Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Body Mounts

IRLGW

Since I bought my landcruiser around 8 months ago there has been a violent clunking from the chassis when driving on rough surfaces/potholes. The bushings and shocks appear to be ok but followinmg a suggestiomn from Karl I noticed that there were no bolts in the body mounts situated above the axle and the rear corner mounts appear to be broken/dislocated so I suspect that is the problem. The 93 cruiser is virtually rust free so it doesnt appear consistent with the condition of the vehicle. Is this a common failure or has anyone experience of these and what they should look like bolts size etc. One theory is that a previous owner was going to fit a body lift but then didn't I horror to think what price replacements might be. Does anyone know the correct bolt sizes for starters on the said mounts?

Hi

That's uncanny you mention that
I was under my truck this weekend and found "missing bolts on both sides of the truck on the mounts above the rear axle"
After some panic and sending Chris and Karl pictures, they were confirmed to be a type of bump stop and did now have bolts and are not part of the body <> chassis mount points.

Hope that's the thing you're talking about. Here ate pics of mine

[attachment=1:2dvy3s99]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339496345.980394.jpg[/attachment:2dvy3s99]

[attachment=0:2dvy3s99]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339496358.039544.jpg[/attachment:2dvy3s99]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339496345.980394.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339496345.980394.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,028
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339496358.039544.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339496358.039544.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 987
Matt

Have you now cable-tied your chassis and truck body together?? Let us know how that works for you :lol:

It's working great Gary. They're these really strong new cable ties made out of lions mane. ;)
The rubbers are stuck on, no bolts. Go figure!?

That looks familiar alright - however what is the remedy to cure the banging? I'll maybe wedge some wood in there and take it for a drive just to make sure that that is the problem.. Could be just the rear mounts have failed then..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think it unlikely that those two mounts whether missing in action or dead at the scene would contribute to any noise such as you are describing. They just support the rear cargo area a bit. Maybe more to just dampen it than anything else. When I did my BL one just fell off there and then. They aren't bump stops Matt, I think I described them more as bumpers. Pretty inconsequential I'd have thought.

The problem with looking for clunking etc on a cruiser is that the parts involved are so huge, than a wiggle and jiggle just won't show up the fault. Sure it isn't the jack loose in the boot. We've had that before.

The lion's mane tie wraps are good, but the ones made from a Giant's beard are much better in wet conditions by the way.

Chris

Yep, ignore the ones above the axle. I think the body mount bolts are M10, can't help you with lengths but they shouldn't be too expensive from Mr T if you only need one for each back corner.

The thing is that its a pretty hefty clunk and as frequent as the bumps themselves- so I would assume that it would be fairy obvious. Initially I thought it was the shocks but after I removed them it was clear that they weren't that old and had plenty of resistance. I also used a large pry bar to check the bushing with no obvious problems. I can now see why the previous owner might have sold his pride and joy!

I read somewhere on another forum (either tlock or h8mud) that the body mounts were to be re-torqued as part of the the service routine? I'll have to crawl back under and double check the aft most mounts and photograph them to determine if they are indeed broken. If that doesn't show anything I'll hire a midget to ride underneath while I surf the speed bumps :shhh:

It seems that the rear offside mount was the culprit responsible for my torture :!: certainly saved a time consuming suspension strip down and top marks to Karl for suggesting that I look there.

This LC is pretty immaculate so I'm curious as to how it happened, as I don't think that it has ever seen a field (never mind a rock). I cut and beat the old one to get it down through the bracket welded to the chassis and it looks to me like they cannot be replaced individually without lifting the whole body clear. There is a piece of a rubber exhaust mount in it for now but if I have to lif the body to fix it then I guess there will be a 2'' lift going inat the same time.

I have attached pics of the broken mount and the not-yet-broken mount if anyone else has a curious banging ( in their yoke) then look at your mounts first

Attachments

• Bad2.JPG
    Bad2.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 907
  • Good.JPG
    Good.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 741
  • Bad3.JPG
    Bad3.JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 865
Back