash boards are bent but sure to reuse one, the top one is original to the truck so thats the one.
P1010538.JPG

Have got the motor out for the last time to finish welding on the mounts. Have run out of buss weld so at least they're painted and finished.
P1010539.JPG

Got this sill section nearly ready to weld in.
P1010540.JPG

And well happy with how this side has come on!
Managed to come across this guys channel at the weekend, which has given me some insight and info on bodywork fabrication methods etc..

Sorry if I'm boring! Lol:thumbup:

All good cheers Tony!
P1010546.JPG

Managed to patch up the passenger side middle section.. sill line good and only a bit of distortion on the top line. About 2 to 3 mm when you put a straight edge along it..
P1010547.JPG

Pretty pleased with the effort there. But to be honest the project is quite a big job and am looking forward in seeing some decent milestones being achieved... body back on is the goal at the moment! But like everything it takes it course! I'm liking and enjoying it though!:thumbup:

Had a good few hours on the project. Just have to chip away at it really!

View attachment 155037
Since starting the build, I've been wondering about the 24volt wiring. It came with most of the relays missing and have been contemplating whether to convert it to 12volt. I've got a 24v starter motor and no 80 series alternator. So either buy a 100 series starter or buy a Coaster 1hdt bus 24volt alternator... either way an expensive resolve! So as a bit of a break and allowing research on welding panels, decided to have a good look at the loom..

Found a round light lj70 gearbox wiring harness straight fit on the bj74 loom and various other bits. Gained some intell on the wiring to come...

View attachment 155036

From the body swap on my 60 back in 2010/11, I remembered that some where I had a white bag of 60 series relays... Saturday morning "Where are they?" Found a stash of really rare parts! And the 8 or 9 relays that I needed were back in place in the 74 loom!

View attachment 155038
My girlfriend just said "Whats that pile of old junk!" Lol "These are very important parts!"

Dash boards are bent but sure to reuse one, the top one is original to the truck so thats the one.
View attachment 155039
Have got the motor out for the last time to finish welding on the mounts. Have run out of buss weld so at least they're painted and finished.
View attachment 155040
Got this sill section nearly ready to weld in.
View attachment 155042
And well happy with how this side has come on!
Managed to come across this guys channel at the weekend, which has given me some insight and info on bodywork fabrication methods etc..

Sorry if I'm boring! Lol:thumbup:
Just the opposite Iwan. .

Back