Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bj74 1hdt h55f combo!

Cheers mate! Just checking! Lol:thumbup:

P1010556.JPG

Progress is steady had a good day yesterday and plumbed in the new brake lines, have been lucky that the original Billstein yellow shocks still fit with whats going on... cleaned them up and now painted up with ford blue! I believe that they're the same as the old man emu counterpart.... on a side note I'm not very happy at all with the "dirty hardware" that's gone back in! So def going to revisit this..
P1010557.JPG

A few days before I got the other side sill patch in ... and happy with that, but still a little bit more needed!
P1010558.JPG

I got my gearbox parts in this morning! Nice to say the least! Main shaft made by "Seamaster TAIYO KIKO MFG ltd" (labeled as terrain tamer) Same maker as the hzj75 input shaft. The long spline transfer input.... great upgrade!
P1010564.JPG

Factory hj60 setup.
P1010563.JPG

Not many words to say, but much stronger!
P1010561.JPG

So this is the mission and subject.. Have watched a few youtube vids to prime me into this job. From what I've seen so far is they're quite a hard nut to break into! Have seen a guy angle grinding the inner bearing centre to get the shafts out so have to keep that in mind!
P1010562.JPG

I was looking into thin jaw pullers and managed to buy these 3 Sykes Pickavant 217 legs. They fit in the circlip slot on this 80 series bearing.. So provided I can run them/pull on them. I'm reasonably confident that I can get the bearings out without having to cut the centre of the bearing!

I'll add some pic's of my findings! :thumbup:

Hi Iwan,

I've only just spotted this thread..........

I dont get on here much anymore. :|

Wow you've been busy! It looks very different to when I saw it last year in your barn! :wtf:

I've just read the entire thread, great work!!! :clap: :thumbup:

Hoping to get out with Matt on another trip soon. :flags-australia:

Good to hear from you Ben man!

Yeah kinda tucked away in the back of the garage section here mate! :tearsofjoy:!

Thanks for the comment mate, you've gotta keep on going in a progressive manner! Long haul!:thumbup:

Reactions: Ben
A few pics and some findings!
P1010573.JPG

Noticed yesterday this.. looks like job number 1071 and LEE was responsible for the job! I thought must be good if he's happy to put his name on it!
Now lets take a little look at LEE's workmanship! Don't laugh LOL!
Screenshot (12).png

Was expecting this!
P1010566.JPG

But got this! At least I know the name of the person who done this! So it looks like there was a massive struggle to remove this bearing before!
P1010567.JPG

On closer inspection, if you look at 10 and 4 o clock it looks like it was drilled to get the old bearing centre out. Then the washer to replace the circlip over the filled circlip grove!
P1010570.JPG

Looking inside the gears and sincros are all good and the rest of the counter shaft looks alright. Haven't the budget to replace the counter gear shaft so I'll have to keep LEE's washer and reweld it back on later!
Hope fully the rest of the parts inside are good... to keep optimistic but a bit of a bad start! Lol:thumbup:

I've had a really good day on this today! After picking up some sealey puller parts last night after work.. I was interested whether they were going to be of use at 8 am this morning!
P1010569.JPG

A pic of the 5th gear assembly from the other day..
P1010589.JPG

So the sealey parts that I researched and picked up are the centre 3 leg mount and the centre thread which link the second hand sykes pickavant legs really well! The 10t hydraulic ram is from a kennedy 75 -100mm hydraulic separator set. A friend of mine lent me it on a "If you break it... you replace it!" Basis!

The combination made very light work of removing this bearing!
P1010592.JPG

Top view of whats inside..
P1010594.JPG

Again the combination has made light work of it!
P1010597.JPG

The separator has a strange thread pitch, I spent some time looking for the correct long bolts to thread through the separator m12 1.5 go so far but as it is lent to me I opted for knocking chisels between the case instead of knarling the threads! Lol!
P1010598.JPG

I managed to get 3 out of the 4 bearings out! But this one wasn't within the capability or reach with the tools I have. I have the new input shaft so it doesn't really matter..
P1010601.JPG

So this is the full kit that I've been loaned! Taking out the remaining centre from the pic above..
P1010604.JPG

When you remove it there's this, pic taken to remember how this goes back.
P1010605.JPG

There's a bit going on there but it's quite straightforward.
P1010610.JPG

New shaft for a recky..

P1010612.JPG

3rd use for the bearing separator.. a bit of a surprise when it popped!
P1010614.JPG

There's this ball to set back in, to remember.
P1010615.JPG

Got a bit involved and missed a picture, but got to know the working of the lhs part!
P1010616.JPG

This here! Definitely correct how it stands there.
P1010618.JPG
Input shaft mockup there and in 4th gear.
P1010619.JPG

Last hit of the late afternoon. Input shaft..
But what an increadable bit kit in this situation this tool is like! I looked on ebay and you can buy this for £60 - £70! And in this terrain it hasn't failed!
:thumbup::icon-biggrin:

Do you have a link to the tool please Iwan?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've had a look for you, but dont seem to be able to find it again!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kennedy-...m1ed6feeefc:g:b3wAAOSwX0db7Fba&frcectupt=true Looks like this one but the price has increased!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-B...064338&hash=item487969b772:g:K88AAOSw-W5UyqLA

This is exactly the same kit, same case format and contents by Sealey.. this is how I realised that the sealey parts are interchangeable.

PS982/8011 is the part number for the centre puller thread and PS982/9013 is the number for the 3 leg top frame. If you go onto the sealey website in the tool part section you can get the part numbers and price, then you have to goto your nearest sealey agent (local motor mart) to order. These two parts were about £35 so good value to adapt other bits of kit! Hope it helps:thumbup:

If you keep an eye on Sykes Pickavant used puller kits on ebay you can get you can get some good deals, cause with these type of tools you can never get enough different combinations etc!

I've had a look for you, but dont seem to be able to find it again!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kennedy-...m1ed6feeefc:g:b3wAAOSwX0db7Fba&frcectupt=true Looks like this one but the price has increased!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-B...064338&hash=item487969b772:g:K88AAOSw-W5UyqLA

This is exactly the same kit, same case format and contents by Sealey.. this is how I realised that the sealey parts are interchangeable.

PS982/8011 is the part number for the centre puller thread and PS982/9013 is the number for the 3 leg top frame. If you go onto the sealey website in the tool part section you can get the part numbers and price, then you have to goto your nearest sealey agent (local motor mart) to order. These two parts were about £35 so good value to adapt other bits of kit! Hope it helps:thumbup:

If you keep an eye on Sykes Pickavant used puller kits on ebay you can get you can get some good deals, cause with these type of tools you can never get enough different combinations etc!
Perfect. Thanks mate.

Have been working out how the clutch was going to work on this..
P1010629.JPG

The clutch plate on the left is the 80 series 24 valve and it has 15 spline coarse 300mm external and 180mm internal. Then many of the hzj's have 21 spline fine spline and 275mm external plate measurement!
My hzj75 input shaft is fine spline! So had to do a fair bit of research to find the correct plate to use!

P1010630.JPG

So found out that this plate fits the bill! 21 fine spline 300mm ext and 180mm intenal. This is off an Isuzu elf NPR 4334cc over 5 ton capacity lorry etc..
Part numbers
Isuzu 8973899100 £180 + vat cheapest
Blue print ADZ 93125 £190 to £270
Exedy full kit exeisd136u £350
Aisin DG 321U £124.86 delivered from Germany! So I got this one..
P1010632.JPG

80 coarse spline..

P1010633.JPG

Mix of bits hzj75 input and clutch fork, 80 series thrust bearing and 60 series front plate!

P1010635.JPG

24valve fly wheel and bolt set and a big thanks to @AndycruiserguyLomas thanks man!:thumbup: With a 40mm od 15mm id x 14mm deep pilot bearing and the original 12v auto backing plate!

P1010637.JPG

All lined up and using @Towpack 's cover plate! Thanks again mate!:thumbup:

P1010639.JPG

Ready for the gear box now! Using a 24volt 24v 80 starter motor! Job's a good one on this front, nowt incorrect..
P1010622.JPG

Changed the plunger and contacts in the starter, parts from a lj70 starter motor!

P1010628.JPG

Battling with the body work, slow but steady! Happy to get some good progress happening!

Gear box reassembly next and mounted in the chassis! Then big push to get the body back on! :icon-biggrin::thumbup:

Hi Awan that is a lot of work you have put in on the cruiser all the bits you don't see itson it's way a Big :thumbup: keep up look that and you well get to the end .

Yo Tone! A very valid point you're making there mate! I see it as climbing a mountain and you have to get to base camp 1 2 3 or 4 etc before you meet the summit of completion! Determination and funds help you to achieve the goal!

Some days you go at it and you feel that you don't feel you've progressed, but when you take a step ahead with what you've done. Then you feel you're pushing forward and heading towards the final result really!

But over all it's that you are enjoying the experience and are satisfied with the result's of the effort....

Cheers mate! :thumbup::thumbup:

The gear box saga continues, on closer inspection of the lower counter gear where it was welded it's shaped like a cone! And it looked like it was spinning in the centre of the bearing! Soooo sh*t or dust time!
P1010645.JPG

Gave my old mate Tony a shout and He was willing to let this go! So it's time to have a look inside this one lol!
P1010644.JPG

On our way to the cave! Equipped with 2 torches and spare batteries for both! Lol

P1010647.JPG

The trouble with these boxes is that you can't carry them solo, so outdoor strip down needed. The main/output shaft is good so a pleasing sight!

P1010649.JPG

Got it down to a point where I can carry it to the bench.

P1010651.JPG

This is what I needed to see on the first one! Someone has been in there though!

P1010652.JPG

Quite laden with h55f components now, but the best thing about it is that I have parts to compare! So on examination of bits and pieces I can select the better parts and achieve the goal..

Was really good to catch up with you Tony and your mate today! Thanks again bud!:thumbup:

Yes good to catch up with you 2 love the pics of the 45 good look with it hope to see you in a bit :thumbup:

Had a good hit at this over the last couple of days. Pretty full on to say the least!

P1010659.JPG

Got the 2nd box broken down to bits yesterday.. also broke the 2nd new main shaft to bits too!

P1010657.JPG

Counter or lay shaft in great condition after doing the measures in the FSM. So the rhs one looks like it was machined with a sleave?

P1010663.JPG

So after going through both sets of gears etc, on close examination I've got the best of the lot in there!
First attempt of fitting the main shaft rear bearing.... they're hard to remove and hard to refit!

P1010664.JPG

So this morning decided that I needed to make some kind of tool to do it! Top of an axle stand with a m12 domed head carriage bolt welded to the inside of it.. original nut welded to the end of it, wound on tight to the output shaft!
P1010665.JPG

With a 2" box sleave and plate welded to the end! Wind the m12 nut up FT with a large stiltion stopping it from turning! Aim of the game to close the gap and keep the fixed washer on the pin inside! Had to use a scaffold bar on the 19mm drop ring spanner! Incredible!Lol
P1010667.JPG

Got some decent shape on it by here, did a clearance check with the feeler gauges and good readings on the 4 points.. happy and didn't damage anything!
P1010670.JPG

Nice to have a different scene and best to move it before I can't carry it!
P1010671.JPG

Best parts of the 5th gear selected and with the best top cover!

What a mission! Followed the FSM to a tee. But it was very hard work which is fraught with problem solving and was very tasking on the mind! Very satisfying though! :icon-cool::icon-biggrin::thumbup:

Also if anyone needs a new mainshaft? It's still the cheapest in Europe! PM me!:thumbup:

Ha Iwan wot a grad job with that looking to de comeing on with it keep up that top job it's a big :thumbup: from Tony.

Have had another busy day today!
P1010672.JPG

Moved on into the transfer, this is the one off the 1st gearbox a 1989 hj60 with 190k on the clock!
P1010673.JPG

I got a bit stressed this morning when I put the top cover on the gearbox. It kept getting stuck in reverse, until I noticed that the cushion seal that is under the gear stick ball was missing! New seals and bearings in the transfer bits fitted so far.
P1010675.JPG

A pic taken for orientation of bit's in the transfer output really!
P1010676.JPG

My mate's new bearing separator that he lent to me has had a hell of a hammering on this job and I think it would be rude to return it to him how it is now! So that's mine now Lol !
Managed to split it to bit's but need a press to get it back together! Bad layout on my part in the pic.. the shaft is the wrong way around!
P1010677.JPG

So these are the later 38mm idler gear shafts, the second box has 34mm older version? It's quite incredible the wear on the old one! 190k miles 2h, Luckily a new one was in the rebuild kit..
P1010679.JPG

So about as far as I got today, good progress all the same! The middle idler gear if you can see is set back from beast of an input gear because the thrust washer that's behind it has become dislodged and this is actually a good way to tell if it has done so.. the gears are inline now!

I'm adding many pictures for a few reasons, so I've got a record of what I've done, because I forget, to share and when I was researching this I wanted to see what I was going to come across and didn't find it!

If someone gains some intel from this then there's a bonus!:thumbup:

Yo Tone, cheers mate! Had the last shot at this this morning!
P1010681.JPG

So a full rebuild kit on the transfer and am real pleased to have knocked this lot out! Since Tuesday early evening to a few hours Saturday morning! And after sitting down this afternoon.. I am absolutely knackered from concentrating so much and persisting with it!

All the gears change well and the tolerances were double checked and they're to the lower level as to the higher level (more worn).

So just need to borrow a torque meter to measure the rear prop flange bolt... which needs to be between 1.5 to 2.4 newton meters for a new bearing.. reused bearing 0.7 to 1.2 nm. So possibly a couple more pics on that but quite frankly I'll be happy not to see a shaft, bearing, seal and what ever else is in there for quite a while! LOL!

P1010684.JPG

Couldn't of done it without these to make this happen!

Back to work next week after a gap to do this, so just be a few days here and there for this project. Shame I didn't have the progression to drop the body back on but that's also demanding more time!

More to follow!:thumbup:

A few body progress pics..
P1010689.JPG

Been concentrating on getting the body on it's way into epoxy primer/surfacer. Am going to use HB body vehicle 989 2k. This side isn't too far off, but do need to move the stands at the back to prime and raptor toyota 045 white. Same gig on the inside of the wheel arches..

P1010688.JPG

This has taken some prep time, have removed all the factory sound deadening off the floor. It was all loose and cracked. The inside was absolutely filthy but it's quite close to epoxy then raptor.

P1010690.JPG

Have stripped the screen and the last of the roof. All of the engine side of the bulkhead is clear, rust treated and close to epoxy prime and raptor 045 toyota white! Then finish the passenger side after finishing welding it!

Do you epoxy primer, then seam seal then top coat? Not going to rush this part but getting real close to be refitting this!:think::thumbup:

Back