Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bleeding the AHC system

frank rabbets

Guru
Very soon I will have fitted the new rams, front and rear. They will be full of air. How do I bleed the entire system please?

I think it was working OK before as there were 11 graduations used on the reservoir going from H to L.

Are there just the 4 bleed nipples by the spheres or some more?

Thanks
Frank

There is one more, on the cylindrical accumulator on the lhs.

You will have to do a couple of rounds of:
- pump up pressure to N or HI
- stop engine and let out pressure thru' bleeder, while car goes down
- check fluid level / fill, and then start engine and let it rise again
- move to the next corner and repeat.

Thanks uHu

Will the pump start up with no pressure in the system? I have not allowed the reservoir to run dry.

Frank

Thanks uHu

Will the pump start up with no pressure in the system? I have not allowed the reservoir to run dry.

Frank
Yes. No probs.
The system is easy to bleed. The pump is supposed to handle any air up there; and the shocks/rams will let bubbles travel to the top, into the pipe, and then when you open the bleeder and let the ram compress, the bubbles will travel with the fluid out to the catch-bottle.

There is also a procedure for an Active Test to force the pump in case it is colicky.

Thanks for your help!

Quite easy to put the new rear rams in. I put the 4 little bolts in the lathe and turned off the bottom 3 threads on them so they popped into the nuts by feel. You can get to 1 of the bolts either side of the car through the gap between the boy and chassis using forceps to drop the bolt in. Bleeding was easy but I got through a 5L bottle with and empty system. I sucked out what was in the reservoir but did not drain/start the pump without plenty in the reservoir.

Frank

Back