Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

blown transfer box - Wales trip

SpinDrift said:
No news :( I'll give WCO a call in the morning

I'd be interested in acquiring your bust one - I'm curious as to what fails in these things (she'll kill me if she finds out, I've got enough 'projects' on the go :lol: ).

Once an Analyst, always an Analyst :roll: .

Bob.

SpinDrift said:
Hi Bob, I'll ask WCO to hang on to it.

Thanks, drop me a PM when you have sourced a replacement (in case the old one has to be repaired) and we can organise shipping and Beer tokens.

I feel another strip-down thread coming on :thumbup:

Bob.

BobMurphy said:
Bob.

One thing is for sure, when Bob does a strip down, the explanation and pictures are first class.

Graham

Got a call from the garage today. The garage originally thought that the problem was just in the transfer box (lack of reverse), although I did explain to them what had happend. However they confirmed this morning that I am officially a member of the blown diff club. It likely that it was the damaged diff that broke the transfer box, possibly by sending shocks back to it. Maybe if I didn't have to drive the vehicle when the diff blew I could have avoided the damage to the transfer box. Anyway, I had to get off the hill somehow. Both the transfer box and the diff have been sourced and should be fitted in the next couple of days and I will hopefully be mobile (but poorer) by the weekend.

cheers

BobMurphy said:
SpinDrift said:
Hi Bob, I'll ask WCO to hang on to it.

Thanks, drop me a PM when you have sourced a replacement (in case the old one has to be repaired) and we can organise shipping and Beer tokens.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

I am going to hang on to the old bits for now. I'll let you know when I decide to get rid of them.

cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
SpinDrift said:
Hi Bob,

I am going to hang on to the old bits for now. I'll let you know when I decide to get rid of them.

cheers

That's fine - I was just curious as to what was going on in there.

If it could be repaired, I'd do it just to have a spare available for anyone who's stuck.

Bob.

Got the LC back. Its good to be back on the road :D I am pleased witht the work West Coast Offroad have done :thumbup:

The front diff and the transfer box were replaced with used units. The rest of the front transmission seems to be fine. While the truck was on the ramp I asked Paul to drain the rear diff and check it for metal bits - just to make sure there is nothing broken in there. And while he was at it I also asked him to drain and replace the ATF.

I have the broken bits but haven't had time to look at them yet.

cheers

Glad to hear you have your LC back on the road again. Nice one :clap:

SpinDrift said:
Got the LC back. Its good to be back on the road :D I am pleased witht the work West Coast Offroad have done :thumbup:

The front diff and the transfer box were replaced with used units. The rest of the front transmission seems to be fine. While the truck was on the ramp I asked Paul to drain the rear diff and check it for metal bits - just to make sure there is nothing broken in there. And while he was at it I also asked him to drain and replace the ATF.

I have the broken bits but haven't had time to look at them yet.

cheers
Another good :thumbup: for Paul and his crew at West Coast 4x4 up in Southport.

Good on you Paul.

Graham

SpinDrift said:
Embarrassingly, this seems to be something that is commonly seen on green ovals but never or rarely on LC's. :oops:

Good to hear you've got you truck sorted but the comment you made above just isn't true. :naughty:

The Land Rover LT230 Transfer box is well known to be about the best thing to come out of Solihull & is really well regarded in the wider off-road world. Check Pirate if you want some unbiased evidence.

You'd blow CV's shafts & diffs long before you'd ever break an LT230, they really are as tough as nails. The Borg Warner boxes fitted to the later Rangies aren't as good.

Brett said:
SpinDrift said:
Embarrassingly, this seems to be something that is commonly seen on green ovals but never or rarely on LC's. :oops:

Good to hear you've got you truck sorted but the comment you made above just isn't true. :naughty:

The Land Rover LT230 Transfer box is well known to be about the best thing to come out of Solihull & is really well regarded in the wider off-road world. Check Pirate if you want some unbiased evidence.

You'd blow CV's shafts & diffs long before you'd ever break an LT230, they really are as tough as nails. The Borg Warner boxes fitted to the later Rangies aren't as good.

Hi Brett,

OK, point taken. I stand corrected.

cheers

Back